Night Lords 67th Company

Ave Dominus Nox :HQ:

I have recently started work on a Night Lords army for the new edition of Horus Heresy. This will be the chronicle of Ravosh Taravakh and his 67th Company of Nostraman killers. 

I am filming the entire process and uploading videos to youtube. I'll edit this original post to add links below as they are finished.

Part One on Youtube

Part Two on Youtube

Part Three on Youtube

Edited by Kabin Miniatures

So the first video is finished and I've built 1 Praetor, 2 squads of 10 Tactical Legionaries and 2 Rhinos. 

Link to the video on youtube

Here's the lore as well as a few picks of what I've built so far, plus a couple of test models and a scale comparison:

Ravosh Taravakh was the Captain of the Night Lords’ 67th Company. Nostraman-born and inducted in the VIII Legion, shortly after Konrad Curze was reunited with the Emperor, Ravosh quickly rose through the ranks. Using the skills he learned as a youth in the Grave Lords street gang, he threatened, manipulated, or simply murdered his way up the Legion command structure. A few decades after his induction, he found himself in command of the 67th Company, a position he jealously held on to during the latter years of the Great Crusade. Like others within the Legion, Ravosh was cursed with psychic visions of the future, courtesy of his gene-sire. Again and again, he would see his own death at the hands of an unknown Primarch, his killer shrouded in darkness. This he kept to himself, spending many a night wondering what he would eventually do to earn such a punishment from one of the Emperor’s sons. Ravosh also saw that he would be the last Nostraman to die in the galaxy, and this was something he was known to brag about. His brothers thus mockingly dubbed him “the Deathless”, due to the preposterous notion that all other Nostramans could be exterminated in his lifetime. When Curze destroyed Nostramo years later, Ravosh is said to have watched from the bridge of his battle barge saying, “Thus, the end begins. One by one, we shall all perish, until I alone stand before my killer, to face the end of Nostramo’s legacy”. After this point, he was “the Deathless” no longer. Instead, he would be known as “the Last Nostraman”.

52209475310_28d7c9cdcc_b.jpg

52209253149_24fce5e1c8_b.jpg

52209475390_71cc84fc1d_b.jpg

52209007108_96f320131d_b.jpg

52209475330_b660c37d57_b.jpg

52207975492_773c47029f_b.jpg

52208978466_b34d54882e_b.jpg

Ooooh, another new NL thread :D Welcome brother!

Solid lil fluff excerpt on your leader, are you planning on having him be the Praetor body at the front? The upscaling on the MKIV is done well, definitely makes them blend in nicely with the new models and gives you that extra variety.

Liking the chipped metallic blue, it's a nice shade and had a good amount of contrast with the metallics and red glow you've got going on the eyes - should make for a great looking squad when they're all done up like that.

I've yet to pick one up, but were there problems with the new plastic rhino? Or did you just want to properly fill in all the gaps so it was pretty much smooth  - just a bit thrown by the amount of white filler.

Looking forward to following along :)

*Edit : Just seen the youtube video re. the rhino, I'll have to keep an eye out when I get round to picking some up*

Edited by Aeternus

The metallic scheme looks really good, and the red helps break up the cold blue and metals. Only suggestion would be to not have the osl spill onto the eyebrows and foreheads of the models and maybe make it brighter on the remaining area a bit to compensate.

Aeturnus - I've built 2 of the Deimos Rhinos and they do need some filling work if you want to remove all the lines and get them completely smooth. Mine had less filler but in similar areas and honestly it's similar to the standard Rhino kit where you will have a few fit issues. Hull sides to top plate, front and rear track guards, top rear hull sides, the strangest one is the new hull front plate which seems to have an odd step where it meets the lower hull, it's a good 1mm even after cleaning and test fitting, I shave most of this with a mould line tool. It's a decent enough kit which has a few areas that require some dry fitting and minor adjustments to get it fitting nicely, from the pictures it looks like Kabin wants it perfect :thumbsup:

Edited by PJ1933

@Aeternus
Thank you so much! The Deimos works pretty much like the "normal" Rhino and most people don't fill the gaps. They just bug me, so I do!

