Saturnine Terminators ?

Saturnine Terminators have been a ‘thing’ in the lore for quite some time. I think some of the really early metal Terminators with the ridiculously humped shoulders are meant to be Saturnine pattern suits. Wouldn’t surprise me in the least if GW reworked/updated them at some point for the Heresy.

Ah, these fellas.

b7l5hdyk6rf41.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

They did indeed have a mini too! Though IIRC they've never officially connected this terminator model to Saturnine pattern, but the name has been around for a long time.

ldsz0nuipk091.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

There are a number of 3rd party alternatives if you like them, like Tortuga Bay, though would be cool to see them back more in the lore, if not plastic!

5iBxt07_hyPvN5kh6A31uKQwnAxTKwqQ34kraGs3

I do like the other little easter egg references in that timeline; RTB01 for the beakies, and now we know where the 'Imperial' marine pattern fits in!

le02-imperial-space-marine-and-30th-anni

Edited by Arkhanist

2 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

Ah, these fellas.

Note that those have never been called "Saturnine" in any official publication IIRC, that's a fan theory mixing the old mini from RT with the name mentioned in FW books. The closest we got to a confirmed name was a twitter thread where Gav Thorpe suggested "Nocturne pattern", but it's also not official.

nocturne pattern.png

46 minutes ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

I would be super surprised if they didn't release more terminator variants eventually.  Liscence to print money.

Yeah Terminators are awesome, rather surprised the haven't upgraded the Indomitus pattern yet

15 hours ago, Gorgoff said:

If anything this timeline means that we won't see saturnine armor in hh at all because according to this they are mid Age of Darkness which is way after HH.

...The Horus Heresy IS the Age of Darkness or is the Rulebook called "Age of Darkness Rulebook" not good enough?

Exactly what would its thing be? Cataphractii is the heavier variant, Tartaros the quicker (relatively speaking) and state of the art, and Indomitus the compromise for production purposes.
Extra heavier? (40k Centurions were based on Saturnine all along!) Not a different niche at all?

42 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

Exactly what would its thing be? Cataphractii is the heavier variant, Tartaros the quicker (relatively speaking) and state of the art, and Indomitus the compromise for production purposes.
Extra heavier? (40k Centurions were based on Saturnine all along!) Not a different niche at all?

Well thats essentially the same question they had with Tartaros and Cataphract suits isnt it? You can be heavier without being Centurions and you could also mount heavier firepower and complete the armour triangle :D Thats just off the top if my head, im sure the professional concept folks can conjure plenty :) 

Heavier firepower would be the logical option going by the art. So same idea as Tyrant Siege Terminators, but guns instead of cyclones. Or Primaris Aggressors, but a] terminators and b] cool. (though I repeat myself)

That timeline in the OP actually puts a dent in the idea that Saturine is the egg-type Terminator armour pictured. We had read that the armour developed from equipment used in high pressure environments (hence the shape) so it wouldn't make sense for that to be the 'final' design.

This was also the miniature release with the domed armour type first of all, followed by the halfway-house ('turtle?') armour (I remember there being artwork for each in the original Space Hulk) then the metal terminator boxset which was released at the tail end of Rogue Trader and effectively became the template design for many years afterwards.

I think the images I have linked below are the order of release, but may have misremembered! May give some hint to what other easter eggs are in store :smile:

url(64).jpg.0b87aba83398d52c9a6fda0437e0acc3.jpg

url(65).jpg

url(66).jpg

Can't forget the other Indomitus sub variant of ages past with the mk5'ish features and arched shoulder pads that Tyberos is based on. The eggman variant would be the easiest to seperate from the rest rules wise though since they mounted things like auto cannons and heavy bolters on thier backs between the giant shoulders.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

I'm firmly of the opinion that whatever Forge World do for Saturnine should they eventually getting round to doing it, it shouldn't reflect the misguided expectations of the community. Tying the egg armour to Saturnine has been one of the sillier assumptions that the community have spawned over the years - right up alongside the whole "Valdor beat Horus in a duel" dialogue that was spawned by an error on Lexicanum.