Quick tournament

• In an army with a Leviathan, Centurions and Terminators the Ironclad is not an obvious target and thus survived easily and did decent damage for the points whilst taking ground. I loved it. Armour of Contempt with a T8 is excellent and I could see a trio of them in a list could be a viable tournament strategy.

• Terminators I keep as a single unit to maximise Strategum usage. Fury of the First for example.

• Ah the Centurions... :) they were under fire most the game and also were able to put out a lot of shots. I do miss Core but being an Ultramarine isn't so bad as we can net rerolls from the following:

- Avenge the Fallen used on the right large scale units.

- Sons of Guilliman provides rerolls of ones to any Infantry squad. Which I forgot to use.

I really rate the unit. I'd like to see, with Apothecary support, whether they can last some of the more obnoxious opponents out there is something I'd like to see and dread in equal measure.

Edited by Captain Idaho

My Centurions always got hammered in bad matchups (IE: Tau/Admec, etc) but that was before the indirect nerfs to everyone buy IG.

So I was considering a Leviathan myself now. AoC makes him an interesting choice now, but not sure if it's worth the points/CP cost.

The bike conversation is interesting. I can say that as someone who plays White Scars a lot, the Outrider's biggest glaring weakness is the paramount requirement to "ABC". (Always be chargin')

The traditional bikes are definitely more bang for the buck. (I just am tired of the old models).

The Centurions are coming back into my White Scars. But with Encirclement, it makes them easier to get into CC fast. I really like the AP bonus on the drill/fists in the era of AoC.

A lot of people have taken claws out of lists. The -1 AP is so deplorable against AoC, that claws/bolt rifles are definitely seeing a decline, and massed firepower, without AP is getting more popular very recently. (Before I felt it was a real debate on the 'Bolt rifle" vs. 'Assault rifle" usage, but perhaps not anymore.

As usual with competitive marines the ongoing annoyance for me is the need for fairly expensive HQ's to keep it going. Upgraded Apothecaries, upgraded Chaplains, in some cases upgraded Libbies, and then you're actual HQ's you want in the mix for re-rolls and support. (I always wished they moved the Techmarine to Elites).

In a larger Dread based list (especially with a Leviathan) I think the Tech marine can be pretty clutch but competes in that overcrowded HQ spot.

But like you say there's a lot of mileage out of the first born units. I've pulled my own termies out again, and really anything with a 2+ save is much more reliable now.

Definitely feeling the Lightning Claws struggling slightly against AoC. However, they're there mainly as cheaper Terminators and to put a lot of reliable attacks out.

Also agree with the Bikes. Any new Bike squadron I'd build would be using the HH models I think.

I wouldn't be surprised for my list to take a hammering from certain match ups, but I'm hoping to just edge out enough survivability to compete a little. The Leviathan interests me in a list that might provide at least a little saturation. I'm wondering if 2 of them would be powerful, though the CP impact is dreadful. (see what I did there?)

• 4 weeks later...

Right oh, first tournament back was completed and I must firstly say it was a delight and I really enjoyed it! Lots of cool people and got on with all my opponents and even made a friend for future games.

Our feelings on Lightning Claws were unfounded yet completely accurate - they did struggle to do lots of damage but that's because they were damage 1! I say this somewhat in jest but you'll see what I meant!

My 1st opppnent was Death Guard. There's definitely something broken in the Marines army facing off against them, at least with my rather Dreadnought, dare I say it, Death Guard feeling list!

I just couldn't kill anything. I dragged it out and scored well as I could but I just couldn't fight on a equal footing. Mortarion just ate what he touched and all the special rules for Death Guard just overwhelmed me. I did net some good kids and have some good moments, but it was a convincing loss!

Didn't help my Leviathan fluffed 2+ saves, resulting in early death...

The next game was against a now new friend who took Astra Millitarum with lots of mortars, 3 Tank Commanders and a Baneblade. Plus a Manticore and Basilisk...

I lost first turn roll and for some reason, likely rust, I didn't use cover to deploy and lost the Leviathan, Ironclad and a few Marines straight off the bat. Everything else was an uphill battle but I score high and it was tight right up until the end when all my units ran out of steam and just... died.

