Suddenly I Have a Guard Army

Montford

I do a lot of terrain painting for my local FLGS and yesterday the owner offered me a deal on 11 IG vehicles he'd gotten from someone as part of a large model trade. They have a very basic paint job but they are assembled. I'd often contemplated starting IG and took the offer.

I've got:

2 Leman Russ w/ Battle Cannon

1 Leman Russ Exterminator

1 Destroyer (kitbash conversion)

5 Chimera

1 Basilisk (kitbash conversion)

1 Valkyrie

I think the Destroyer is no longer usable in match play? If so I think I can convert it back to the Leman Russ it used to be if I can get a turret.

Also, would it be a good idea just to work on a couple of basic infantry platoons and wait for the new Codex before expanding any further?

Need pics! 

Destoyer? Is that a lascannon variant? Likely a legends piece. There are a couple of 3rd party option to replace the turrets I think? 

I'd wait for the new book. Especially if you're leaning towards Cadian models since that's when the new line should drop. If you want alternate sculpts Anvil Industries and Victoria's Minatures are both excellent options with lots of choices. 

That seems like a nice amount of vehicles to start with.
In terms of infantry, beyond the amazing suggestions provided by duz_ there are also several options in plastic for Imperial Guard, including Wargames Atlantic, in case you want to build an army with a specific inspiration (meaning beyond the things available from GW).

27 minutes ago, DDaley60 said:

If it's a Forgeworld Stygies (Destroyer Tank Hunter) leave it be or sell it, theyre amazing looking kits and no longer made. More of a display case gem unless your opponent allows you to use it. 

IMG_6433.jpg

Dunno why you wouldn't just run it as a Vanquisher. I was planning on converting one of these up myself and doing just that. 

19 hours ago, DDaley60 said:

If it's a Forgeworld Stygies (Destroyer Tank Hunter) leave it be or sell it, theyre amazing looking kits and no longer made. More of a display case gem unless your opponent allows you to use it. 

IMG_6433.jpg

Alas its not the actual Forgeworld kit: its a kitbash made from a Leman Russ with a Battle Cannon glued in where the bow lascannon should be.

My current plan for it is to convert it back to one of the Leman Russ variants. Ant recommendation?

2 hours ago, Montford said:

Alas its not the actual Forgeworld kit: its a kitbash made from a Leman Russ with a Battle Cannon glued in where the bow lascannon should be.

My current plan for it is to convert it back to one of the Leman Russ variants. Ant recommendation?

Id pick up a russ turret and try to magnetize the main gun, if not start a army list and see where a variant can fill a role and build from there.

TL;DR: build a 2k army, focus on an infantry base and optimize your purchases (Start collecting, second hand and easy to build)

When starting an IG army you can never go wrong with infantry.

If you don't mind the new shock troop models hinted/expected, I'd go through the second hand market or the 5 regular dude boxes.

Rule of thumb: you'll be needing 1 Sargent (easy to convert with a head on the easy-to-build models) for every 9 foot soldiers.

Getting a vox caster for every 10 guys is also a good practice.

So you'd end with 8 dudes, 1 sarge and 1 voxcaster

Normal size would be 60 guys: either 6 x 10 squads or use some for a 1 x 20 conscripts

Heavy Weapons teams are usually useful also (have been for many editions) but can get expensive fast.

What I did? built the weapon with no infantry attached to the base: leave the space so you can place 2 models next to the gun when you are playing the option.

Hope it helps

Here is the requested photo of the tanks I got. One Russ has no treads but I think I have a fix for that. You can see the kitbashed Demolisher. Also he converted a Chimera using an old world bombard. Unlesss there is some Forge World tank using a big mortar I am just calling it a Basilisk, and as soon as I find that old busted German 88 model I'll be adapting its gun onto this chassis.

I have also found some infantry models that are literally Imperial Guard :biggrin: 

I will be repainting these tanks eventually when I decide on a paint scheme.

IG 001.jpg

If you do buy infantry the GSC Broodbrothers box is cheaper than getting 1 squad box and 1 heavy weapon team box, just saying.  Oh, and you can also make multiple heavy weapon teams through conversions with one heavy weapon team.  

On 7/19/2022 at 10:42 PM, Montford said:

Here is the requested photo of the tanks I got. One Russ has no treads but I think I have a fix for that. You can see the kitbashed Demolisher. Also he converted a Chimera using an old world bombard. Unlesss there is some Forge World tank using a big mortar I am just calling it a Basilisk, and as soon as I find that old busted German 88 model I'll be adapting its gun onto this chassis.

I have also found some infantry models that are literally Imperial Guard :biggrin: 

I will be repainting these tanks eventually when I decide on a paint scheme.

IG 001.jpg

I'd still run the converted destroyer as a Vanquisher or something. It's a rad conversion. Loved those tanks since that Gaunt's Ghosts book where they describe it sneaking round and sniping enemy armour like an ambush predator. 

7 hours ago, Slave to Darkness said:

Will you be picking up the Grognard command/heavy weapon box as well? The wheeled weapons look good when you swap out the WGA weapons for heavy bolters and autocannons.

I do have a heavy weapons box. :)

I didn't know about a Command Box, I will go looking for it!

13 hours ago, Montford said:

I do have a heavy weapons box. :)

I didn't know about a Command Box, I will go looking for it!

Its the same box, they just throw in some command bits in there so you have duality in the kit. 

Im not sure if they have any Grognard stuff lined up for the future, they have a massive list of future projects up on the site that may be worth checking out, you may see something there you didnt know you needed. 

As for your army, nice collection of tanks. You keeping the scheme or repainting? 

On 7/30/2022 at 9:27 AM, Slave to Darkness said:

As for your army, nice collection of tanks. You keeping the scheme or repainting? 

For now I am leaving it as-is.

Although I am an Ohio State fan I plan to repaint them :)

On 8/1/2022 at 2:33 AM, Montford said:

Although I am an Ohio State fan

Hey theres no need to be so harsh on yourself lol.. Its not your fault... 

I joke, I have no idea about sports or sporting events outside of the UK, and the ones here I dont even care about... So what would the Ohio colours be then?? 

On 8/2/2022 at 8:54 AM, Slave to Darkness said:

Hey there's no need to be so harsh on yourself lol.. Its not your fault... 

I joke, I have no idea about sports or sporting events outside of the UK, and the ones here I dont even care about... So what would the Ohio colours be then?? 

Ohio State University colors are scarlet and grey, basically what those tanks are painted right now.

A friend of mine who is good at finding bits looking around for a Leman Russ turret for me.

• 1 month later...