The warp forged kit

Toldavf

So I've just seen the announcement for this kit containing two obliterators and a venom crawler and I have to ask why are these a combined kit?. The only reason I can think of is that they are part of the same molding tool and they don't want large amount of Venomcrawlers laying about in back stock. 

It's absolutely awful that these kits where combined, if you wanna max Oblits in your army for some reason you have 2 Venomcrawlers left over. 

All in all It's another kick in the teeth for chaos players, and I bet it wont even be fairly priced or even slightly discounted. 

I'm kind of annoyed this is the way GW has gone with this particular kit. would been cool it see both in new Separate kits rather than lazily repackaging a couple spews. i didn't like it when they did it to Death Guard and i don't like it here. 

I'm Glad I got all i needed from shadow spear kits back in the day 

Edited by Guzzlrr

2 hours ago, Toldavf said:

So I've just seen the announcement for this kit containing two obliterators and a venom crawler and I have to ask why are these a combined kit?. The only reason I can think of is that they are part of the same molding tool and they don't want large amount of Venomcrawlers laying about in back stock. 

It's absolutely awful that these kits where combined, if you wanna max Oblits in your army for some reason you have 2 Venomcrawlers left over. 

All in all It's another kick in the teeth for chaos players, and I bet it wont even be fairly priced or even slightly discounted. 

It's not just that they were part of the same moulding tool. They're on the same sprue. These models were released as part of Shadowspear, and as GW regularly does in boxes like Shadowspear, the Obliterators and Venomcrawler were combined on one sprue. Same thing happened in Indomitus (BGV+Eradicators+Chaplain+Judiciar+Bladeguard Ancient and Skorpekh Lord+Canoptek Reanimator+Plasmancer) and Dark Imperium (basically everything came on mixed sprues in that one).

Separating them out now would involve having a completely new mould tool made or potentially even completely new sculpts and that would be a lot more costly than just continuing to produce the same sprue using the same tool.

Here's a pic of the sprue: shadowspear-sprue-2.jpg

The Oblit/Venomcrawler sprue is on the right. As you can see, the parts are mixed up, with some parts of the Venomcrawler's legs down at the bottom with the Obliterators, and at least one of the Obliterator's torso fronts and legs up at the top mixed in with the Venomcrawler bits. For GW it made perfect sense to do this for Shadowspear as it's far more space-efficient and cost-efficient to mix multiple kits onto one sprue instead of having two separate sprues with two separate mould tools.

Edited by RWJP

On 7/17/2022 at 8:07 PM, Toldavf said:

I seen multiple venomcrawlers got for £60+ on ebay after codex release, probably same with obbies, so fair price is £100 right? :happy:

Joke aside, I agree it's criminal that there's no separate Obliterator kit, however I'd guess this set will be £40-50. Obbies handily sell at £15 each already.  

On 7/17/2022 at 5:36 PM, RWJP said:

-lots of stuff-

Yeah but they could have, you know, made new models for them? Especially since Obliterators can be in squads of 3. Like realistically you could see 9 Obliterators on the field (albeit rarely) and unless someone goes into heavy conversion, there's only two poses....

Seems Obliterators and Venomcrawlers have joined Suppressors in the ignominy of "would be nice to have more than one unit of, but you're stuck with clones and have to buy a whole kit of other junk if you just want them"

Edited by Gederas

I understand the dislike of this decision on GW's part, but you have to admit that at least it's a rational decision.  They already have these sculpts and these molds that are in the current scale & style, so they don't need to take the time or money to go through the process of making new ones.  Or maybe they are but due to unstated issues (frex, I'm given to understand there's a delay with getting plastic in the UK) they weren't ready for this release cycle and GW recognized the need to provide these models to players *somehow.*  If it's this or nothing, this is better.

Besides, Chaos has always been a kitbasher faction.  Making your own has always been an option; I've seen some fantastic conversions based on Centurions for example.

2 hours ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

I understand the dislike of this decision on GW's part, but you have to admit that at least it's a rational decision.  They already have these sculpts and these molds that are in the current scale & style, so they don't need to take the time or money to go through the process of making new ones.  Or maybe they are but due to unstated issues (frex, I'm given to understand there's a delay with getting plastic in the UK) they weren't ready for this release cycle and GW recognized the need to provide these models to players *somehow.*  If it's this or nothing, this is better.

Besides, Chaos has always been a kitbasher faction.  Making your own has always been an option; I've seen some fantastic conversions based on Centurions for example.

In the interest of this, if you buy a Combat Patrol and a couple of Warpforged boxes, the spare Helbrute heads and arms make VERY nice conversion bits for the Oblits if you have a little practice with a knife. The heads can add a little uniqueness right away with minimal trimming, while it's possible to make cuts and use the Helbrute arms in ways that are so clean you don't need green stuff. You can also slice the gatling barrel off of one of the Oblit sculpts and glue it onto the body of a Heavy Bolter from the Havoc set to make a Reaper Chaincannon. Then you can replace that shoulder weapon on the Oblit with the barrels of any unused weapons from the Havocs, Helbrute, or Legionaries.

As GCT noted, can basically get 4 additional different sculpts if you are willing to saw off the arms and swap them about - I've only done 2 this way, but you can see them here and here.

Plus, you can do barrel swaps and head swaps as GCT mentioned - the ones I linked you to have hellbrute heads and a gun swap with barrel of the infantry autocannon.

That said, it would be nicer if they sold new kits for them, but given the current design philosophy those would also likely require some cutting in order to get variations beyond however many came in the box.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

As GCT noted, can basically get 4 additional different sculpts if you are willing to saw off the arms and swap them about - I've only done 2 this way, but you can see them here and here.

