Eldar a few months on

Xenith

So we had the first impressions thread, how are you faring a few months, and an FAQ later?

We know harlies have been heavily nerfed, propbably overnerfed, but pretty much every model in the book has seen a 1-10 point increase, which I feel unjustified.

I 2 games recently, a win and a draw against deathwing and then fists - deathwing I could outmaneuver and isolate, killing a unit at a time asily with guide, doom, bladestorm, but the fists was a hard fought draw - even their bolters ignore cover and ignore a chunk of our armour. This felt like a really close, balanced game, but considering marines are in a weaker spot right now, has the Craftworlds codex been neutered?

How are your games going?

Haven’t played much but I haven’t lost any of the whole 5 games I’ve played with harlequins. I hope to play somebody new this weekend so that will probably change. 

I don’t have as high hopes for my craft world as the troops still look ineffective. 

Agreed, Nephilim hit us hard. Most of our units have gone up 5-10%. The new CP rules mean that a Battalion is almost mandatory but our Troop units suck (I am still sore about Avengers moving to Elites). I think that 3x5 Rangers is probably going to be the only viable approach for competitive play. I am trying to decide if Patrol + Spearhead/Vanguard with 3CPs to start with is going to be viable.

Most of our WLTs are Relics are actually fairly mediocre so I will probably save CPs by just not bothering with these. I only took one of each in the past because they were free. The Pheonix Lords and other Special Characters benefit slightly as they get wargear and special rules baked in, even if you don't want to take their WLTs.

Armour of Contempt has basically negated the extra point of AP we got on our Shuriken weapons (Yes I know there are other armies in the game but realistically >50% of my games are against armies with AoC).

I think we are playable but I certainly don't see us being anywhere near top tier.

I run 3x5 rangers, bs2 troop choices! :biggrin: 

and if you come across squishy guard type characters all the better:yes:

There are some oddities, dark reapers being awful, but there a new plastic kit:sad: sins of the past...but still, you would think gw would want them to sell:ermm:

and points increases to the other Plords was also odd, quite a few of them are mediocre and you get more mileage out of some of the upgraded exarchs:yes:

Avatar is horrifically overcosted, 20 points away from Abaddon:laugh:

I used to run an autarch for rerolls, but I find them also far to expensive for what they are:yes:

I swapped mine out for a war walker with duel bright lances with change:biggrin:

I like the Corsairs from a fluff PoV but rules-wise I am struggling to find a use for them. The Troops version do not count towards minimum Troops although I guess they still get ObjSec.

The Elite version are quite nice but not cheap and compete with things like Aspect Warriors. I guess the embedded Psyker offers a few opportunities but nothing that cannot be achieved with an extra Warlock.

I bought these more for the painting side. I know voidscarred are outclassed in the elite slot. I’m more wondering if a unit of individuals or a more uniform weapon mix is best. I guess I can do one of each.

The harlequin nerf that hurts me most is the faction bonus. 

16 hours ago, The Blood Raven said:

Is anybody here running corsairs even if just for fun?

I picked up two boxes and assume the Void Scarred are likely the best option despite aspect and wraiths probably being better choices.

I think the troop version - 10ppm for a decent profile and power weapon, is great. You still need 3x troops though, so 3x rangers in the backfield maybe? Banshees seem a lot of points after the change, but you get 2 corsairs per banshee, so they might be a good discount harassment unit if you can get them in the opposing backfield?

I had a game v orks last night, 72-68 loss for the Eldar overall, but he was pressing me on primaries the whole game. I found a good use for rangers, which is 2x5 and stick them in strat reserve, then bring them on in turns 2 and 3 to do Nachmund Data. If you can do it in T1 with other stuff, you're almost guaranteed to max it at the cost of ~130pts and 1CP. The rangers then likely die a horrible death, but they'll present a decision for your opponent. 

I have heard similar stories about using rangers in that way. I fear losing ObSec so thoughtlessly. 

I’ve moved away from the GT scenarios and have been playing Tempest of War. This approach reduces my mental overload and lets me play the game instead of pre-playing the game. 

the other thing a few months in is I’m focusing on what I want to buy and paint because the rules and points change too much to plan purchases. I really haven’t enjoyed playing much since the Thousand Sons codex was released. The new Eldar codex has me more focused on the creative side. 

Just now, The Blood Raven said:

I’ve moved away from the GT scenarios and have been playing Tempest of War. This approach reduces my mental overload and lets me play the game instead of pre-playing the game. 

Agree, I've played a few tempest games, and they are good, and reduce pre-and mid game mental load. That might be the way forwards in general, actually, but in terms of matched-play competitiveness, I'm not sure how we're doing.

Any/alll of Eldar obsec is squishy. If you actually want to do anything with it beyond hug a home objective, such as deny an opponent's objective, then that unit will certainly die next turn. 

8 hours ago, The Blood Raven said:

I've played quite a few nachmund games with quins and had average success. Mainly down to my army list and my generalship!! Had fun every time though. 

Although I only started playing this year, I've found the constant rules and points change tiresome. I've played 1 tempest game and it's much more my style, this will be my 40k go to I think. 

Currently in deep with the heresy so that will be my focus for the rest of the year I think. Game time is limited.