The Emperors Champion should have 6 Attacks Base

No matter having 5 or 6, or even 7 attacks, he won't see serious tournament play. 

In 9th marine characters need to provide unique utility to be useful. If an unit is designed as "just a choppy guy", it need to be very near-broken choppy to be effective(e.g. Drazhar). EC's datasheet is already good at 100pts cost, but for most players the question is "whether you want to spend 100pts for another choppy guy".

his output and even his 5 wounds on 2+ save with AoC with 4++ is very good. he should be good against characters - not everything. Maybe against characters it would be nice to have a rule which does not allow rerolls or just hits on 4+ for example but thats nothing he really need.

His greatest problem is to get him on to characters. For this he lack of good stratagems or additional rules.

He would be worth the 100 points if he had inbuild 6" devout push (towards characters instead markers) + advance and charge. With 6" and being a character without fly your opponent exactly knows what he will do in the game. Thats fluffy but in the game it makes him extremly bad. 50 points would be fair

Edited by Canadian_F_H
Suspected provocation of other Frater

He will never be 50 points - that’s asking too much. This past weekend mine took out an Imperial Knight (Paladin). With the smaller dimensions for the playing area it’s not difficult for him to get stuck in without exposing himself.

10 hours ago, Black Blow Fly said:

He’s main purpose is to slay enemy characters, not mulch chaff… so it makes sense to me.

well i mean he shouldve just gotten the extra attack in his primaris upgrade but he didnt, but the primaris chapter champion gets it so its just kind of annoying that the consistency isnt there.

45 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

If they moved some characters like techmarines and the EC to the elite slot or no slot, that would help alleviate current issues slightly:yes:

Exactly. I don't say he is "bad" or "not great" at his points cost, but he need to compete with "greater" and "greatest" options at that 2-3 HQ slots.

Edited by Tokugawa

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that.  He probably should have that extra attack since he is our chapter specific equivalent to the chapter champion.

His 2 attack modes should exist, tho perhaps they need adjusting.  He has had 2 modes like that since his original incarnation in the 3rd edition Codex Space Marines so I don't want that aspect to go away.

On 7/21/2022 at 12:42 PM, Canadian_F_H said:

Yeah, I hadn't noticed that.  He probably should have that extra attack since he is our chapter specific equivalent to the chapter champion.

His 2 attack modes should exist, tho perhaps they need adjusting.  He has had 2 modes like that since his original incarnation in the 3rd edition Codex Space Marines so I don't want that aspect to go away.

His last one didnt, he actually had the extra attack and str vs characters but they nerfed him in the update.

10 hours ago, The Emperors Champion22 said:

His last one didnt, he actually had the extra attack and str vs characters but they nerfed him in the update.

Is that how it was?  Hmmm.  It's been a rough couple years for my relationship with the game.  I forgot they had him with only 1 attack profile for a while.  Oops.

So I'll revise my statement accordingly:  2 attack modes was his thing from 3rd thru now with 1(?) Exception then.  I feel like the EC always should be like that, tho that's not such a unique thing lately, a lot more characters have multiple options for their melee attacks these days (at least it seams that way). 

I still agree with the OP that it's definitely odd that he has less attacks than a chapter champion, but I suppose it is acceptable if he is outright better than the CC which I believe is the case.  The idea of moving him to elites would be fine by me since the most common detachment has more Elites than any other slots besides Troops.  Tho I would like to see that mitigated by the primaris elite characters being able to be taken slotless with a primaris command squad (which should also exist) like the non-primaris versions.  But that's a whole other discussion.