Jump to content

First ad mech army


Recommended Posts

I'm creating my first Ad mech army. I would play Mars.

 

With the Skitarri Rangers, do you keep the galvanic rifle for all the models or change one for arc rifle or plasma caliver?

 

Which units should be avoided due to points or nerfed by rules updates?

 

Is Belisarius Cawl a must have if you play Mars?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, Shiraz said:

I'm creating my first Ad mech army. I would play Mars.

 

With the Skitarri Rangers, do you keep the galvanic rifle for all the models or change one for arc rifle or plasma caliver?

 

Which units should be avoided due to points or nerfed by rules updates?

 

Is Belisarius Cawl a must have if you play Mars?


Welcome child of the Omnissiah!


So. Belisarius isn't a must have to be honest. His abilities are nice (rerolls of 1, you choose at 6'' a unit, reroll the hit roll, choose an unit and select another canticle). In an army of 1000 points...eh, choice is yours. I'd put only him in HQ if you want to play Cawl. Above 1000 it's totally fine and playable.

Otherwise, you have many nice HQ choices. For istance, if you use Skitarii, you can do a simple but effective combo (take Galvanic Rifle). A Skitarii Marshal with Battle Sphere Uplink can make your 20 Skitarii to shoot 40 shots at 30'' at their normal balistic, even if they are Heavy and moved, and also reroll wound rolls. Plus, if you put a Tech Priest Dominus with Artisans Holy Orders, you can reroll hit rolls of 1 and also at the second turn treansform their weapon strength from 4 to 5.

In the end, you have Doctrina Imperatives. If you use the +1 Balistic Skills at the cost of -1 Weapon skills, you'll have this turn 2 (recap):

20 Skitarii, balistic skill 2+, 40 shots at 30'', reroll hit rolls of 1, Strength 5 ap -1, reroll wound rolls, move and fear not to worsen your Heavy Galvanic Rifle Balistic Skill.


Avoid units? I personally don't like the Pteraxii. Too big to my tastes. 

Ironstrider Balistaari got the CORE keyword back - they are strong and cheap, use them.

Edited by Viridovix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/8/2022 at 10:43 AM, Viridovix said:


Avoid units? I personally don't like the Pteraxii. Too big to my tastes. 
 

As much as I like the models, they feel really impractical for the tabletop. The connection from the base to model is miniscule, the wings are huge and love nothing better than grabbing other Pteraxii when you move them (almost as much as genestealers). I have a squad of five and it's really hard to hide them anywhere, a squad of ten would be really awkward. Give them a go if you like the models but if you feel yourself wincing every time you try to move them onto/around the table then perhaps they should stay on the shelf.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Magos Takatus said:

As much as I like the models, they feel really impractical for the tabletop. The connection from the base to model is miniscule, the wings are huge and love nothing better than grabbing other Pteraxii when you move them (almost as much as genestealers). I have a squad of five and it's really hard to hide them anywhere, a squad of ten would be really awkward. Give them a go if you like the models but if you feel yourself wincing every time you try to move them onto/around the table then perhaps they should stay on the shelf.

 

You can say that right. If you want speed...go to Serebrys Raiders! They also got buffed in point cost reduction!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.