Competitive Play with the new codex.

Guzzlrr

So Went to an RTT this weekend, and for that I've been on what can only be called a massive testing Streak and I've came to two conclusions;

A: pointless trying to shoot with chaos I've had Everything that shoots being popped unceremoniously so I figure most of your good shooting has literally A single Turn to do it, might be able to squeeze some more out with clever placement and LOS blocking but I feel now that trying to win a range game (with exceptions to IW perhaps) Or even trying to compete is a waste of time and points.

I've had absolutely massive chunks taken for my army having had what remains do Very Significant damage in close combat when it gets there, trick seems to be getting there quickly.

B: Max out Fast Attack, we need bikes and Raptors in warp talons, to put pressure on in the early game, bike mobility is probably going to help score more than its ability to kill. Raptors buffed up and sent on an area denial / trade situation in the early game could be great for securing objectives early on, perhaps pinning the enemy in their deployment zone turn 1 

My new lists now tries focus on getting the basic Secondaries as I believe the Chaos ones are Generally poor, (can be good in some situations but generally poor) Balefire Tomb and DP (instead of Lord Disco) gives me two options for Interrogation. With options for banners, BEL & EAF. I can Deffo hold center for a couple turns with my brick of terminators.

Anything with + movement or Advance and Charge is on to something Fairly Significant I feel.

Abadass needs to be in combat T2 so needs to be deep struck and maybe throw in a retinue for extra EAF or BEL spice (only will he lose Lord of the traitor Legions for the turn) which could be offset slightly with DTFE if you're Fighting Imperium.

I love possessed.  and looking forward to trying the New Mutant Cultist I think they could be good. Brick of Terminators With MOP/Dank Apostle support and Black rune, is probably going to be in all of my lists

What's everyone's thoughts now we've had a couple weeks to mess around. anyone having success with shooting ? 

Edited by Guzzlrr

2 hours ago, ierp said:

Thanks for the insights of your first games. How much terminators do you play when you are taking it as "a brick". Did you feel our troop choices were a tax or did you manage to play some troops in an efficient way (lethality or for scoring)? 

10 man Slaanesh, Black Rune. MOP can Use Pact to heal, Delightful Agonies for FNP (and if you take Libre hereticus) Mutated Invigoration (specifically for +T) Apostle Chants Illusory supplication (transhuman to hit no rerolls) and thats one 10 man T5, 2+ 5inv and a FNP with minus 1 to wound. Very Spicey meatball my plan with said unit is to take the center and hold

4 hours ago, Fuggorf said:

Only Psyker CHARACTERS can do any of the Warpcraft Secondaries, so the Balefire Tome won't help you there

Thanks for that, probably wouldn't have noticed that until my next game! 

Edited by Guzzlrr

Did you kit out your terminators or did you go just do combi bolters and accursed weapons? (Besides the black rune) I mainly play EC and in theory the trait makes fists and other combinations weapons and autocannons look appealing.

I think either going into upgrades for shooting or cc could make them an even bigger threat and force the opponent to pour more shots into them. Just with bolters i feel some opponents might just ignore them.

Edited by Maschinenpriester

52 minutes ago, Maschinenpriester said:

Did you kit out your terminators or did you go just do combi bolters and accursed weapons? (Besides the black rune) I mainly play EC and in theory the trait makes fists and other combinations weapons and autocannons look appealing.

I think either going into upgrades for shooting or cc could make them an even bigger threat and force the opponent to pour more shots into them. Just with bolters i feel some opponents might just ignore them.

So far I've gone with stock bolters and Accursed Weaponry But may try out Fists see if they work out any better in CC but relatively happy with the basic load out, for the cost not 100% sure how i feel putting any more points in with regards to Combis and heavies at least but Fists are only 5 points

Edited by Guzzlrr

Guzzlrr, do you have a link or post somewhere about the list that you took? It would be interesting to see the list and get an understanding of the armies that you fought against.

Edited by MDops

I'm happy to post my list to talk about, specifically my experience at the RTT, but I don't want to Doxx myself by posting direct links If that's something people want to see I'll write try to write a summary report of my Actual experience.

I was Lost 2 won 1, I should have won my first game Mirror Match, but I was Just out played man, used his BL Veil of Darkness to deploy and clear a corner, while out of reach planted 2 bombs cost me the game. Second game was against Eldar, A lot faster and harder hitting (at range) whilst I managed to Deny a lot of interrogate he still beat me by a solid margin in the end, his speed and manoeuvrability Just Cake walking his secondaries while my list was struggling to score anything but primary. Last game was Against Guard Did really well But fought the player into a corner, Didn't score as many points on long war for obvious reasons, poor choice on my part, still won with a solid lead on primary due to having greater board control.

Very short Synopsis Took Chaos Secondaries IN every game and the only one that was Decent was Despoil dominions in the eldar game was able to deploy and move on to objectives Terminator Squad was able to tank for a turn in the middle while doing the action while legionnaire and cultist done it on the flanks and home objective, Eldar Game Highlighted just how usefully Bikes could be, especially being core my main struggle on reflection (and even so before) was lack of Pressure turn 1/2. Tried to compensate with oblits/ havoks/forgefiend/hellbrutes even a land raider (in different list during testing) net result seems to be the same pop out from cover and pop.

Long war seems good but with Nephilim changes may be a trap now that I've had a few games, that seems to be the trend for me

Edited by Guzzlrr

Cheers for that. Sounds like it was highly trial by fire stuff.

Did you consider the humble old Rhino for getting troops up the field or do you feel that Raptors/Bikes have more utility/survival?

Being an Emp children player, been tossing up between Noise Marines just to get the -1/weight of dice on shooting and the Legionnaires for something like a HB/chaincannon combo. For others the Venomcrawler seems like an improved skirmishing unit with the move from HS.

My Initial thoughts for the Codex was a rhino rush, so I absolutely think if I wasn't playing Abaddon or the 10 man I hold the middle terminator squad with support is 800 points. especially with black legion Mass Legionnaires could be a good idea. Rhinos if they survive could generally provide good utility outside of just being a transport. 

a raptor squad is cheaper, and can fly so is able to take the shortest route to also hide behind terrain so if I can't get a first turn charge, my aim would be to get into cover with them for EIF or area denial, it's worth pointing out Raptors Arnt really punchy but can have all the buffs that are normally applied to the terminator squad turn one so if you think you could get a first turn charge it would absolutely pin your opponent in the deployment zone, ready for my Abaddon and friends deepstrike.

I like Venom Crawlers, they could have play cheaper than raptors and about the same cost as bikes, just able to hide the bikes a lot better, plus bikes can do some actions. bikes are low threat and if you counter deploy them could take more effort than your opponent would like to deal with them and if the squad isn't wiped you can heal them with pact of flesh if in range. bikes could kill nothing but do the heavy lifting in scoring

Edited by Guzzlrr
Spelling and grammer