The Liber Showcase - Plans moving forward?

Codex Grey
Go to solution Solved by Brother Tyler,

This is directed primarily towards mods or admins.

So it seems that several topics in the Liber Showcase forum have lost content, beyond the loss/breaking of certain BBC code functions that we were warned was going to happen before the site upgrade. I waited to see if this would automatically fix itself alongside images and other stuff, or to see if this would be addressed at some point since afaik, this sort of in-post loss of content has only happened in the Liber Showcase (I may be wrong). So forgive me if you were planning to address this (or already have and I'm unaware), and if this is not the right place to ask. But I though I may as well ask some questions here anyways in case others with Showcase topics were wondering about this as well.

Is the lost text in the Liber Showcase topics permanently gone, or is it somehow hidden, waiting to magically reappear? In either case, is there a plan moving forward? Are you waiting for implementation of Pages, which was mentioned as a sort of replacement for the Librarium of old, to recommend people to update their topics for that instead? Or is it up to each of us with topics in the Showcase to fix the broken content?

To be clear, I fully understand if this is just an unfortunate effect of the upgrade, just want to understand and to make sure we don't spend a lot of time updating or fixing things if there are other plans in mind.

Edited by Codex Grey

• Solution

Theoretically, the topics in the Liber Showcase will be fixed as sibomots fixes the BBCode in the legacy posts.

All of the articles in the Liber Showcase have all of their content preserved, however. Each one has the entire article hidden and in code. It might take work to restore the images and formatting, but all of the content remains available.

The Pages function (not online yet) is our likely solution. We haven't played around with it yet, but it is touted as an article curating capability, so where the Liber Showcase was a forum-based stopgap (bastardization) substitute for the old Librarium, Pages looks like a more useful replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

In the meantime, I've had a go at repairing some of the code/formatting in my articles, and thinking about how to use the options that are available.

Fixing pics is relatively easy, but what I've also done is use Skull Headers and Half Skull Headers in pure black #000000 in place of Sidebars and Quotes respectively, then changing the text size and/or switching to italics to make it look 'right' (to me anyway! :tongue:)

Hopefully doesn't look too bad, but I'd be interested in people's thoughts. So far I've fixed the IA: Emperor's Blade and the IT: Iron Gods.

Also, you can copy+paste old formatting and somewhat edit it in the WYSIWYG editor, but with limitations.

For example, if you wanted something without the skull and with another color, you can find a header from an existing IA/Topic/Post, copy paste it, then edit the text inside. Here's a few examples I copy pasted from my IAs.

---

Example 1
In the beginning...

---

Example 2
It was the night before Christmas...
Something something something...

---

The same goes for tables. An annoying limitation here is that you can't adjust the width of each column, as they auto adjust depending on the content. Ands sometimes they don't behave the way you want them to in regards to aligning text and such.

---

Header 1

Header 2

Header 3

1 A X
2 B Y
3 C Z

---

CHAPTER NAME :

SUPER CHAPTER

Founding :

1st

Geneseed :

Legion II

Homeworld :

Terra.

---

However, I did read somewhere (I think it was @sibomots who said it) that even if we can copy paste old stuff that works now, the support for it might go away later, at which point it might break again.

Anyways, @Lysimachus, I think your fixes work well enough. If you prefer the skull headers then that's fine, but I would suggest changing it for a skull-less one for the "sidebars" at least, as I personally think that works better?

And maybe something like this for the top part of the Emperor's Blade? EDIT: Nevermind, it looks terrible on mobile and certain screens.

Edited by Codex Grey

I think I let this fall through the cracks.

I had been testing new editor buttons.  I added buttons to the built-in editor to provide for:

Skull Header
Half Skull Header
This Header (Caslon Font)

But I haven't made the buttons available for general use.

They need "icons".  My icon-art sucks.

These editor buttons replaced the BBCode for skullheader, half-skullheader, and caslon-skullheader, etc..

Adding "buttons" to inject HTML/CSS on selected text is rather easy to do.

@Codex Grey Yeah, probably without skulls would look better... I'll have to look at it again!

@sibomots I think the things I'd be most interested in seeing would be controls to add image right/left, caption boxes and sidebars?

I noticed in my Marines Adamant article some of those things (pics, sidebars, captions, etc) are still working but I don't know how... there are 3 sidebars in the article that haven't come across though, so I don't know why some have worked and some haven't...

(Maybe as its the first article, you've been doing it manually? In which case, thanks very much!!! :biggrin:)

Edit: I've been using the buttons for Headers...? Oh, is it a Mod test thing?

Edited by Lysimachus