Stormlord…mechanized or armored?

It would depend on the regiment I suppose. If I'm remembering all this right - In the Stormlord book, there was a company of 4 Stormlords in a super-heavy regiment that carried parts of a regular infantry regiment, so they weren't really a mechanized company with a dedicated infantry component so much as a siege/assault transport company that carried whatever infantry units they were ordered to. They were overall part to a specific super-heavy regiment that had a mix of Bane-blade variants, operating in companies of 4 super-heavy tanks each. 

Given their transport capacity and their weaponry, I'd put them in a mechanized unit rather than armored- they would be the "heavy" portion of the unit, transporting veteran assault units and company command squads while the regular troops ride in Chimeras/Taurox. 

I personally think that the IG would field them more often in armoured regiments, simply due to slightly quicker deployment times, but also to provide anti-infantry cover to other superheavies. They could well be deployed in a dedicated 'Super Heavy Mechanized Infantry' regiment, so don't let me stop you, but I would go armoured, with Infantry attached from another regiment.

8 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

It would depend on the regiment I suppose. If I'm remembering all this right - In the Stormlord book, there was a company of 4 Stormlords in a super-heavy regiment that carried parts of a regular infantry regiment, so they weren't really a mechanized company with a dedicated infantry component so much as a siege/assault transport company that carried whatever infantry units they were ordered to. They were overall part to a specific super-heavy regiment that had a mix of Bane-blade variants, operating in companies of 4 super-heavy tanks each. 

Given their transport capacity and their weaponry, I'd put them in a mechanized unit rather than armored- they would be the "heavy" portion of the unit, transporting veteran assault units and company command squads while the regular troops ride in Chimeras/Taurox. 

Ooh I don’t like the idea of dedicated super heavy regiments at all.

I feel like super heavies should be attached to armored regiments or in this case mechanized regiments in their own companies….but full regiments of them doesn’t sit right with me.

Super-heavy tanks were designed as Titan killers originally and worked as SH Regiments, the Stormlord being developed for "pest control" I.e. taking out any infantry that were supporting the Titans.

I checked the Lexicanun, and it seems most references to Super-Heavy formations are in company sizes, but regiments do exist. Honestly I think  you can justify Stormlords being in their own independent companies, or integral to an armored or mech regiment. An entire super-heavy regiment, whilst possible, is just a bit over the top for my taste.

I think they fit armor d regiments better just because I always thought the infantry capacity was a secondary feature, not their main role

Edited by sitnam

6 minutes ago, sitnam said:

I checked the Lexicanun, and it seems most references to Super-Heavy formations are in company sizes, but regiments do exist. Honestly I think  you can justify Stormlords being in their own independent companies, or integral to an armored or mech regiment. An entire super-heavy regiment, whilst possible, is just a bit over the top for my taste.

I think they fit armor d regiments better just because I always thought the infantry capacity was a secondary feature, not their main role

Yeah full regiments of baneblade variants just doesn’t seem to reflect the rarity they supposedly hold in the guard…at least not with a full regiment operating together on the same world.

a full regiment, that operates as companies where their extra oomph is needed, or in very rare instances of desperation over a vital world then much of the regiment operates together, but a full regiment of dozens of SHs regularly operating in the same theater of war doesn’t feel right to me either.

3 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Yeah full regiments of baneblade variants just doesn’t seem to reflect the rarity they supposedly hold in the guard…at least not with a full regiment operating together on the same world.

a full regiment, that operates as companies where their extra oomph is needed, or in very rare instances of desperation over a vital world then much of the regiment operates together, but a full regiment of dozens of SHs regularly operating in the same theater of war doesn’t feel right to me either.

I believe it was from a highly civilized world where the armored regiments were considered elite and the super-heavy regiments were extremely prized. It was a world with a large industrial base that churned out lots of Leman Russes for the armored regiments.

I think the whole regiment consisted of 12 super-heavies total, divided into three companies. 1 of Stormlords and the other two were mainly Baneblades, though there was one really old and rare Shadowsword.

Edited by Lord_Ikka