Horus Heresy - Slow march to Terra

Obviously with the new HH2 just around the corner I've been itching to get my hands on the models to see what I can come up with but we're a few weeks off right now.

So in the meantime I thought I'd have a crack at making a Praetor for a yet undecided Legion. I am a massive fan of Terran Astartes regardless of their Legion as I think I can relate to them the most being grizzled veterans of the game with endless war stories about how it was in their day.

This guy is a mix of currently available parts, I'm using Fafnir as the base model and re-sculpting some areas to change the detailing and then throwing in some parts from the Blood Angel model that was released at the same time. I think I will need to rebase him as I suspect characters are going to be 40mm bases.

Like I say I want this guy to be a Terran officer so the older armour mark three battle plate is perfect for this and I will be sculpting some Unification War markings to drive this home further.

IMG 20220528 103150

IMG 20220528 103159

IMG 20220528 103214

I have no idea what Legion I am going with at the moment. I am a huge Iron Warriors fan but at the same time would love to do a War of the Howling Gyre veteran Fists army. Definitely want an infantry heavy force but there are so many themes I'd love to explore it's hard to pin anything down right now. An armoured company of Spartans driving up the battle field like beach landing craft would be awesome albeit not the most tactical army to use.

My observations so far based on this model are that the Mk III models I have would need a fair bit of work to scale correctly with the new guys. The thigh and lower leg need to be extended ever so slightly and thickened out but the torsos seem fine so far. It'd mostly be leg work so I may give it a bash at some point as I prefer the older designs.

I also feel that we're going to see much more ornate and embellished designs representing the height of the Imperium as opposed to the general high tech but bare existing armour variants. I can see the Praetor that come in the box being an example of what to expect but can't see Mk III or Mk IV models being redone anytime soon.

I'm also tempering my expectations a bit as I personally feel that beyond the initial release hype and excitement Heresy will hit the back burner as soon as something like 40k tenth edition hits and that it's not going to be as mainstream as a lot of people are hoping.

So my plan is built these for 30k but keep my options  open by making it 40k compatible just in case.  

I will be removing the axe head and creating a paragon blade in it's place but adding the Terran heraldry such as the raptor head on the chest plate. At the moment he's feeling very Imperial Fists but I will see how he develops. 

I'm leaning towards Imperial Fists, Iron Warriors or Space Wolves at the moment.

IMG 20220528 161237

I'd have to look into that. :smile.:

Different model this time but I am again not sure what Legion to do these as, I have around 16 or 17 of them but Imperial pattern armour is now an official experimental armour mark during the Heresy according to the article in white dwarf so a unit might be fun to make. I've straightened him up and made him a little taller to fit in with the newer Mk 6 guys that are coming.

IMG 20220529 161813 (1)

Looking good so far!

My observations so far based on this model are that the Mk III models I have would need a fair bit of work to scale correctly with the new guys. The thigh and lower leg need to be extended ever so slightly and thickened out but the torsos seem fine so far. It'd mostly be leg work so I may give it a bash at some point as I prefer the older designs.

Not that much actually. Mk3 is a little noticeable, mk4 is down to the pose

ebLNoKS.jpg

(Mark III, Fafnir, the new Mark VI, Mark IV)

Edited by Gederas

Thanks mate. :)

From what I was looking at the legs are the main issue with the Mk III was that they'd need a small spacer in the thigh and lower leg but the backs of the legs are noticeably much thinner. I think it'd be down to personal taste really, for my it'd be annoying but for others they could be equally as fine with it as those that don't feel the need to extend the legs. 

I went ahead and made .stl's for new Mk3 bodies wich I unfortunetly can't share since the legs are from a paid file but I can point anyone to them who asks. They are pretty spot on. 

Loving that cape you put on the Fafnir conversion btw.

I can also recommend Mattpanser's legs for this, Doghouse, if you're up for doing that :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've been very busy since the new HH2 came out and have been diligently cutting and chopping Mk 6 marines to my heart's content.  First off though I have been expanding my Imperial Pattern marines. For those that are not in the know Imperial Pattern is also known as the Lost Mark, one of the more prominent forgotten experimental armours of the Great Crusade. In all likelihood I think that this pattern was intended to be the true Mk III armour in the new lore.

There is only one plastic model of this pattern which is what makes this such a challenging little project where I am attempting to make as many poses from it as possible. I'm aiming to make them into veterans for the Horus Heresy armed with Nemesis Boltguns, so vets with sniper rifles. I'm either making them late Crusade as Dusk Raiders or early Heresy as Death Guard, the reason being that I like the idea of a veteran hunter unit stalking across chem choked no man's land.

I will have twenty of these once complete along with a Consol and a Praetor.

image.jpeg.49eff2dac6c43cd214c68f9e160c559e.jpeg

image.jpeg.0c17d3be11df188fe293630f260c019d.jpeg

P1010595.JPG.bfb7323db9288975161d352ff0e5a60b.JPGP1010596.JPG.c3e89d73c3808bc0d5936084329d8355.JPG

As for the Mk 6 guys I am working on making a force of Word Bearers but as you can probably tell I don't like to do things straight from the box so I am converting them as I go. 

The main difference for mine are that I have added a 1mm space between the hips and torso and I am using Mk IV arms with the cuff protectors cut off. While the new guys are really nice I think there are a few flaws that annoy my truescaling senses such as the smaller arms. These conversions are really not needed and just out of my personal preference.

I am also doing a straight out of the box Death Guard force so will post pictures when done with those.

P1010597.JPG.421eeeef979ca005c7177d6cbd3148bd.JPGP1010598.JPG.d7162dcad2f230504722050fa631bc36.JPG

Jaxom: Thanks mate, they are a fun build so far. 

Batu: Thanks mate. 

So I always knew the first MK 6 guys I got were going to be conversion fodder as it's one of the most appealing aspects of the hobby to me. I have some issues with the proportions and other minor nit picks but decided I wanted to go with a Mk 4 armour as a trial.

These were incredibly simple, I cut the Mk 6 torso off just below the belt (technically cable housing...) before putting the two halves together and added the butt plate to the legs. I then just stuck the upper torso onto the leg with the Mk 6 back pack and job done. :tu:

Really easy but impactful conversion I feel. and gives them some bulk. Just need to add some GS knee pads although you could just score the plastic with a knife to be honest.

Chainblades fit the bolters really well and this will be a twenty man tactical squad. They're not perfect but I really like the look.

P1010599.JPG.8bb11d087259f4fa85878cb8c5f094fb.JPGP1010600.JPG.0a854380da207c3f50d22df64fc9d6da.JPGP1010602.JPG.2c41568db272ce98275474945a9adef2.JPG