Worst Hobby mishaps and act of (Chaos) God

Captain Idaho

Just a little fun whilst also venting, let's talking about our worst hobby mishaps. Things that drive you nuts when it goes wrong but are really first world problems and not the end of the world.

I'll go first as an example...

Today I had my new home made carry cases slide off the GW one I was carrying in my room.  Those GW cases aren't good for stacking at all and thus the cases fell. 

Not context with a modest crash, they proceeded to explode the miniatures inside. Literally - 3 Terminators smashed into pieces, Vindicator Laser Destroyer track cracking into pieces, my Triarch Stalker conversion busted and I might not salvage the Custodes due to the nature of the breakages.

What was in the box, TNT?

To add insult to injury, as I was trying to fix the Terminators, grumbling as I went all sorts of obscenities that would make a Drukhari blush, my sweaty palms pulled the transfers off. That's right, they were freshly painted, based and ready to be spray painted for protection at the time.

More swear words followed and a vow for vengeance against something.

The body count is too numerous to relay here, but suffice to say I get why super villains want to destroy the world. I don't condone it, but in that moment I would have laid firey doom down upon sheep farmers in the outer Hebrides out of spite.

Few rant over. I wish I could say I feel better now but I got a bunch of models to paint and rebuild, rebase and quietly resent for all eternity. 

So, my 3D Printed EmanG Skarbrand, this monster?
EWAwSFG.jpg

The 130mm base came in, so I did what I was planning on doing and I glued it to the base. Holding it to the base, I just heard -CRACK, POP, THUNK- and my table rattled.

I didn't break it, but he broke himself:
SBDaKrP.jpg

My FLGS' owner printed it with an infill and never cleaned out the liquid resin, so when I did that the day I picked it up, liquid resin inside it had been ACTIVELY DE-CURING THE WALLS OF THE HOLLOW BODY FOR THREE DAYS. This was the source of the cracks, and those were because gasses were being produced by that reaction and causing the walls to shift. It basically meant what happened here was going to happen no matter what, Worst part? He's not taking any responsibility or accountability for it and blew me off/not responded to me about replacing it because "I printed bigger stuff than that and didn't drain the resin and it's fine"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

First world problems? Yes
Last time I have him print anything bigger than a Dreadnought for me? Also, yes.

Additionally, I was drilling a hole in the backpack of Sword Praetor from the Age of Darkness box so I could paint it. I managed to drill all the way through the backpack and through the vents on the middle of the back of it. Thankfully someone who converted their Praetor had the backpack spare, but still

Edited by Gederas

Here's the fun I had. I was at a stage where I had completed the decal application on my Knight and decided I'd do some weathering with an oil wash. I was too lazy to apply another layer of varnish so I got right to it. My decals were all fine except for one. I had layers of text one the left shoulder plate and as I moved the brush across the decal it started to disintegrate. Some blind panic ensued and I decided to follow it up with some battle damage. I stippled Forge World black soot weathering powder into the damaged area and then added Green Stuff World's black metal powder over that to (hopefully) make it look like the paint has burned away. 

Lesson learned, don't skip a varnish step if you can help it.

1658426274973.jpg

19 hours ago, Gederas said:

Last time I have him print anything bigger than a Dreadnought for me? Also, yes.

:jawdrop:

Dude, I'd not only never use his "services" again, but also tell everyone I can about how he dealt with your issue and what his practices are.

It's one thing that the large print is destroyed purely because he cannot use the printer properly and cure the prints and he's also being a complete :cuss: about it. A completely another is that he admits to regularly creating an extreme toxic hazard with the uncured resin!

I'd tell everyone who get their prints there that they're risking resin all over their hands during assembly / prep, during drilling or gods forbid resin fluid and fumes while painting, brush licking, etc. That is so insanely irresponsible I'd probably be informing the authorities about the health hazard he creates.

Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg

I once stripped some breachers from Forgeworld. They were some models I bought when I was first learning to paint, the paint job wasn’t even that bad, I just thought it would be easier to start them again now I was a bit more experienced. I used Biostrip 20 which I’d used loads on plastic models and it’s brilliant. I didn’t think anything of using it on resin but it did something weird to the resin. The shields became super flexible, like when you heat resin but even worse. Seriously, these things would flap like cloth in a breeze! I had to bin them, they were so bad. So instead of living with an okay beginner paint job I destroyed some models that would now cost me nearly £90 to replace :(

Probably not a big deal but when I was 12 my parents had bought me the third Ed starter set so I could get into the hobby. I was beyond stoked. My dad had laboured for a good week or so tiling a new kitchen floor so the house would be set for Christmas, he was beyond stoked about the nice crisp white floor tiles he’d broken his back over.

They went over the road for a Christmas party at some neighbours but I declined to go and just wanted to get stuck into painting my new toys. I had no idea what I was doing at the time but knew that models needed an undercoat. No rattle can in sight I cracked open a fresh pot of chaos black and went about slapping it all over the land speeder and a few dark eldar warriors… those boys were sharp and I put my arm down on one and got a little stab in the elbow from one of the helmets I guess. The end result was a whole pot of chaos black all over the fresh white tiles and a very panicked young boy trying to mop it all up. 