Still plenty of kills and didn't feel bad at all.

The last game was against my Ultramarines friend who was enjoying himself also.

We knew each other's army and had a great game. He's a new player and even so, took some lumps out of me before going down. I dread facing him when he's more experienced as he'll be a force to reckon with.

Summary and where next

I consider a big overhaul. I'll take the Terminators still as they were a hefty core that served me well.

Likewise the Tacticals did great as their heavy weapons and overcharged plasma were useful enough at times. Cheap enough.

No way I need going forward is something that does a lot of damage quickly.

I'll get the Attack Bikes painted up, add a Vindicator Laser Destroyer to the list and see what else I can add around.

The Centurions were ok but weren't game changing. Maybe again in a list with better killing potential of the hard targets I struggled with (big tanks, Mortarion...) they might supplement those killing units.

A Drop Pod Devastator Squad with 3 Grav Cannons and a Multi-melta would help put pressure on opponents but I'm thinking of even adding Guilliman, which is something I never really considered for my style.

However, marching up the table with Terminators instead of dropping in, means saving on a Chaplain potentially for a Techmarine, to repair Dreads.

Alternatively, maybe the Kratos alongside Vindicator Laser Destroyer might do me some good...

Special Mention

The Chapter Champion performed well in all games, netting good kills and even helping to kill Blightlord Terminators in melee, which is no mean feat.

Something to remember and it is delicious to do!

Got a new list for the next tournament now so some painting needed, taking into account the killing power I lacked and what troubles me. (Big and tough things, not wimpy infantry)

I'm actually fairly happy with the list as it kept the Dreadnoughts for my funnsies, kept the Terminators who provided attacking elements to objectives and are quite tough, uses a Techmarine to fix and boost the tanks whilst I increased man power too.

I found I needed more troops on objectives hence more Tactical Marines. I did have to drop the Chapter Champion for the Techmarine but can't be helped for a tournament.

I also dropped the Assassin. Whilst useful I found the CP for changes and just opponents targeting them as a priority meant I wasn't getting game changing results with them.

Oh and Attack Bikes! Fast moving melta for objectives and killing vehicles is important and I have no excuse to skirk them.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines)

+ HQ +

Captain on Bike [125pts]: Paragon of War, Thunder hammer, Vengeance of Ultramar, Warlord

[95pts]: Mantra of Strength, Litany of Hate, Storm bolter

Techmarine [70pts]: Astartes Chainsword, Servo-arm, The Primarch's Wrath

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad [123pts]
• 4x Space Marine
• Space Marine Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Storm bolter
• Space Marine w/ Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [123pts]
• 4x Space Marine
• Space Marine Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Storm bolter
• Space Marine w/ Heavy bolter

Tactical Squad [164pts]
• 6x Space Marine
• Space Marine Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Combi-plasma
• Space Marine w/Grav-cannon

+ Elites +

Ironclad Dreadnought [140pts]: Dreadnought chainfist, Hurricane bolter, Meltagun

Relic Terminator Squad [385pts]:

×10 w/
• ×1 Relic Terminator: Chainfist, Combi-bolter
• ×3 Relic Terminator: Combi-bolter, Power fist
• ×3 Relic Terminator: Combi-bolter, Lightning Claw
• Relic Terminator Sergeant: Lightning Claw, Master-Crafted Weapon, Plasma blaster
• ×2 Relic Terminator w/Heavy Weapon: Lightning Claw, Reaper autocannon and Grenade harness 

Venerable Dreadnought [155pts]:

•Twin lascannon
• Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Attack Bike Squad [120pts]
• Attack Bike: Multi-melta
• Attack Bike: Multi-melta

+ Heavy Support +

Kratos [22 PL, -1CP, 320pts]: 2x Lascannons, 2x Lascannons, Heavy bolter, Kratos Battlecannon

Vindicator Laser Destroyer [175pts]

++ Total: [3CP, 1,995pts] ++

Edited by Captain Idaho