Recons marines or Seekers?

Noserenda

So ive ended up with an extra 10 marine bodies and im wanting to model a shooty squad(s) either Seekers (In a Rhino or Land Raider) or Recon marines with Nemesis bolters. Tactics wise what would you pick? And any tips on loadouts for either squad. 

Context wise its Sons of Horus and the rest of the army is a couple of squads of mechanised veterans for melee and lots of Predators, im not too bothered about scoring units but recognise its an advantage obviously ;) 

19 hours ago, Noserenda said:

So ive ended up with an extra 10 marine bodies and im wanting to model a shooty squad(s) either Seekers (In a Rhino or Land Raider) or Recon marines with Nemesis bolters. Tactics wise what would you pick? 

I'd build 5 seekers and 5 recons with nemesis boltguns.

On 7/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, Noserenda said:

So ive ended up with an extra 10 marine bodies and im wanting to model a shooty squad(s) either Seekers (In a Rhino or Land Raider) or Recon marines with Nemesis bolters. Tactics wise what would you pick? And any tips on loadouts for either squad. 

Context wise its Sons of Horus and the rest of the army is a couple of squads of mechanised veterans for melee and lots of Predators, im not too bothered about scoring units but recognise its an advantage obviously ;) 

Why not both...

13 hours ago, Altis said:

I built 5 recons with nemesis bolters. I wanted to build 5 more with shotguns but I couldn't see a use for them, shotgun rules seem uninspiring. 

However running them as seekers would given them relentless so can move and fire, but lose line

IMG_20220627_004707.jpg

Really shot guns are part of my strategy as a WE. Dropping the WS of an opponent increases your survivability significantl.... 

But to the main topic. I think it depends really on what you're trying to achieve. I'm personally going with rotor cannon four pinning, and using seekers as character removal  to guarantee I get that juicy extra attack on my despoilers. 

I wouldn't waist points putting nemesis on seekers. With precision shots and breaching 4 native while allowing movement. Just doesnt seen worth it.

Personally it's a "why not both?" situation. I'm looking at taking a unit of 10 seekers with Kaedes Nex (who brings shroud bombs, which they otherwise lack) plus two squads of recon marines, one with shotguns and the other with snipers.

These units all seem like good value to me. The shotgun squad is cheap enough that I can just hide them till late game as a scoring unit, but concussive could still be seriously useful. Snipers are a threat to most things and seekers are a threat to any infantry.

I'm likely to take my seekers with their standard bolters and shoot things from range but the alternative is to use them as a one-shot combi-weapon squad. They're cheaper than an equivalent tactical support squad with meltas but are BS5 and infiltrate, meaning they're good for getting in range of spartans and stuff early on. Having only one shot isn't such an issue in a situation where, realistically, you'd be lucky to live long enough to fire again. If that's a tool your army needs then go for it.