Mephiston updated rules concept

Wugo_Heaving

I wrote this new datasheet for Mephiston up ages ago (pre- Armour of Contempt and points drop) and wanted to post it somewhere since it's just sat on my computer not being seen by anyone. I think his points would need to go back up, but other than that he's better but not over-powered? What do you think?

(The new rules and changes are highlighted in orange.)

CHIEF LIBRARIAN MEPHISTON                                                                                     

No.

Name

M

WS

BS

S

T

W

A

Ld

Sv

Chief Librarian Mephiston

7”

2+

2+

2+

Chief Librarian Mephiston is equipped with: Gaze of Calistarius; Vitarus; Frag grenades, krak grenades. Your army can only include one CHIEF LIBRARIAN MEPHISTON model.

WEAPON

RANGE

TYPE

S

AP

D

ABILITIES

Gaze of Calistarius

12”

Pistol 1

Each time an attack made with this weapon, if a hit is scored, draw a straight line between the closest part of this model’s base and that of the closest model in the target unit. Make one wound roll against the target unit, and each other unit this line passes over.

Vitarus

Melee

Melee

X2

D3

Each time an attack is made with this weapon, an unmodified wound roll of 5+  inflicts 1 mortal wound on the target in addition to any normal damage.

ABILITIES

Angels of Death, Death From Above,  (see Codex: Space Marines)

Chief Librarian: Each time this model attempts to manifest a psychic power add 1 to the Psychic test.

Psychic Hood: Each time a Deny the Witch test is taken for this model, if the unit attempting to manifest the psychic power is within 12” of this model, add 1 to that Deny the Witch test.

Lord of Death: Each time this model would lose a wound, roll one D6: on a 5+ that wound is not lost.

(Ability) Life Drain: At the end of the Fight phase, if this model has destroyed 3 or more INFANTRY, BIKER or MONSTER  models this model gains 1 additional Wound per 3 models destroyed which had a Toughness characteristic of 3 or more. In addition, if this model destroys 1 or more INFANTRY, BIKER or MONSTER  models which had a Toughness characteristic of 7 or more, this model gains 2 additional Wounds. Wounds regained, or gained, with this ability can increase this model’s Wound characteristic to a maximum of 7.

PSYKER

This model can attempt to manifest two psychic powers in your Psychic phase and attempt to deny two psychic powers in your opponent’s Psychic phase. It knows Smite , two psychic powers from the Sanguinary discipline and one psychic power from either the Sanguinary discipline or the Librarius discipline (see Codex: Space Marines)

FACTION KEYWORDS: IMPERIUM, ADEPTUS ASTARTES, BLOOD ANGELS

KEYWORDS: INFANTRY, CHARACTER, LIBRARIAN, PRIMARIS, PSYKER, CHIEF LIBRARIAN, MEPHISTON

Edited by Wugo_Heaving

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would say, drop the gaze and life drain and you are good to go. Those two abilities are too complicated in my opinion. Also please add a 5++ like every master crafted armour has nowadays. If Mephiston armour isn't mastercrafted I don't know what to say. It won't matter that often with a 2+ and AoC anyway. Also you've forgotten his plasma pistol ;) 

3 hours ago, Rhavien said:

I would say, drop the gaze and life drain and you are good to go. Those two abilities are too complicated in my opinion. Also please add a 5++ like every master crafted armour has nowadays. If Mephiston armour isn't mastercrafted I don't know what to say. It won't matter that often with a 2+ and AoC anyway. Also you've forgotten his plasma pistol ;) 

Fairly sure the gaze is a custom plasma pistol based on its actual damage profile. At least for intention.

personally I’d give him a plasma pistol and say he only loses a wound on a 1.

then give him transfixing gaze which would simply be, models with a lower Ld than his are on -1 to hit in melee

On 9/7/2022 at 12:53 AM, Blindhamster said:

Fairly sure the gaze is a custom plasma pistol based on its actual damage profile. At least for intention.

personally I’d give him a plasma pistol and say he only loses a wound on a 1.

then give him transfixing gaze which would simply be, models with a lower Ld than his are on -1 to hit in melee

Ooooh! The gaze is the plasma pistol! Never made the connection. I just imagened he would stare a hole in his enemies and everything between :)

Well, my point still stands. It's unnecessary complicated. And I'm saying this whilst knowing that the short ones got this as a weapon type for themself. Just give him a plasma pistol or MC pistol that doesn't overheat. 

Transfixing gaze as you've suggested sounds cool.