Horus Heresy Zone Mortalis 750

Brother Dallo

Hi folks,

Currently planning out a slow grow Word Bearers project.

HQ

Tartaros Delegatus (power maul) 100

Cataphractii Command Squad x5 (chainfist, powerfist x2, dual Lightning claws) 240

Elites

Contemptor (Gravis Melta Cannon) 180

Troops

Tactical Squad x10 100

Tactical Squad x10 100

Total: 720

So 30 points spare for upgrades. Potentially Artificer armour on the Tacticals?

No Rite of War, but Delegatus unlocks the Command Squad. WS5 and Line on a Terminator squad seems pretty good for ZM.

I could drop the two Tactical squads for a squad of Terminators and take Pride of the Legion, but I feel ten scoring Terminators and a Contemptor might be pretty oppressive in Zone Mortalis. Could be wrong though.

Theme is the Underground War on Calth, hence the mismatched armour on the Delegatus and other Terminators.

Keen to hear your thoughts, either what you make of the list (and how you’d spend the last few points) or what ZM lists you’re planning and why.

Dallo

So overall you have a decent list but if the doors are locked and the tactical is the only thing you have by that area you aren't getting through

I would add minimum of melta bombs on the tactical squads to get through doors that are locked...

Also mathematically I would drop the retinue for a regular cataphractii squad of five...have the sarge with twin lightning claws gives him what 6 attacks on the charge...but it is 20 points cheaper but you loose the WS5it might kind of be worth it that way.  Which now that I said that out loud there is more close combat that hitting on 3's and them hitting on 5's might make the difference...

Thanks. 

The WS5 is nice, but mainly the Command squad is to have a chunky scoring unit. Regular Cataphractii don’t score outside of Pride of the Legion. In terms of doors, ten Krak grenades should make a decent dent in AV10. You can even punch through enough glances on the charge to do some damage or shoot it apart with bolters.

Very cool list and theme. Seems like the spare points could be spent on close combat buffs for at least one of the tactical squads - and I think under current rules you can do that in a mix-and-match fashion?

In Zone Mortalis they could easily end up in melee.

Maybe the Dreadnought  could have flamer in the fist, or is that just going to burn the poor souls he was about to charge and murder anyway?

10 hours ago, Brother Dallo said:

Thanks. 

The WS5 is nice, but mainly the Command squad is to have a chunky scoring unit. Regular Cataphractii don’t score outside of Pride of the Legion. In terms of doors, ten Krak grenades should make a decent dent in AV10. You can even punch through enough glances on the charge to do some damage or shoot it apart with bolters.

I feel like i am remember wrong and AV12...that might be why I'm thinking melta bombs...

I'm old

and Le Tired...