@SkimaskMohawk
Thanks! Yeah, I tried to make the area small when I airbrushed on the red ink, but it wasn't going my way... Either it would spiderweb or it would form little droplets. I have to work on figuring out the psi, distance and amount of paint with the trigger. Or maybe try a Contrast paint instead of the ink?

@PJ1933
Correct you are! I often strive for perfection but never get there... But it keeps pushing me to try and get better! Hmm, maybe I should collect Emperor's Children?

@Raziel-TX
Thank you!

@spafe
Thank you so much, I really appreciate that!

On 7/25/2022 at 7:03 AM, Kabin Miniatures said:

Small update, just to let you guys know work is progressing. Armour is done and silver details are progressing, then it's on to detailing.

52240387450_2cf9bae696_o.jpg

The blue is very crisp! I also like the silver, will there be another YouTube video?

• 2 weeks later...

@Beerhammer Thank you! Yup, another video is in the works but I've been short on hobby time lately... Gonna try to get some work done today, hopefully.

@xxxjtmxxx I'll show it step by step in the next video, but here it is summarized: I paint them silver first with some preshading and then add a semi-transparent dark blue on top, followed by silver sponging for battle damage.

@Chaeron Thank you so much!

• 1 month later...

Well, I've finally painted the first batch of Night Lords for this army and it's all documented in the video below:

Here are some pics as well as the new lore I came up with :thumbsup:

52368319447_bf177324b9_b.jpg

52369572359_37e14cb875_b.jpg

52368319387_117a67a294_b.jpg

52369493068_6e02a42594_b.jpg

52369258751_1a14338913_b.jpg

Praetor Ravosh Taravakh, 
Known as "the Deathless" 
and "the Last Nostraman".
VIII Legion, 67th Captain. 

52369258801_5ac239b7e4_z.jpg

Sergeant Araghaz 
Known as "the Black Butcher". 
Terran-born veteran. 
VIII Legion, 67th Company.

52369679465_492a4880d7_z.jpg

Sergeant Voshtrik Narvirok
Known as "the Brave Prince". 
Former Centurion. 
VIII Legion, 67th Company.

52369493123_bcf1755e4a_z.jpg

The Night Lords 67th Company made a name for themselves in the aftermath of the Thramas Crusade. As the Legion suffered heavy casualties and splintered into separate fleets and warbands, Ravosh Taravakh used this opportunity to fulfil his own desires of carnage and mayhem during the last years of the Heresy. While having been loyal to Sevatar, Ravosh wasn’t known for his love of the Primarch. After the attack at Sheol IX, he is known to have said:

“Losing Curze was the best thing that happened to the Legion. But losing Sevatar was what shattered us. His one fault was his loyalty to our father, and it doomed him. Sevatar was the leader we needed, the one who understood us. Curze would have destroyed us if he would have been allowed to continue his reign. The VIII is a Legion no more, but I don’t mourn it. Let the fools in our ranks destroy themselves serving the Warmaster. I will gather those loyal to the spirit of Nostramo and make sure the galaxy will not forget the Night Lords’ name anytime soon.”

Most of the officers of the 67th Company agreed with Ravosh’s sentiments. Sergeant Araghaz earned the nickname “the Black Butcher” for his work during these years, and even though he was Terran by birth, he decided to desert his original Company in the aftermath of Sheol IX, to follow Ravosh and his vision for the future of the VIII. At the other end of the spectrum, Voshtrik Narvirok was Nostraman down to the core, born of a noble family and serving as a Centurion in the 67th. His star was rising, but then he lost 50 legionaries in a rash move during the Thramas Crusade, when he assaulted a Dark Angels stronghold without proper armour support. Ravosh allowed him to live, but demoted him to a Tactical Sergeant, enjoying seeing the nobleman’s pride shattered. For his recklessness, he was dubbed the “Brave Prince”, a name that could have been borne with pride in other Legions, but in the VIII, was an open sign of mockery.