=][= NEW BADGES/ACHIEVEMENTS INCOMING =][=

By now, most of us have seen the shiny new badges and achievements, recognizing participation at the site and within the community. The existing range of badges and achievements aren't the limit, however. We've been working on additional badges that recognize other aspects of participation in the hobby. Here's a preview of some of them...

Featured in White Dwarf Magazine
As the flagship medium for showcasing the hobby, appearing in White Dwarf Magazine is a notable accomplishment. Whether a member has an entire army shown in an article or just a single miniature, just appearing in the hobby's official magazine is worthy of recognition. We're still working on our process for verifying members' appearances in WD, but once we get that process finalized, we'll open the doors for awarding this badge. This will probably be a one and done badge - members will earn it once, regardless of the number of times their work appears in WD.

1681722831_WhiteDwarfMagazine.gif.2f8cca

There are some appearances for which members won't earn the above badge. For example, if your work appears while you are an employee of Games Workshop and the work is part of your official work (e.g., you're a game developer whose army is used in a batrep, you're a Black Library author and your professional work is featured in an article), you won't earn the above badge. We'll probably develop an alternate badge for GW employees (which is cool, too). Winning/participating in tournaments/contests such as LVO also won't earn the above badge. We'll probably develop some alternate badges for those, too. Lastly, if you're one of the cool kids who is good enough to win a Golden Daemon (whether bronze, silver, or gold) or a Slayer Sword, you won't earn the above badge. Instead, we've created these:

879389267_GD-Bronze.gif.c73d0724f1f4b38e 1397104666_GD-Silver.gif.ac65792f3ca486b 1494361681_GD-Gold.gif.944d2edda2341794d

1826807658_GD-SlayerSword.gif.1d5bb48c36

We're working on our process for these, too, but we look forward to awarding these badges. These badges will be awarded for each of the awards, so if you're a three time winner of the gold Golden Daemon and a five time winner of the silver Golden Daemon, you'll get that number of badges.

These are the full-size versions of the badges. If you've looked at your profile (or anyone else's, for that matter), you've seen the size at which they actually display.

If you have any ideas for badges, we'd love to hear them.

Being just visible at the side of a photo from Games Day doesn't count as "featured in White Dwarf", right? I don't know how you could verify a 25 year old photo of the back of my head anyway but I'm certain it's me. :biggrin:

These badges are a nice idea. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store.

*Heads to the WD archive to see if his name ever appeared as an event particpant...*

Hey Brother Tyler, this is a neat thing to do. I guess the WD badge is awarded retroactively? In that case I gotta dig through my old WDs to see when my stuff was published.

Now I still gotta win me a demon, somehow... :)

8 hours ago, Kenzaburo said:

Hey Brother Tyler, this is a neat thing to do. I guess the WD badge is awarded retroactively? In that case I gotta dig through my old WDs to see when my stuff was published.

Now I still gotta win me a demon, somehow... :)

Yes, we'll be awarding the badge for all appearing in WD at any time, past, present, or future. We won't do it for a picture of you (anyone, not just Kenzaburo) as an innocent bystander/convention attendee (e.g., the back of your head), but if you appear in WD for some reason, there will be some badge for it. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe just having your face appear in WD for any reason should be sufficient. It's almost like getting your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone, but geekier.

3 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

And just like that, bevulf has been awarded the badge (you can see a note at the top of the post that Grotsmasha linked, and you'll see it if you open bevulf's profile).