The Great Prediction: <Imperium> vs <Xenos> vs <Unaligned>

This isn't a thread about debating where the sub-forum has been placed, it's just a fun prediction/theorising/guessing game about where the League, when they launch, will end up in terms of their game mechanic relation to the other factions.

In the lore we know that the Leagues are (uneasily) allied to the Imperium but are not part of it. This puts them in a unique position as far as factions go and also leaves a big question open about where in the post-8th 'faction triumvirate' they will end up.

My prediction is they'll still be <Imperium>. The Squats Kin are ultimately 'Human' and not an alien race (although GSC made that a bit flimsier), the Mechanicus is similarly allied to the Imperium rather than part of it (although it's fair to say they're far more tied at the hip than the League appear to be) and, most importantly, GW get to sell the fancy new faction to Marine/Imperial players as allies. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised if one of the sub-factions allows you to trade out the <Imperium> keyword for <T'au> ALA Brood Brothers either to represent their mercenary work and/or be a winkwink towards the Demiurg.

What about you lot?

Edited by Lord Marshal

I could see

Leagues being (imperium)

And if demiurg are votann

Demiurg being a break away faction in the book with (xenos, Tau).

I hope we don't get a if this, then that requirement.

Like if you want votann to be imperium aligned, no iron kin may be taken. I really hope that doesn't happen

10 hours ago, Triszin said:

I hope we don't get a if this, then that requirement.

Like if you want votann to be imperium aligned, no iron kin may be taken. I really hope that doesn't happen

We already have an example of Men of Iron pretending to be non AI robots to avoid too much Imperial attention, it'll be fine...

image.jpeg.808ec46ada04b78cd596e46ef5fe536b.jpeg

I think That if GW thinks with their "Wallet" then the Leagues will be Allies of the Imperium :tongue: .... or they could be Xeno but align themselves with whomever they want ... i.e. whoever pays the most :laugh: .

Will be interesting to see where GW takes this faction...

Mithril

15 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

And it seems all it takes is the equivalent of wearing a fake mustache to fool them, stick an Aquila on somewhere.

Now I want to see an Ironkin with fake glasses, fake mustache, and a big fake nose.

I think they'll be classed as Xenos. While they are allies of the Imperium...that specifically infers that they are not Imperium. Eldar, Necrons and Tau have also all allied with the Imperium on a temporary basis, I'd assume the relation with the LoV is just longer standing. 

However, the monodominant, gene pure side of the Imperium shuns abhumans and would want them destroyed, so if the Imperium ever did win over all it's enemies, the LoV would be destroyed next. 

I would like to see them classified as a faction of their own instead of under xenos or Imperium.   Separatist or Un-Aligned works best.  If anything I would like to see them being able to "soup" with Tau / Aeldari / Imperium.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be interesting if there was friction within LoV in terms of those who are biased towards a preexisting faction or mode vs. other elements in the League that are rebellious to "never again" in terms with the Imperium/etc.

I would prefer the League itself was split into some within the League less enamored with the status quo and some within the League that are loyal .. to what?  Who knows.

We could see three sub-factions of Votann; those that trade with/ally with the Imperium (albeit reluctantly and with great hiding of Votann secrets), those that trade with/ally with Xenos (Demiurg), and those that are unaligned. Use something similar to the Harlequins Traveling Players rule to soup with whatever faction they want but only using a Patrol Detachment, or just be their own army otherwise.

So, the new Loremasters video says that from the Imperium's POV the Kin straddle a line between Abhuman and Xenos. They've also fought off Imperial Crusades before. Now I'm starting to err more towards <Xenos> a bit.

Edited by Lord Marshal

On 8/25/2022 at 10:38 AM, Lord Marshal said:

So, the new Loremasters video says that from the Imperium's POV the Kin straddle a line between Abhuman and Xenos. They've also fought off Imperial Crusades before. Now I'm starting to err more towards <Xenos> a bit.

I love the idea of some delusional Imperial crusade slamming into the Core systems to purge the Xenos and get caught in the grudge meat grinder. Slowly losing ships, men, supplies until they have no choice but to retreat or die.

Basically "Stay out longshanks, we don't need you, you're not welcome here!"

Let's not forget if the LoV have similar or better tech than the current Imperium, and are based in insanely resource rich highly dense systems they can crank out armies as needed. This would include cruisers, and easily exterminatus class weapons.

The Imperium is not going to just go in and roll over the League.

I've not seen the video, but I'm really looking forward to the new art. To get a sense of the scale at which the LoV build and operate.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SpaceDwalin said:

Well, we'll find out for sure this coming Saturday what category GW are putting them in when they go on pre-order and appear in the webstore.

We already know, thanks to the entire codex leaking online.

Votann have the "Votann" keyword. They are neither "Imperium" nor "Unaligned."

On 7/24/2022 at 6:16 PM, TheVoidDragon said:

It has been many, many year since I played tabletop (4th editon), can someone explain how exactly this affects them?

I would like to know the answer to this also. I take it is it just relating to what armies jyou can ally with on the tabletop?

3 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

I would like to know the answer to this also. I take it is it just relating to what armies jyou can ally with on the tabletop?

I have no idea really on the rules side. The last time I actually played 40k there were Squats in it!

For me my curiosity is about the lore, back in the late 1980s Squats were part of the Imperium and considered (a type of) human. I'm waiting to find out more about there current/new/retconned relationship with the Imps.