2k War Hounds/WE Crimson Path

Bodtfarm

Hi all, just picked up the starter box. This army is designed to make the most of the box minis and give me some small conversion projects.

I picked Crimson Path because its associated with the old 12th Legion, and I think the wound discarding mechanic is pretty awesome. 

So how does this list work? The jump packers start applying pressure right away. The Delegatus+Cataphracti+Contemptor walk up the middle with the theme song from Jaws playing.  The Spartan provides a lift for the Delegatus+Termies, or hangs out in the rear hunting tanks and elites. Tac squads camp objectives and menace people with their super-expensive-but fluffy chain axes. 

-HQ

Cataphracti Delegatus w/ grenade harness, thunder hammer

-Elites

10 Rampagers with Falax Blades, Jump Packs, including Sgt with AA and Falax Blades

2 Apothecaries with AA, chain axes, jump packs

1 Contemptor with a Gravis Lascannon

7 Cataphracti with 3 Pfists, 2 Lclaws, 2 Power Weapons, Reaper Autocannon, Vexilla, Sgt. with Grenade Harness

-Troops

10 Assault Marines w/ chain axes, 2x Power Weapons, Sgt. with Falax blades, AA

10 Tacticals w/chain axes, augury scanner, sgt with AA

10 Tacticals as above

-Heavy Support

LR Spartan with a searchlight

Should be 2k exactly.  All the units score and deny thanks to Crimson Path, except the Termies. 

Why do you even consider walking the Terminators (like dogs :rolleyes:) and set the Spartan to tank-hunting duty? Transporters are not quite the death traps they are in 40k, so Spartan without stuffing would be a total waste in my book.

Aside from that it seems like a thematic and decent list. Apparently you'll play them as Warhounds, and the list suits the early legio XII well - hitting like a brick in melee while still playing the tactical game. Kudos to this.

Edited by Volth

6 hours ago, Volth said:

Why do you even consider walking the Terminators (like dogs :rolleyes:) and set the Spartan to tank-hunting duty? Transporters are not quite the death traps they are in 40k, so Spartan without stuffing would be a total waste in my book.

Aside from that it seems like a thematic and decent list. Apparently you'll play them as Warhounds, and the list suits the early legio XII well - hitting like a brick in melee while still playing the tactical game. Kudos to this.

Thanks! You're picking up what I'm putting down when it comes to tactics and narrative themes.

As for the Spartan, it can float back and forth between being a dedicated transport or a HS choice.  Using it on its own and letting the Cataphracti walk is a ploy to make an opponent split their low AP shots.  It's a better ploy if they're Tartaros, but that's a problem for the future. 

As my collection grows, I'll look to add Barrage weapons, Destroyers and Tanks/Dreads.  Pinning is awesome, indirect fire limits Return Fire reactions, and I want to field all those nasty, dark age weapons from the Unification Wars/Old Night. 

Edited by Bodtfarm