Can you kill more than your opponent in a challenge?

Valkyrion

p199 - Fighting a challenge

for the duration of the challenge....when allocating wounds caused by either of these two models, they must be allocated to their opponent first.

'First' implies to me that you can allocate wounds to models you aren't challenging? I know normally speaking the owning player allocates wounds, so it would be foolish to allocate wounds elsewhere in the unit in general terms, but if the attacking player has Precision Strikes then they get to allocate where the wounds go after the first has been allocated to the challenger.

I think I'm right, because otherwise you'd get a sergeant challenging a primarch to save the rest of his squad? Or maybe I'm not right, and that's how heroes are born!

@Valkyrion"First" would imply that before they can be allocated anywhere else, the wounds (plural) have to go on the opponent. "Combatant Slain", the very next set of rules, expands on what happens to the wound pool after the opponent is dead.

Challenges can be used to absorb a characters' output, just like in 6th. But it also still generates combat res and you lose the seargents higher leadership. 

Okay, thanks.

Related question then with regards the Combatant Slain and Outside Forces bit - my I6 challenger kills his I5 opponent, then the rest of my opponents I5 models kill all of my I4 models, leaving only an I1 enemy model left. That I1 model then attacks my challenger, because whilst the challenge is ongoing, other models locked in combat can only Allocate Wounds to the models involved in the challenge if all other enemy models (if any) that are locked in that combat have been removed as casualties. 

Right?

1 hour ago, Valkyrion said:

p199 - Fighting a challenge

for the duration of the challenge....when allocating wounds caused by either of these two models, they must be allocated to their opponent first.

Remember that when allocating wounds, all the attacks of a specific weapon type go into a specific pool, and then the pool is allocated to a specific model. I think the 'first' line is there to show that an opponent cannot allocate a wound pool to a random model.