BS6+ and modifiers

Valkyrion

If you have BS6 or higher and roll a 1 then you get to reroll your shot and on a 6/5/4/3/2 that shot hits.

Do you apply hit modifiers to the pseudo reroll? So BS6 with a -1 to hit modifier is hitting on 3's and if it misses on a 2 then it just misses. But if it misses on a 1 then does the -1 to hit carry over so that the BS6 guy can't get a 7 on a D6?

What you need to hit doesn't change, the reroll ones means just that, you get to roll the 1s and see what you get the second time. 

So for example you have a bs4 fella needing 3+ to hit normally, but is suffering a -1 so needs 4+ to hit. He rolls a 1. Fantastic you can reroll that, you still need a 4+ for it to be successful. 

Same with plusses to the to hit roll, what you need to hit is exactly the same 2nd time around 

5 hours ago, Altis said:

What you need to hit doesn't change, the reroll ones means just that, you get to roll the 1s and see what you get the second time. 

So for example you have a bs4 fella needing 3+ to hit normally, but is suffering a -1 so needs 4+ to hit. He rolls a 1. Fantastic you can reroll that, you still need a 4+ for it to be successful. 

Same with plusses to the to hit roll, what you need to hit is exactly the same 2nd time around 

The question is about BS6 and higher, so your BS4 example, although correct, isn't relevant.

For what it's worth I don't think any modifiers apply to the situation in question. Which means a +1 to hit modifier is worthless for BS5 and higher but them's the breaks.

46 minutes ago, Cactus said:

The question is about BS6 and higher, so your BS4 example, although correct, isn't relevant.

For what it's worth I don't think any modifiers apply to the situation in question. Which means a +1 to hit modifier is worthless for BS5 and higher but them's the breaks.

It was an example to show how modifiers affect rerolls, that was all. 

Having re-read the rule and slept on it I've reversed my position. With BS6+ and missing on the first attempt you get a re-roll (the rules call it a re-roll) but with a different target number. As the re-roll is still a to-hit roll I see no reason not to apply any to hit modifiers that are in effect.

I don't have either of the army lists yet but it does seem to put BS5 Imperial Fists in the interesting position of getting no benefit from their +1 to hit with bolt and auto weapons.

BS4 with +1 will hit on a 2+

BS5 with +1 will hit on a 2+ because a natural 1 always fails.

BS6 with +1 will hit on a 2+ and can re-roll misses with the re-roll hitting on 5+ instead of the usual 6+

Am I right? I've no skin in this game, I just enjoy parsing rules and working out the kinks.

24 minutes ago, Cactus said:

Having re-read the rule and slept on it I've reversed my position. With BS6+ and missing on the first attempt you get a re-roll (the rules call it a re-roll) but with a different target number. As the re-roll is still a to-hit roll I see no reason not to apply any to hit modifiers that are in effect.

I don't have either of the army lists yet but it does seem to put BS5 Imperial Fists in the interesting position of getting no benefit from their +1 to hit with bolt and auto weapons.

BS4 with +1 will hit on a 2+

BS5 with +1 will hit on a 2+ because a natural 1 always fails.

BS6 with +1 will hit on a 2+ and can re-roll misses with the re-roll hitting on 5+ instead of the usual 6+

Am I right? I've no skin in this game, I just enjoy parsing rules and working out the kinks.

I think you are right. Obviously BS5 could still benefit were they to suffer a reduction to their BS through debuffs, but generally BS5 loses out. 

I also can't see why BS6+ wouldn't benefit from the +1 to hit on their second roll to hit.