What is the cost of Primaris weapons/wargear/materiel?

Random question, has GW revealed how much Primaris armour/gear (in universe) costs material wise or has it not been mentioned? I'm just wondering as my ideas for my DIY chapters will have Primaris as a minor force within each chapter due to material cost of the primaris gear and them using primaris as an excuse to recruit those who would be ideal for Astartes but potentially fail due to genetic incompatabiliy which can be negated via Primaris gene-stuff.

Cost of equipment is always a complicated question in 40k. In the case of Space Marine Chapters, even more so, because in theory they could request pretty much any gear they want from their own chapter's forges, neighbouring industrial worlds or even forge worlds.

However, the operative word there is "in theory" - in practice, to request gear from sources they don't control, they have to make use of strong diplomatic ties, especially for rare technology that is complicated to manufacture: for instance, most chapter forges can make their own Rhinos, but only Forge Worlds have the capacity to construct Land Raiders (iirc).

In the case of Primaris marines, Cawl pretty much created most of the gear they use, and is meant to have disseminated the knowledge for their creation throughout all chapters... However, that depends on his ability to actually visit each chapter (or to send his subordinates); so perhaps the schematics to construct the gear was lost when the convoy taking the new primaris recruits to your chapter was attacked by the Alpha Legion a jealous Magos (nudge nudge wink wink).

Perhaps your chapter prizes the self-reliance of its members, and so the chapter's forges are of a reduced capacity - and it is taking a long time for the forges to get expanded in order to construct the new tech.

Perhaps your chapter doesn't particularly relish change or trust new technology (innovation? ewwww...) and are waiting for more extensive testing on the battlefield.

Perhaps the chapter simply doesn't see the need for the new technology, "we were getting on perfectly fine before you came along thank you very much."

So I wouldn't frame it necessarily from a "cost" perspective, but there are many reasons for your chapter(s) not to get extensive access to it :)

Archived