Plus, you can do barrel swaps and head swaps as GCT mentioned - the ones I linked you to have hellbrute heads and a gun swap with barrel of the infantry autocannon.

That said, it would be nicer if they sold new kits for them, but given the current design philosophy those would also likely require some cutting in order to get variations beyond however many came in the box.

Here's one of mine for IW with a Helbrute head and Multi-Melta arm: gallery_93745_14588_35210.jpg

5 hours ago, Gederas said:

$70 USD

A bit rough given the Start Collecting box had this, the 10 man CSM squad, Greater Possessed and the Master of Possession for $95, but pretty much exactly what I expected the price would be given the other kits they did this for.

Price is up in the UK. £42.50 which should mean $70 USD.

Because it's a mixed kit it's difficult to compare the prices, but as a rough comparison the Centurion kit, which includes 3 models of a similar size to the Oblits, is $80

3 hours ago, RWJP said:

Price is up in the UK. £42.50 which should mean $70 USD.

Because it's a mixed kit it's difficult to compare the prices, but as a rough comparison the Centurion kit, which includes 3 models of a similar size to the Oblits, is $80

I'd assume if we got separate boxes, we'd either see 2 Obliterators for 60 (would be bad) or 3 for 80 (which would be better) and there'd be no way the Venomcrawler would be any less than 65 USD, sadly.

On 7/18/2022 at 7:07 AM, Toldavf said:

To be fair, I have got to agree with you here. Through my local retailer they are priced at $137 ($140 on the GW webstore). The old start collecting kit was $169 (about $199 from GW iirc) from the same place. So that's a massive kick in the proverbial sack, because the SC kit gave you a MoP, x2 Greater Possessed and a 10 man squad on top of the oblits and venomcrawler. I hardly see where the fair deal is here that you should rightly expect from reusing an old SC sprue. This is very disappointing. 

I am really hoping that this is an interim kit, while they get a 3man box togehter, like the centurians. If not, I don't know, but I doubt I'll stop being disappointed.

Edited by Grand_Master_Alpharius

On 7/23/2022 at 7:05 PM, Grand_Master_Alpharius said:

To be fair, I have got to agree with you here. Through my local retailer they are priced at $137 ($140 on the GW webstore). The old start collecting kit was $169 (about $199 from GW iirc) from the same place. So that's a massive kick in the proverbial sack, because the SC kit gave you a MoP, x2 Greater Possessed and a 10 man squad on top of the oblits and venomcrawler. I hardly see where the fair deal is here that you should rightly expect from reusing an old SC sprue. This is very disappointing. 

I am really hoping that this is an interim kit, while they get a 3man box togehter, like the centurians. If not, I don't know, but I doubt I'll stop being disappointed.

Single kits and the like don't compete with starter boxes on a price level. People had been demanding discounts on those bundles for years and after they got them it's all of a sudden an issue that they are a better offer than smaller unit level boxes? You can't have it both ways. Compared to similar CSM kits the price for the warpforged is pretty appropriate I think.

Besides the issue with the shared sprues it is a bit dissapointing that the obliterators are not modular at all. I don't mind having to use a hobby knife and saw but they really don't make it easy with those minis.

16 hours ago, Isengrin said:

Single kits and the like don't compete with starter boxes on a price level. People had been demanding discounts on those bundles for years and after they got them it's all of a sudden an issue that they are a better offer than smaller unit level boxes? You can't have it both ways. Compared to similar CSM kits the price for the warpforged is pretty appropriate I think.

Besides the issue with the shared sprues it is a bit dissapointing that the obliterators are not modular at all. I don't mind having to use a hobby knife and saw but they really don't make it easy with those minis.

Nope, I disagree completely. If what we had here was a brand new sprue with these three models to compare to the new kits and multipart, then I would agree with you. However, what we have here is a recycled monopose sprue from an older kit repackaged and then sold at a non comparable price. The two kits are not comparable because the kits to compare them to are new and multipart. 

Yeah, it's definitely not great at all.

It is in line with what I expected though, because they've done this more than once with stuff from Dark Imperium/Indomitus, like the 'Chosen of Mortarion' for Death Guard.

I'd have preferred standalone kits for each, but since I already have the ones from Shadowspear I'll just pass on these. Maybe someday I'll pick up bits secondhand to kit bash up a third obliterator to run a larger unit.

It's definitely better that they release them this way than to just straight up never release them like what happened with the Dark Vengeance Chosen though.

I'm a little chuffed by this, would have been nice to get another different sculpt or two for the Obliterators.

I'll be looking into adding a Helbrute arm to one. Did that for my Defiler as I didn't like either options they had for the Autocannon or scourge, so used a helbrute arm for the cannon and extra tendrils from the mauler fiend.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, Grand_Master_Alpharius said:

Nope, I disagree completely. If what we had here was a brand new sprue with these three models to compare to the new kits and multipart, then I would agree with you. However, what we have here is a recycled monopose sprue from an older kit repackaged and then sold at a non comparable price. The two kits are not comparable because the kits to compare them to are new and multipart. 

What exactly do you expect? If you look at the Primaris line, the Invader ATV is 45€ and Centurions clock in at 65€. The easy-to-build Blight-Hauler on the other side of the spectrum is 21€. That's the price range for comparable kits with and without options and in view of this price structure the price tag for the warpforged is not outlandish. But then again, I can only speak as an European customer and I don't know what's it like in Oceania.

Anyway, since the Venomcrawler appears to be a popular choice in the new codex I'm looking forward to seeing more fun conversions. :happy: I'll definitely get a second one and will at the least change the head to something more mechanical and reposition the legs.