CP usage, what’s your strat for strats?

i think thats the battle we are all figuring out atm. going into my last battle (as nids) i was reluctant going in under the new rules on spending too much pre battle. 6 pre list writing seems tight. but then in practice with the 1 cp per each round it actually was fine. i found i probably did play too safe rather than using my stuff appropriately . i used 3 on traits and relics so started with 3. opponent went first and so 4 for defensive measures... well i didn't need them... i suppose its planning as if you are going second. and to leave a couple unless you recon you are far better doing something in your turn to guarantee something is removed than having to try a defensive in your opponents turn. its a hard balance though. from what ive seen i usually see a cp reroll as rarely actually worth it and the amount of bad uses of ti that iv seen is mad. rerolling a perils is likely worth it. rerolling a 5+ is mad...  but yeah its probably worth weighing up when certain strats are worth while, they are usually more effective earlier in battle at full strength but then some only will work later on so itll vary and break down by every army and by how the battle goes

I tend to blow mine early as taking out a key enemy unit or preserving one of mine is likely to be more significant in the early game than the late. If I take out a key enemy unit T2 then it will not be damaging me or scoring on T3-5. Of course judging whether it is the right moment to turn the tide of battle with a key stratagem is part of the fun.

Spend ASAP. If you save them, you suffer losses so will have less things to spend them on. You win the game by crippling your opponent's ability to 1) score and 2) damage you. I'll spend them as needed, in turns 1 and 2 - so if I need to reroll an advance to get an objective, I will, or a failed wound from a lascannon that would have killed a tank etc. 

Gotta say, I blow mine pretty early too. Either blowing up something critical or setting up a unit. I try to keep a hold of at least 1 CP going in to each opponent's turn, you might need that re-roll for one crucial save or to keep one unit going on. For a lot of my games, my Warlord is a BA leader, and usually takes the re-roll saves, to hit and to wound WT. It saves CP in the long run, and benefits the Inferno Pistol I usually take, letting me re-roll that d6 damage.

I use my CP mid-game primarily to crack open defensive points like objectives, or to launch daring maneuvers. Terror Troops is a frequent choice of mine, since I am just about the only player who uses Reivers. Opening up an objective for the unit to grab is a pretty good way of grabbing some VP, and if you disrupt a firepoint then so much the better. Wings of Fire and Guerilla Tactics are both good ways to wrong foot a foe, especially one with slow moving deep strikers. I have completely inundated an entire Deathwing list with these strats and some scumbaggery.

Well for those of us who are more Crusade/Narrative Play oriented, WLT and relics are purchased with Requisition Points instead of Command Points when adding are character to our Ommand Roster or when a character levels, meaning the starting amount tends to be greater. The way I figure it you’ve got two ways of spending CP in game. Those that you build a strategy around from the onset, taking out a particularly valuable target, or if you’re going second using a defensive stratagem to mitigate damage allowing your key unit to do its work. And then those that you may choose to use as circumstance arises, for example a command reroll when rolling for the damage a weapon deals when you might need three damage to outright kill an enemy tank but initially only roll one damage. Or Hellfire rounds on your heavy bolter to deal MW to finish of a tough unit. As has been said though typically you’re better off using them early on when your units are at their best. Using Weapons of the Dark Age on your full strength Dark Angles Hellblasters squad to make their heavy incinerators D4 in turn 1 or 2 when Devastator Doctrine is active, rather than waiting till turn 5 when Assault Doctrine is active and your unit has taken casualties. Also game size is a factor.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

I'm finding some Strategies require CP investment, such as Terminators hoping to charge out of Teleport.

If you haven't got anything like that, I'd recommend choosing your CP allocation to Strategums that are critical in game, after the big changes from starting 12 to 6 for most games. Don't bother with the rerolls unless absolutely clutch to winning.

Same as interruption of combat - will it change the game to have a squad attack before Abaddon does when he's gonna suffer 3 wounds in the multi-combat and kill the unit anyway.

In a similar way, taking additional Relics and Warlord Traits is costly and will they change the game?

Edited by Captain Idaho

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

I'm finding some Strategies require CP investment, such as Terminators hoping to charge out of Teleport.

If you haven't got anything like that, I'd recommend choosing your CP allocation to Strategums that are critical in game, after the big changes from starting 12 to 6 for most games. Don't bother with the rerolls unless absolutely clutch to winning.

Same as interruption of combat - will it change the game to have a squad attack before Abaddon does when he's gonna suffer 3 wounds in the multi-combat and kill the unit anyway.

In a similar way, taking additional Relics and Warlord Traits is costly and will they change the game?

the chief apothecary WLT can change the game. did for my last game anyway.

Aside from the occasional tactical application of Ramming Speed! or Drive By Dakka, I mostly spend a couple up-front on a second warlord and relic then save the rest for Counter-Offensive and Insane Bravery, with rerolls peppered in. Ork strategems are terrible.

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

the chief apothecary WLT can change the game. did for my last game anyway.

Yeah that's a good use of a Warlord Trait. May be the best place for Warlord too, now it costs CP just for the first.

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

Yeah that's a good use of a Warlord Trait. May be the best place for Warlord too, now it costs CP just for the first.

Kept me from killing a squad of BGVs and forced me to focus my fire on things I could kill…but my exploding leman Russ got them and his termie character.