There was a surprising amount of paint in the little pot. 

I once used that liquid water stuff you melt from the plastic beads on a piece of foam scenery I hadn't sealed well enough and it melted through the terrain and in my panic I picked it up and spilled some of the molten hot resin on my hand where it hardened immediatly and took every layer of skin off with it. Needless to say I don't use that stuff anymore and yes it was incredibly painful.

Another time I picked up my 30k Ultramarines army case without locking it and dumped an entire painted army 4 feet to the ground. It was a massacre worse than the one at Calth.

Edited by OttoVonAwesome

Was painting at my ex's house, and the dropper bottle of black paint I had was clogged.  So, being the genius I am, I squeezed the bottle harder and harder until the top with the nozzle popped off and splattered black paint all over her white wall :wallbash:

4 hours ago, Reclusiarch Krieg said:

:jawdrop:

Dude, I'd not only never use his "services" again, but also tell everyone I can about how he dealt with your issue and what his practices are.

It's one thing that the large print is destroyed purely because he cannot use the printer properly and cure the prints and he's also being a complete :cuss: about it. A completely another is that he admits to regularly creating an extreme toxic hazard with the uncured resin!

I'd tell everyone who get their prints there that they're risking resin all over their hands during assembly / prep, during drilling or gods forbid resin fluid and fumes while painting, brush licking, etc. That is so insanely irresponsible I'd probably be informing the authorities about the health hazard he creates.

I don't have a 3D Printer and don't know if I can even put one in my "apartment" (I live in the attic of my house, and it gets very hot/humid up here) so if I want 3D Printed bits.... I mean, I've had no issues before this point (I have a very large amount of Mark II marines, along with shoulders and heads) so it's not a break moment for me. It's just aggravating that because he had an issue tangentially related to the print itself (power outage during hour 13/14 of the wings) it made him so upset that he didn't touch the model aside from the bare minimum supports removing, curing/cleaning.

2 minutes ago, Wolf Guard Einar said:

Watching my friends ex throwing his warhound titan into a fire pit

So.... Uhh,.... How'd you guys dispose of the body? Pigs? Lye?

(joking, obviously. But if that was my Warhound, hands would be caught)

4 hours ago, Helias Tancred said:

Drilling holes into the arms of my FW Dark Angels contemptor, sinking the magnets perfectly super glued in .... then only to find I had the polarity totally reversed.

Oh no! I think I've almost done that but was able to swap a magnet last minute! 

1500pts of a Harlequins army managed to get knocked off a couch by my two dogs playing. The 55 lb one landed on the army, snapping the ankles of 90 percent of the infantry and the flying bases of the four Starweavers. That was pretty depressing and took hours to pin/fix, which I didn't do until months later because I was so pissed.

The first big one I made was when I had just gotten into the hobby, maybe 6 months. I'd painted the Space Marines from the starter set and a dreadnought., but wasn't super happy with the Dread. In a moment of brilliance, I decided to strip the paint from him like I had for a couple metal characters. With nail polish remover. Chucked the poor boy in and left him for a couple days, thinking he would be fine. He was not.

17 hours ago, Helias Tancred said:

Drilling holes into the arms of my FW Dark Angels contemptor, sinking the magnets perfectly super glued in .... then only to find I had the polarity totally reversed.

I did this exact thing with an oldhammer forest dragon. Wasn't about to dig them out of the metal body so I had to carve them out of the plastic wings and re-sculpted half the connection point. Good times

2 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

It's likely a resounding yes from everyone, but has anyone tried to hurriedly repair damaged/converted models before something sets and sliced their fingers with a modeling knife?

I still have a scar and slightly mucked up nail from where I gouged my finger trying to remove those :cuss::cuss::cuss: bases from the Space Hulk Terminators, so yes lol

36 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

It's likely a resounding yes from everyone, but has anyone tried to hurriedly repair damaged/converted models before something sets and sliced their fingers with a modeling knife?

20220726_201218.thumb.jpg.dde0e8a6d1705824e046e7402ee34fd6.jpg

4 times. One such time I had to have the wound glued up by a nurse and I had stabbed it into my thumb, there was a lot of blood.

43 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

20220726_201218.thumb.jpg.dde0e8a6d1705824e046e7402ee34fd6.jpg

I have a two inch scar at the top of my right thigh due to hobbying. I was carving some flying bases into icicles for the bases of some Space Wolves. And of course, being a pillock i wasnt using the cutting mat properly. The knife slipped, past my desk, straight through my jeans and into my leg.  I ended up with four stiches and a nice reminder to be safer with knives in future.

Yesterday I was airbrushing parts of the new plastic spartan. Was lazy and kept the model to dry in the airbrush booth as I was cleaning the airbrush out... derped and covered my freshly painted model in airbrush cleaner and watched as the paint just sloughed right off.:cry: