Plasmancer spam? Yay or nay?

dice4thedicegod

I’m playing around with a mortal wound list including nightbringer, transcendent c’tan and 2 or 3 plasmancers.   

I know plasmancers haven’t been flavor of the month but I’m thinking that at 65 points they aren’t bad for mortals, and I’ll probably be szekharen so they’ll have a wound reroll too on shooting … feel like they have to be worth it at that point, right?

… am I crazy?

I tried this at a 1000pt game at the beginning of 9th. I found them to be lackluster at actually dealing the mortal wounds, typically was one or two on a good turn. They were easily screened to limit available targets. I haven't tried them recently so maybe things have changed I'm not seeing.

They're reasonable for their cheapness, on top of the C'tan causing Mortal Wounds. I just feel like they're not quite useful enough without getting close to the enemy, which is fairly terminal.

I'd be interested to see other's opinions on this as well as other game experiences. 

I feel like they are too vulnerable to getting sniped/smashed off the board- the Living Lightning ability frankly wants you to be within 6" and that isn't good on a T4 1A no invuln character. The Harbringer of Destruction ability is decent, but you're only getting 3 mortals off per turn max, which isn't going to be game changing, especially since it is just closest unit rather than targeted and very easy to screen out. 

Its honestly not a bad unit, but even at 65 points I think I'd rather grab a four base unit of scarabs to move/annoy the crap out of the enemy rather than get a Plasmancer to maybe do some mortals. Something needs to be done to make them either more deadly at range- remove Living Lightning and give 2 mortals for Harbringer, or give them some sort of combat buff to make them more survivable in close combat. 

Is it for Non Competitive gaming?, I think it's a matter of trying them out in many games (one to two, even 4-5 games never reveals true potential...everything inadvertently sux sometimes and can even end up doing nothing an entire game... :confused:

The short range is the Killer and being easily screened... but perhaps there is a trick out there (especially with the new update)....

It's a really cool model and as Grotsmasha has shown, is great conversion fodder as well :thumbsup:

I hope you try it out and discover something.... and let us know too if you do :tongue:

Mithril