Homebrew Warband Fluff

So I wanted to come up with a custom Warband who's schtick was terror tactics and use the Night Lords rules, but I don't want them to just be reskinned Night Lords fluff wise. What are some alternative fluff takes you have on a chaos warband that would use psychological warfare?

First question: Renegades or Splinter warband?

Second question: Terror for fun or effect?

Third question: Out for plunder? Realm building? Vengeance? Daemonic Lore? Immortality?

Fourth question: fleet based? Hulk based? Dependant on transportation by other parties?

Five question: Led by Lord? Sorceror/ MoP? Priest? Warpsmith?

An easy way you can make your warband thematically distinct is by dedicating them to a particular chaos god. Are there any god aligned marks/psychic powers/prayers/stratagems/artifacts that fit in with your vision of your warband? 

I'm going to be running my custom Nurgle-aligned warband with Word Bearers rules and to me it already makes them feel like more than just a reskin.

2 hours ago, Pirate Empress said:

1. Renegades 2. Terrorism for effect not sadistic pleasure 3. They're motivated by the Long War 4. Fleet based 5. Sorcerer in Terminator Armor

The warband could have (using NL rules) an Alpha legion bend, using Terror as a mean to weaken planets in the wake of crusades or larger fleets. The Sorceror (maybe Tzeentch aligned) could use precognition to find spots in the net of fate where "a little push" can turn a loyal planet into a seedbed of panic and sedition. Either that, or they partake in the long war as a long range distraction, inciting panic in systems that are no main targets to trigger an Imperial Guard response, that, once they arrive, notice that there is nothing to fight. Meanwhile the next planet starts sending panicked calls for help.

As they are not Night Lords but using similar tactics, it would be interesting to know what their parent chapter is. Or are they a warband bound by an idea instead of geneseed? I could see a band of former White Scars use hit and runs to sow confusion, while Raven Guard would probably more rely on infiltration. Maybe more interesting would be a warband from different parent chapters. connected via the idea of weakening the empire using knowledge of its procedure.

That leads me to the question: Why are renegades (so relatively new converts to chaos) see the long war as their duty? Do they see the Imperium as corrupt? Is Abbadon the real Emperor in their mind? Did the Sorceror see something that makes them follow that path?

I know, again many questions, but I think the more one asks, the more ideas can grow.

7 hours ago, MasterDeath said:

The warband could have (using NL rules) an Alpha legion bend, using Terror as a mean to weaken planets in the wake of crusades or larger fleets. The Sorceror (maybe Tzeentch aligned) could use precognition to find spots in the net of fate where "a little push" can turn a loyal planet into a seedbed of panic and sedition. Either that, or they partake in the long war as a long range distraction, inciting panic in systems that are no main targets to trigger an Imperial Guard response, that, once they arrive, notice that there is nothing to fight. Meanwhile the next planet starts sending panicked calls for help.

As they are not Night Lords but using similar tactics, it would be interesting to know what their parent chapter is. Or are they a warband bound by an idea instead of geneseed? I could see a band of former White Scars use hit and runs to sow confusion, while Raven Guard would probably more rely on infiltration. Maybe more interesting would be a warband from different parent chapters. connected via the idea of weakening the empire using knowledge of its procedure.

That leads me to the question: Why are renegades (so relatively new converts to chaos) see the long war as their duty? Do they see the Imperium as corrupt? Is Abbadon the real Emperor in their mind? Did the Sorceror see something that makes them follow that path?

I know, again many questions, but I think the more one asks, the more ideas can grow.

In response to your questions, ultimately they're much like The Scourged minus the Tzeentch only worship and the ability to perceive any lie in that they view the Imperium of Man as a completely corrupt institution leading mankind. The use of terrorism as their primary modus operandi is mainly because of their logistical constraints, much like real life terror paramilitary groups, they simply don't have the manpower or resources to take on the Imperium of Man in a straight up confrontation point blank. And because their hated foe is human, they're clever enough to know that the use of fear is very effective against them. They were just members of the Adeptus Astartes who grew tired of the Imperium's corruption and split off as an extremist fringe but, like all renegades sooner or later, they fall to Chaos.

Maybe Nurgle worshippers? The fear of death is also an  of Nurgle and the cyclical rise/decay/fall of institutions and governments mirrors the cycle that many Nurgle sources talk about.

You could also have multiple cults within them arguing about how best to express/use fear.

For example in Age of Sigmar there are an entire sub-cult of Khorne Aspiring Deathbringers who exist just to run down and murder cowards when they reveal themselves on the battlefield and they are devoted to the idea of bringing Khorne's vengeance down upon the cowardly.

Edited by GreaterChickenofTzeentch