Pride of the Legion restrictions

plasmaspam

Grateful for the forum's guidance and clarification regarding the following Limitation on the Pride of the Legion RoW:

"An army using this RoW may not include more non-Infantry units than it does Infantry units"

My question is - do Dedicated Transports count as non-Infantry units in this context?  Or are they seen as a component option of the parent Infantry unit, not an independent unit?

many thanks. 

RAW mowhawk is correct, it's quite clear. 

RAI though? I mean if you have a dedicated transport for each infantry unit, then you can't take a dreadnought, or anything else non infantry. 

You want a dread in a drop pod, you have to have 2 infantry units on foot. 

To me that doesn't feel what pride of the legion is about, which is an elite, hard hitting force. 

I'd say dedicated transports shouldn't count, and I hope that gets FAQd 

One thing you'll find with PotL is that Characters help - at least as long as they're infantry. Your HQs will tend to put you in "credit" somewhat. Primarchs are not so helpful though! And you can potentially take things like talons of multiple dreadnoughts and squadrons of vehicles so as to (I think) only count as one unit for these purposes.

Unfortunately the restrictions for RoWs can seem quite arbitrary, to me at least. I'm looking at building a Recon Company, which prevents me from deploying anything with the "heavy" unit type. That's an odd selection of things. Cataphractii, Breachers and Leviathans: fine - those are not recon units. Javelins though? They seem like just the sort of thing you'd have in a recon company. But on the other hand you can have a Kratos, a Typhon and so on because no vehicles are "heavy".

Arbitrary and poorly applied restrictions are a staple of 30k lol.

The old recon company barred all terminators from lists completely and made all heavy support units start in reserve. You could still have dedicated Land Raiders or a Typhon just...because. 

So the javelins having to go in reserve is a little frustrating, but at least they can outflank. Certain legions can toss terminators into deepstrike or outflank as well. Not every legion synergizes well with every rite; some really get hampered by the restrictions, while others basically don't care.

Bringing this back to pride, the list archetype is meant to be infantry focussed. Frankly if you're trying to participate in scoring, you shouldn't be worried about the infantry restriction; compulsory units is 3 infantry, plus 2/3 recons putting you at 5. You can get a leviathan in a pod, a unit of javelins, a dedicated Spartan and a contemptor or something. An extra character and a couple of rapiers gives you 3 more infantry units (if you msu the rapiers). You basically have to do vets+rhinos to lock yourself out of non-infantry choices. 

21 hours ago, Mandragola said:

One thing you'll find with PotL is that Characters help - at least as long as they're infantry. Your HQs will tend to put you in "credit" somewhat. Primarchs are not so helpful though! And you can potentially take things like talons of multiple dreadnoughts and squadrons of vehicles so as to (I think) only count as one unit for these purposes.

Unfortunately the restrictions for RoWs can seem quite arbitrary, to me at least. I'm looking at building a Recon Company, which prevents me from deploying anything with the "heavy" unit type. That's an odd selection of things. Cataphractii, Breachers and Leviathans: fine - those are not recon units. Javelins though? They seem like just the sort of thing you'd have in a recon company. But on the other hand you can have a Kratos, a Typhon and so on because no vehicles are "heavy".

thank you for this very helpful response.  

my motivation for this PotL list for my DA is simply trying to cram as many DA specific models into an elite list for the aesthetic - the Cataphractii Praetor, Inner Circle cenobtyes, and then the Contemptor and Leviathan - alongside a command squad of Cataphractii with Deathwing Knight robed torsos, and two or three full Cataphractii squads, with every unit having a dedicated transport (Spartans, Proteus Carriers, and Pods for the Dreads).

Admittedly I was simply hoping that DT's would not count towards the unit count, that i'd maybe missed an Errata or FAQ clarification that someone could point me at.

Your point about the IC's counting as separate is something that didn't occur to me however - excellent point.  This would mean that having the Praetor plus a Consul would permit me to at least have one of the Dreads + Pod.