Prospective IF successor

Not sure when I’ll actually start building this force and no clue color scheme, but I’ll be building a small IF successor army. Still looking for a name for the chapter

Some of the lore I have so far

recruits from all over the sector their homeworld occupies, via small fortified outposts.

Aspirants who make it to the third trial, but don’t make the final cut,  are offered a place within the chapter as armament, and often act as the primary garrisons of each of the outposts.

one of the more far flung outposts came under siege from the orks, after sacking most of the planet.  Sending out a distress signal it was picked up by the Angels de Mari (my Ba successors.) who responded, using an orbital strike to release pressure and assaulting the ork rear.

several days later the first and fourth companies responded and fully broke the green skin waaagh

Name suggestion Errant Sentinels.  A small play off of Knight Errant, who is a knight searching for chivalrous adventure, and Sentinels.  Seems like a proper Dornian theme.  

Why not make it fleet based with small sentinel fortresses like you described?

No issues with the aspirants.  I think that most aspirants that get to are accepted to become go through the trials either die in the process, become a Space Marine or if they fail in between become Chapter serfs in some form.

First Companies are rarely deployed enmasse, elements of the First Company and the Fourth Company could have easily deployed, then you get both.  

13 hours ago, CCE1981 said:

Name suggestion Errant Sentinels.  A small play off of Knight Errant, who is a knight searching for chivalrous adventure, and Sentinels.  Seems like a proper Dornian theme.  

No issues with the aspirants.  I think that most aspirants that get to are accepted to become go through the trials either die in the process, become a Space Marine or if they fail in between become Chapter serfs in some form.

First Companies are rarely deployed enmasse, elements of the First Company and the Fourth Company could have easily deployed, then you get both.  

Not literally the entire first company, but ya know enough that it’s easier to just say the first company. Same with the fourth it wasn’t the full 100 brothers, but most.

when a chapter fortress on a world protected by the chapter is nearly overrun seems like special enough of a situation to justify such large scale deployment 

On 7/31/2022 at 6:00 PM, CCE1981 said:

I’m thinking errant templars.

now I just need a color scheme that doesn’t include colors that are hell to paint

How about black, with knee pads, shoulder pads, elbows and face plate dirty yellow?  Segeants can just have their helmet fin painted red.

Impetial Fist Succesors color schemes can be pretty great to get ideas for by googling “30k Impetial Fists colors”. They seem to have a huge variety of similar but different schemes.

41 minutes ago, CCE1981 said:

How about black, with knee pads, shoulder pads, elbows and face plate dirty yellow?  Segeants can just have their helmet fin painted red.

Impetial Fist Succesors color schemes can be pretty great to get ideas for by googling “30k Impetial Fists colors”. They seem to have a huge variety of similar but different schemes.

Honestly I’m thinking purple, with gold.

purple is not a color I’d normally go for, but i don’t want them to look like they could be part of my BA army so, lots of red or or black is out 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if what sort of help you are looking for entirely but I can always leave my two cents and hope it is helpful. I have been working on homebrewing my own custom successor chapter for Imperial Fists to fill out a planned Last Wall army.  Also I enjoy purple schemes ala my Soul Drinkers.

It really depends on why you are homebrewing a successor though. For me when I chose Soul Drinkers it was as simple as I liked purple and gold. At the time the Ultima Founding lore was super new so I said they were refounded by Roboute Gulliman and were made of IF genetic stock definitively. Since then I know books have been released that have said otherwise but that’s just my chapter. 

The homebrew chapter I have been working on lorewise is called the Thunderbirds. I wanted them to be good at aerial assaults and use phobos armor primarily.

For names my best tips are to consider what combat tactics and units you want to field, decide on a color and maybe a chapter symbol. When I chose Thunderbirds, it’s because I see them using the eagle from the Raptora Imperialis in the Heresy and their combat tactics. Fists, Knights, and Templar are all suffixes successors of Dorn use I would not necessarily feel constricted by them since there are also chapters like the Executioners or the Hospitallers or Hammers of Dorn. If you are leaning to more chunky infantry units you could also pick a name that leans more that way: Eternal Defenders, Stone Guardians, etc.

Long story short there’s a lot of places to pull names from: chapter tactics, colors like you were thinking, real or fictional history. These could help your stylistic choices and really help set your chapter apart from the Imperial Fists.

Hope the writeup helps! At the end of the day always go with what is coolest to you and what will motivate your hobby. Make the choices that inspire you.