How strong are Gravis Plasma Cannons?

Marshal Mittens

Plasma cannons are really not great these days and the gravis one is arguably worse as you're paying 195 for 2, compared to 200 for 7 from a HSS.

Still has the potential to overheat and prevent the shot, still needs 4s to cut through armour, still can't instant death multiwound models, and still only counts as 1 STR 7 ap 4 hit against vehicles. But, you also get the added negative of granting armour save rerolls vs. units with heavy.

They need to lose gets hot and maybe gain another special rule that gives them more utility or reliability.

The only real time I can see a giving a Contemptor a Plasma cannon being worthwhile is in ZM where, if the rules for blasts and how they scatter remain the same, could be pretty solid.

Outside of that, its honestly a tough sell and I ran a Plasma Cannon & Plasma blaster Contemptor in 1.0 whos glanced himself to death in a single shooting phase before.

Maybe this will change once Mechanicum and Imperial Army are released and we see a proliferation of T3 4+ or worse save bodies out there where a 5" S7 Ap4 blast will get to shine in just removing handful of (albeit cheap) models off the table.

Until that time though, take it if you think it looks cool but temper your expectations and I definitely would not have Double Plasma Cannons since that opens you up to just getting tarpit for the rest of the game.

The main reason I want to to work is because I think it looks cool. In my mind it seemed strong but you all make pretty convincing arguments against it, to be sure. 

All my current dreads are melee + gun but I was considering dual gun for some. 

Edited by Marshall Mittens

2 hours ago, Brofist said:

Box dreads are better platforms for dual plasma cannons. They're not reliable, but I do feel they're a decent choice for some lists. Most critically their extreme range makes them a viable counter to gun lines or heavy weapon squads.

Also the fact that they are int 2 now makes them a far less viable combat unit. I might go back to the 2nd edition Dark Angel lascannon and missile launcher.