3000 Alpha Legion Sort Of Mechanised

newmajorpanic

First time trying out the AL... appreciate feedback.

HQ:

• Armillus Dynat 185
  • Exodus 165

Troops:

• 10 x Tacticals with chain bayonets; vexilla; AA&PF + Rhino with combi-melta and searchlights 160
  • 10 x Tacticals with chain bayonets; vexilla; AA&PF + Rhino with combi-melta and searchlights 160
  • 5 x Recons with Nemesis bolters 145
  • 5 x Recons with Nemesis bolters 145

Elites:

• 2 x Apothecaries with power daggers 100
  • 2 x Contemptors: twin autocannon, havoc launcher; twin fists (grav) 410
  • 5 x Lernaeans with power axes; heavy flamer; PF 280

Fast Attack:

• 5 x Headhunters with banestrike; multi-melta + Rhino with multi-melta and searchlights 215

Heavy Support:

• Leviathan; storm cannon; siege claw; phosphex discharger 300
  • Whirlwind Scorpius with searchlight 125
  • 5 x Tyrant Siege Terminators 310

PLAN:

Pretty straightforward, really. Dynat joins one of the tac squads and Exodus can float around or join a squad. Lernaeans, Leviathan and the twin fist contemptor infiltrate using Dynat shenanigans, Lernaeans hold an objective whilst the two dreads wreak havoc. Scorpius, the autocannon contemptor, Tyrants and probably one squad of recons hold backline. Everyone else drives around and does what's needed.

My main concern here is a lack of firepower. Thoughts? One consideration I had was to drop the two apothecaries and take Fulmentarus instead of the Tyrants.

Finally, not sure about the searchlights on all the Rhino chassis vehicles but figure that I've heard enough horror stories about Night Fighting.

Thanks for looking!

Those to 5 man squads of recon marines are easy victory points for you opponent and they won't perform much for their 300p in total. I suggest you remove the recon squads from the list and use the points to boost your siege tyrants to a 8-10 man squad. This way you get increased firepower and another tough nut to crack for your opponent on top of the leviathan and increased target saturation effect. Other than that I think its good.

(If it was 1st ed I'd recommend a master of signal with the siege tyrants).

I have a question; how is a 10 man tac with chain bayos (+2 each), vex (10),  art arm (10) and pfist (15), rhino (35), cmelta (10) and searchlights (5)....that comes out to 185 by my calculation. I don't have my book so I might be off on a couple things, but I'm pretty sure each unit with DT is at least 180. 

36 minutes ago, 9x19 Parabellum said:

I have a question; how is a 10 man tac with chain bayos (+2 each), vex (10),  art arm (10) and pfist (15), rhino (35), cmelta (10) and searchlights (5)....that comes out to 185 by my calculation. I don't have my book so I might be off on a couple things, but I'm pretty sure each unit with DT is at least 180. 

Ah, I may have mucked that up - thanks!

On 7/12/2022 at 6:42 AM, Imren said:

Those to 5 man squads of recon marines are easy victory points for you opponent and they won't perform much for their 300p in total. I suggest you remove the recon squads from the list and use the points to boost your siege tyrants to a 8-10 man squad. This way you get increased firepower and another tough nut to crack for your opponent on top of the leviathan and increased target saturation effect. Other than that I think its good.

(If it was 1st ed I'd recommend a master of signal with the siege tyrants).

Disagree; 72" range really allows you to have them back there and actually claim objectives with Line (which the Lernaens critically don't have; I'm not sure "Terminators don't score [except in PotL]" has really sunk in for everyone, yet) AND still plink Rend chances at things

They're going to need blocker/babysitter units, though.

In the past, Tacticals camping on backfield objectives often had no range until stuff was getting in their face, so some people would run Tac Support with Volkite Calivers (the old Heavy 2 45" range next brother up from Chargers).

Edited by TheNineteenth
error

5 hours ago, TheNineteenth said:

Disagree; 72" range really allows you to have them back there and actually claim objectives with Line (which the Lernaens critically don't have; I'm not sure "Terminators don't score [except in PotL]" has really sunk in for everyone, yet) AND still plink Rend changes at things

They're going to need blocker/babysitter units, though.

In the past, Tacticals camping on backfield objectives often had no range until stuff was getting in their face, so some people would run Tac Support with Volkite Calivers (the old Heavy 2 45" range next brother up from Chargers).

Only point is that Lernaeans do have Line, which I feel like most people are missing at the moment. 

5 hours ago, newmajorpanic said:

Only point is that Lernaeans do have Line, which I feel like most people are missing at the moment. 

I stand corrected; wow, that really makes a big difference. Personally, my dream of giving 10 of them 2 Conversion Beamers and camping at the rear seems to have gotten rather more viable. Pretty damn tough to dislodge.