Salamanders Covenant of Fire 2500 (HH 2.0)

arnesh88

Following list is a plan for my Salamanders Covenant of Fire 2500 points. I'm a fairly casual player, and lean towards thematic lists. That being said, wanted some feedback to see if there's major glaring weaknesses, because no matter how "fluffy" a list is, being tabled consistently in turn 2 is not fun. I also understand that Salamanders are, in general, considered one of the weaker legions, but they are my dedicated army for almost 20 years. Some of the models on the list are not ideal, but it's me working with what I already have.

Note: Cost of Dedicated Transports and their upgrades are in the unit price

HQ

Legion Praetor (210)

- Master Crafted Thunder Hammer, Dragonscale Storm Shield, Mantle of the Elder Drake, The Weight of Duty warlord trait (still not set on this trait)

Legion Tartaros Consul ( 120)

- Champion, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Combi-bolter

Troops

Tactical Squad x 10 (180)

- Bayonets (all), Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Master Crafted Power Fist, Legion Rhino Dedicated Transport (barebones)

Tactical Squad x 10 (180)

- Bayonets (all), Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Master Crafted Power Fist, Legion Rhino Dedicated Transport (barebones)

Tactical Squad x 10 (185)

- Bayonets (all), Sergeant with Artificer Armour, Master Crafted Power Fist, Legion Rhino Dedicated Transport w/ Heavy Flamer and Dozer Blades

Tactical Support Squad x 10 ( 200)

- Dragon's Breath Flamers, Legion Vexilla, Legion Rhino Dedicated Transport w/ Heavy Flamer and Dozer Blades

Pyroclasts x 9 (545)

- Master Crafted Power Fist, Land Raider Proteus Dedicated Transport

Elites

Apothecary x 2 (90)

Heavy Support

Kratos ( 405)

-  Flare Shield, Lascannons (All slots), Melta-blast gun, spotlight

Legion Sicaran Squadron (385)

-  Barebones

Total: 2500 on the dot

As can see, wanting to go a mechanized route. Willing to let go of some upgrades if other upgrades are more desirable (Mantle of the Elder Drake is probably the first thing I'd let go).

Edited by arnesh88

I'm new to the Salamanders, and a HH novice in general, but I think a 20 man tactical squad without upgrades (beyond the sergeant) is a great, cheap unit for sitting on your home objective, or pushing slowly forward to claim a mid table objective. The Salamanders unique reaction on such a squad will do serious damage to any unit trying to charge them, and you'd already have 3 line units to claim the midfield.

I'd also be tempted to switch out the Sicarans for Contemptors or even Firedrakes (put them in the Proteus and the Pyroclasts in a rhino?) because you don't seem to have any real melee threat.

Like I say, I'm new to this so my advice might be junk, but I'll be starting Salamanders too so will be interested to see where this goes!

3 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

I'm new to the Salamanders, and a HH novice in general, but I think a 20 man tactical squad without upgrades (beyond the sergeant) is a great, cheap unit for sitting on your home objective, or pushing slowly forward to claim a mid table objective. The Salamanders unique reaction on such a squad will do serious damage to any unit trying to charge them, and you'd already have 3 line units to claim the midfield.

I'd also be tempted to switch out the Sicarans for Contemptors or even Firedrakes (put them in the Proteus and the Pyroclasts in a rhino?) because you don't seem to have any real melee threat.

Like I say, I'm new to this so my advice might be junk, but I'll be starting Salamanders too so will be interested to see where this goes!

I would recommend bayonets if you can afford it. +1 Strength is a big deal, and if you use their Advanced Reaction with them makes them that much tougher to shift.

Replacing the Sicarans with Contemptors is something I do go back and forth on. Sicarans are pretty flexible in what targets they can do damage to, but Contemptors are more flexible with melee and seem to be more durable. Thanks for the input :)

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/29/2022 at 8:31 AM, Valkyrion said:

I used to favor Tac Support squads with Volkite Calivers, but at this point, I think Recons with those 72" range Nemesis (sniped) Bolters are pretty appealing objective sitters (since Tac Support aren't Line and can't claim anymore).

• 4 weeks later...

Updated list after some games (original list was too squishy and not punchy enough)

Legion Praetor MC Thunder Hammer, Dragonscale Shield, Promethean Will warlord trait 175
Legion Cataphractii Consule (Champion) MC Paragon Blade, Dragonscale Shield 155
Firedrakes Dragonscale shields, 4 Thunder Hammers, 1 Chainfist, Land Raider Proteus Transport 545
Apothecary (2) Artificer Armour (both) 110
Tactical Support Squad (10) Dragon's Breath Flamers, Legion Vexillor, Rhino w/ Searchlight 195
Pyroclasts (5) Power Fist, Rhino w/ Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades 240
Tactical Squad (10) Bayonets, Power Fist, Artificer Armour, Rhino with Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades 180
Leviathan Dreadnought Siege claw, Siege drill, phosphex discharger 295
Kratos Flare Shield, Lascannons (All), Melta-blast gun, spotlight 405
Legion Sicaran Lascannons 200

Total: 2500

Intentions on this list:

- Make a thematic list that won't get rolled over (will at least put up a fight)

- Make use of what I already have (instead of making too many additional purchases)

- Avoid spamming units as much as I can to keep the army varied (from an aesthetic standpoint)

- Play to their "strength" of trying to hold midfield (or as much of a strength as that can be...)

Edited by arnesh88

On 8/18/2022 at 10:16 PM, arnesh88 said:

Updated list after some games (original list was too squishy and not punchy enough)

Legion Praetor MC Thunder Hammer, Dragonscale Shield, Promethean Will warlord trait 175
Legion Cataphractii Consule (Champion) MC Paragon Blade, Dragonscale Shield 155
Firedrakes Dragonscale shields, 4 Thunder Hammers, 1 Chainfist, Land Raider Proteus Transport 545
Apothecary (2) Artificer Armour (both) 110
Tactical Support Squad (10) Dragon's Breath Flamers, Legion Vexillor, Rhino w/ Searchlight 195
Pyroclasts (5) Power Fist, Rhino w/ Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades 240
Tactical Squad (10) Bayonets, Power Fist, Artificer Armour, Rhino with Dragon's Breath Heavy Flamer, Dozer Blades 180
Leviathan Dreadnought Siege claw, Siege drill, phosphex discharger 295
Kratos Flare Shield, Lascannons (All), Melta-blast gun, spotlight 405
Legion Sicaran Lascannons 200

Total: 2500

Intentions on this list:

- Make a thematic list that won't get rolled over (will at least put up a fight)

- Make use of what I already have (instead of making too many additional purchases)

- Avoid spamming units as much as I can to keep the army varied (from an aesthetic standpoint)

- Play to their "strength" of trying to hold midfield (or as much of a strength as that can be...)

Sorry that the first iteration didn't work out. What sort of armies were you playing against? 

15 hours ago, Bodtfarm said:

Sorry that the first iteration didn't work out. What sort of armies were you playing against? 

Blood Angels and Dark Angels, mostly. Less to do with their rules and more to do with units I was facing against and weapon options