Ideas and hopes for the new R-U-L-E-S

19 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I hope storm speeders lose their degrading profile, and gain squadronable status in the next codex as well

I honestly wished these and the Gladiator were just single data sheets with a variety of options instead of three separate sheets each with locked wargear :(

3 hours ago, Gr4pist22 said:

Yeah pretty much, but if people like them the way they are now then thats fine too. Them being different does let you tailor more efficiently.

I just don’t see much point in differentiating between a power sword or power axe or power toothpick.

same for force weapons. 
I admittedly didn’t dive too deep when I came back to the game and carried many assumptions, so I ordered some tridents for my army, gave one to my librarian as a force weapon and then realized I had to decide which force weapon profile to make it represent…

I like the late 90s and early 00s focus on customization and uniqueness for modeling and generic ‘power/force weapon’ was perfect for that.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

On 7/3/2022 at 10:58 PM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I hope storm speeders lose their degrading profile, and gain squadronable status in the next codex as well

but then they need another rule which makes them more durable. And in my opinion - this does not fit except they have something like a protecting shield or a rule which dont allow to hit better then 4+ for example.  I think they are fine but need a small point reduction and maybe 1-3 W more.

31 minutes ago, Medjugorje said:

but then they need another rule which makes them more durable. And in my opinion - this does not fit except they have something like a protecting shield or a rule which dont allow to hit better then 4+ for example.  I think they are fine but need a small point reduction and maybe 1-3 W more.

I think removing the degrading profile would be a side buff to survivability, allowing the unit to get into cover away from whoever is shooting it.

I don’t think it needs to be more survivable necessarily though. It’s a fast light gunboat. It doesn’t need to be tanky imho.

1 hour ago, Lemondish said:

What are your thoughts on the Soulshatter variety seen on the Chaos Land Raider? 

I wonder if the loyalist version will just be called a Godhammer Lascannon lol

I really really hope that GW isn't so blind as to leave Loyalist Land Raiders (and Predators) behind. It's not like Loyalist Land Raiders are tearing up the meta, even with theit 20pt reduction!

An increase to d6+2 damage would make a huge difference in how they perform.

4 hours ago, Kallas said:

I really really hope that GW isn't so blind as to leave Loyalist Land Raiders (and Predators) behind. It's not like Loyalist Land Raiders are tearing up the meta, even with theit 20pt reduction!

An increase to d6+2 damage would make a huge difference in how they perform.

I don't expect they'll languish forever, but the precedent isn't perfect considering how long the traitors waited for 2 wound Marines. Of course, they aren't the poster faction so honestly who knows what will happen on timing there.

I do hope that the vehicle buffs we saw in the Chaos Codex don't just carry over to the Loyalist equivalents, but also extend to the Primaris hulls. Even the smaller things like the ATV, Storm Speeders, and Invictor suits could all use a bit of a boost in some way. 

12 hours ago, Lemondish said:

I don't expect they'll languish forever, but the precedent isn't perfect considering how long the traitors waited for 2 wound Marines. Of course, they aren't the poster faction so honestly who knows what will happen on timing there.

I do hope that the vehicle buffs we saw in the Chaos Codex don't just carry over to the Loyalist equivalents, but also extend to the Primaris hulls. Even the smaller things like the ATV, Storm Speeders, and Invictor suits could all use a bit of a boost in some way. 

Cut 25-35 points off of the storm speeder, or 80pt base allow weapons to be mixed and matched pay for weapons that are appropriately costed and I’d be happy.

4 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Cut 25-35 points off of the storm speeder, or 80pt base allow weapons to be mixed and matched pay for weapons that are appropriately costed and I’d be happy.

So would I, for what it's worth. 

I still admit to having one on the pile of shame anyway...

13 hours ago, Lemondish said:

So would I, for what it's worth. 

I still admit to having one on the pile of shame anyway...

me too, but i'm working on repainting my guard before i get around to it, and i might just wait until i know what the  next codex holds for us. i like the hailstrike, but have been planning on building it as at thunderstrike...but if the hailstrike gets awesome in some way might have to go with the one i like better, and find my AT punch some where else.

Yeah, losing jump pack character options would be definitely suck, just as it did for Chaos Marines...

Also there are no 'custom' Legion tactics at all in the new Chaos Space Marine codex, which is very contradictory to how a lot of 9E books have been so far. Are they going to pivot back more towards picking one of an existing list?

Will have to see whether there's an expansion/supplement to Codex: Chaos Space Marines and maybe see the next couple codices (Daemons, Votann) to see how that continues.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

4 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Also there are no 'custom' Legion tactics at all in the new Chaos Space Marine codex, which is very contradictory to how a lot of 9E books have been so far. Are they going to pivot back more towards picking one of an existing list?

Outside Necrons, I wonder how often those options actually got picked. It is pretty rare to find it competitively. I imagine it could be much more popular among the narrative, crusade, and friendly chill match crowds. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they opt to drop them in future releases.

Edited by Lemondish

I think custom army abilities have been very popular for quite a few factions, not just Space Marines.

Almost every Codex has some tactic builder of some kind in it, that Chaos Marines make a warband pick a Legion to emulate and there's no more to it than that is a quite significant departure in design imo.

So if that departure holds, I'd expect some alterations in how the successor chapter mechanics work.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Yeah, CSM 9.0 is an exception to the custom rules theme. Maybe because it was too hard to balance that with the various Dark God marks and whatnot?

Either way, hoping for more Successor Chapter mechanics in the next codex, not less. As it stands, the baseline Space Marines codex is not worth much on its own. Codex Supplements are more or less required for the main book to function properly.