How are people equipping Veteran Tactical units?

Orange Knight

I'm curious about what people are running?

Initially I was thinking about 2 Plasmas and a Plasma Pistol, but then I noticed that their weapons skill is better.

Now I think that some melee weapons are in order, but have noticed that costs could spiral out of control very easily.

All advice is appreciated!

Combi melta or plasma, either a combo or not depending on what targets you want to clap (things inside or outside of cars) with either legion special weapons or the classic spears or axes power weapons.

Stick em in a drop pod, just being 2w and their melee profile means thst even if we make them kinda expensive the enemy needs to use some heavy firepower to remove. With power weapons they tear apart any possible tac chaff balls people throw at them to distract with.

At minimum, I'd pay for the chainswords. 2 pts per model isn't bad. And the squad max is 10, so it won't get out of control.

The rest depends on what you do with the unit. A few pow weapons and a fist isn't bad. I kit mine out to a bit of everything. I play BA so I tend to get close to the enemy. Adding combis keeps them relevant and flexible 

Playing as Iron Warriors so a couple of combi meltas and a good amount of power mauls. I'll use em to bully power armour off objectives and force the enemy to worry about the flanks of their precious vehicles. Trench raidin' armour hatin' goon squads.

On 6/30/2022 at 10:32 AM, Skullheart said:

It's quite expensive points vise but I think a few Nemesis Bolters per unit are worth a try. Since they're relentless they still move, shoot and charge normally.

There's more than a little irony in the fact that the Fists - renowned for eschewing 'underhand' tactics - boast pretty terrifying snipers and a unique character who can double-tap with a Nemesis bolter.

For effectiveness? I suspect Gravs are amazing while relentless. 

As ive been building things more for aesthetics ive gone for a shootier squad with 2 missile launchers and 2 nemesis bolters and a more focused melee squad with 2 meltas and 2 combi meltas. Both have a Fist on the sergeant, 6 cthonian power axes and a couple of chainswords on the wound takers for the hell of it really. 

Both aim to be mechanised, probably land raiders, rhinos if not :P 

My main worry really is terminators rinsing them due to the invulnerable save, but their melee options are so cheap :) 

The two grav weapons in the veteran squad is always a good way to go...I put in two swords and a few combi-weapons but I keep my squad at 7-8 man squads too because the rhino use to hold 10...now its 12...

bAcK iN mY DaY tHe rHiNO hELd a SqUaD

Got a 5 man squad, HB with lightning claw, 2 lightning claws, combi Plas and swords and the Sgt with power fist and pistol. 

I figure the HB and combis can have shrapnel bolts (being iron warriors) to pin units, then charge and shred them. Obviously only PA units nothing heavier. 

May build out the squad to 10 man, but it's a slow grow army against my main opponent

4 hours ago, Altis said:

Now relentless nemesis bolters have been mentioned so do I! 

thats why I take the gravaton guns for the relentless rule and their rule being heavy...

Heavy...thats fine...I have been doing this a few centuries...I know how to move and shoot