A few questions: Legion Support Officer/Support squad, etc.

tinpact

A few questions as listed:

1. So, in 1.0 the Support Officer and Support Squad rules meant you couldn't take certain units in Compulsory slots. As far as I can tell, however, those rules don't exist anymore. Are there other restrictions besides just missing out on Master of the Legion and Line?

2. When an ability says something along the lines of "Unit A may be taken as Troops choices in XYZ" does that mean "Unit A may be taken as Troops choices instead of their usual slot" or "Unit A may be taken as Troops in addition to their usual slot"?

3. Is there a difference between "+1 to Wound" and "requires one lower result To Wound"? The former seems to be more common (I think the latter is just Blood Angels and a maybe a few other units). Versus increasing Strength it makes sense since for high Toughness units you can go up by 1S and still wound on 6s. The best answer I can think of is that you can't add to your roll to succeed a "-" result on the wound table, but one less is 6+, although that seems shaky to me.

Ah, okay. That seems much more convenient.

Now, how about bonuses to wound? I haven't checked it comprehensively, but it seems to me the two bonuses are identical in normal cases.

I read through the rulebook and there's rules for how characteristics may be modified but very little on how attack roll modifiers work (can you modify a roll higher than 6?).

2 hours ago, tinpact said:

Ah, okay. That seems much more convenient.

Now, how about bonuses to wound? I haven't checked it comprehensively, but it seems to me the two bonuses are identical in normal cases.

I read through the rulebook and there's rules for how characteristics may be modified but very little on how attack roll modifiers work (can you modify a roll higher than 6?).

Honestly I'm not sure of any cases where the difference in wording matters. There might be a use case out there where it does but I'm not aware of any. One example I can think of is if a unit has rule that said wound rules can't be modified against them, then maybe the "one lower result" would still work. You can modify dice above a 6 but it's doesn't really do anything since all rules regarding dice results are worded as "4+" or "equal to or greater than".

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:26 AM, ShadowCore67 said:

Honestly I'm not sure of any cases where the difference in wording matters. There might be a use case out there where it does but I'm not aware of any. One example I can think of is if a unit has rule that said wound rules can't be modified against them, then maybe the "one lower result" would still work. You can modify dice above a 6 but it's doesn't really do anything since all rules regarding dice results are worded as "4+" or "equal to or greater than".

I think the difference between "one lower result" and "+1" is that the first one just makes it more likely to occur, while the other one is that plus more likely to trigger special rules. For example, +1 to wound could increase the chance of triggering Breaching, Rending, or Murderous Strike, but "one lower result" would mean you still need the bracketed number as a natural roll to trigger.

1 hour ago, arnesh88 said:

I think the difference between "one lower result" and "+1" is that the first one just makes it more likely to occur, while the other one is that plus more likely to trigger special rules. For example, +1 to wound could increase the chance of triggering Breaching, Rending, or Murderous Strike, but "one lower result" would mean you still need the bracketed number as a natural roll to trigger.

Page 151 disagrees; no easier rends or breaches from +1 to wound.