Apothecaries, Retinues and TDA IC's

TheTrans

It might be intentional in the case of a Retinue. 

It's a unit of 2 wound models in artificer armor with WS5 that has Line as long as the standard bearer is alive. It might be a case of if you want to give this unit a FNP it will cost you more than 45 points. Which honestly I wouldn't be upset by. That would be a fair ruling. 

Edited by Claws and Effect

8 hours ago, Claws and Effect said:

It might be intentional in the case of a Retinue. 

It's a unit of 2 wound models in artificer armor with WS5 that has Line as long as the standard bearer is alive. It might be a case of if you want to give this unit a FNP it will cost you more than 45 points. Which honestly I wouldn't be upset by. That would be a fair ruling. 

While I think that it's probably a mistake / unforeseen consequence of the way they have worded the apothecary rules, your theory is far from impossible too. 

To be honest there is a reasonable fluff justification, too. The way to look at it would not be that command squads can't have Apothecaries, but rather that they are important enough that if they get an apothecary assigned to them they get a senior officer ( the Primus Medicae), rather than a junior apothecary.

On 7/18/2022 at 12:07 PM, Slips said:

For the edit bit: then you have to wonder: why did they use such specific wording to say the apothecary is explicitly joined to, and part of, the squad before deployment instead of just saying "Apothecaries purchased for an army must be deployed with a unit and cannot voluntarily leave it during play" in the exact same way the Retinue rule works and prevents the IC from leaving the unit.

Why miss an opportunity to be sloppy and inconsistent? lol