Plastic Spartan to Typhon Conversion Ideas?

Sup Fraters, 

Ya boi picked up a Spartan for a steal on eBay. Thing is, I don't particularly want a Spartan. I want a Typhon. Anyone got ideas for 3rd party bits or scratch building the Dreadhammer Cannon? While I've got a pretty huge plasma gun bit, I don't think that would be very in keeping with the Iron Warriors theme I'm going for (although the idea of making a Dark Angels Typhon/Cerberus with it is tempting). 

I think I want to keep it as a regular giant cannon as I want to be able to field the piece alongside my 30K/40K Iron Warriors force and still match the recently corrupted aesthetic. Ideally, I'd like to make this modular, so I can swap out the front ramp section with the cannon (and potentially, later, a Cerberus-style laser) as needs must. It's not essential, but if anyone has some good ideas for how to approach such a method I'll absolutely give it a shot. 

Cheers lads. 

Edited by Jings

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2022 at 6:19 PM, Jings said:

Sup Fraters, 

Ya boi picked up a Spartan for a steal on eBay. Thing is, I don't particularly want a Spartan. I want a Typhon. Anyone got ideas for 3rd party bits or scratch building the Dreadhammer Cannon? While I've got a pretty huge plasma gun bit, I don't think that would be very in keeping with the Iron Warriors theme I'm going for (although the idea of making a Dark Angels Typhon/Cerberus with it is tempting). 

I think I want to keep it as a regular giant cannon as I want to be able to field the piece alongside my 30K/40K Iron Warriors force and still match the recently corrupted aesthetic. Ideally, I'd like to make this modular, so I can swap out the front ramp section with the cannon (and potentially, later, a Cerberus-style laser) as needs must. It's not essential, but if anyone has some good ideas for how to approach such a method I'll absolutely give it a shot. 

Cheers lads. 

Unless you have access to a 3D printer, I suggest you experiment with PVC pipe, or similar, as a base for the cannon. Plasticard would likely be suited to rebuilding the front of the tank. 

As for modularity, it'll be easiest if you give up the front ramp opening (I believe the kit does that), and glue it together into a solid structure, then, glue magnets in where the hinges go, and in place of the axles on the door. Corresponding magnet placements could then be determined on your scratchbuilt cannon front. Then later, a similar scratchbuilt front could be made for the Cerberus laser.

• 2 weeks later...

Would a conversion along the lines of the Land Raider Aries work? I mean the gun would be a bit smaller, but I think your opponent would know what you were trying to do.

I think there are some 3d files around for Land Raider Achilles as well - could try to adapt that and replace weapon with single big gun?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it’s possible, the question is, is it worth the effort knowing a plastic typhon is probably around the corner.

I rescued an old Resin Spartan some years ago and converted it to a typhon. I used the plastic storm sword kit for the main gun, which scales a little smaller but still looks right. Used the housing from the sprue to finish up some details and then the siege shield was made from plasticard.

78091D58-212A-47F0-9396-4AB8E26D61D5.thumb.jpeg.65baa48e5a5b456b24b12863a5d671e1.jpeg605E2F31-1FCA-4972-A5C5-2DB46D15E825.thumb.jpeg.d594865bac8b1380943f3727f71408ec.jpegC7EE79F4-B185-40B2-AB32-037BBD0BF23E.thumb.jpeg.ec45e00fe4a78ee4b0c3da5297d7bd57.jpeg

The only other thing you would need are the single lascannon/heavy bolters for the sponsons. 

Here she is in all her painted glory: 

2ABC751B-0868-4FEA-8B4F-39FA138FCCFB.thumb.jpeg.d5083cf908c6947e52a4768eab093af0.jpeg8F0D6698-87ED-4A86-8096-F313A4E28D4F.thumb.jpeg.88f38acd42be2f3bd12b819beea01ba0.jpeg

Cadmus