Scouts - viable builds?

newmajorpanic

Just wanting to see if Scouts were viable at all. They seem to really suffer in comparison with Recon squads:

Scouts:

• 65 points for five
  • 4+ save and Move Through Cover
  • 1" extra movement

Recons:

• 85 points for five
  • 3+ save and can take augury scanners

I would really love to take scouts but just can't make a case for them apart from maybe in White Scars where they have a crazy 9" movement. I love the idea of some cheap scouts with Nemesis bolters camping on an objective, but they are so squishy...

So a couple of possible builds:

Skirmishers: 10 scouts with 6 x chainsword / BP, 3 x shotguns, vexilla and a power fist on the sergeant: 130 points

Snipers: 5 scouts with 5 x Nemesis bolters: 115 points

Objective holders: 10 scouts with bolters, vexilla: 115 points

Thoughts anyone?

I've been looking at the same sniper build, if I can find some better heads for the EC as I have a set of sniper scouts left over from conquest. I'm not sure it'd be a staple of a list but a fun little swap to have as an option.

The objective holders build you have really doesn't appeal to me - that's 5 points more than a 10 man tac squad with a vexilla, I can't imagine the extra move being worth the reduced survivability.

One thing that I've considered is a 'reserve line' unit of 5 un-upgraded scouts. 65 throw away points of 5 bodies who just stay safe out of sight incase you need a unit with the line rule to suddenly go somewhere.

Imo they're best as outflankers with chainswords, a shotgun or two, and melta bombs. Blow up a vehicle, contest an objective, don't worry too much about the points that were spent if they die.

As sniper units, they lose out compared to recons, as the latter can actually score. 

On 8/1/2022 at 3:20 PM, SkimaskMohawk said:

Imo they're best as outflankers with chainswords, a shotgun or two, and melta bombs. Blow up a vehicle, contest an objective, don't worry too much about the points that were spent if they die.

As sniper units, they lose out compared to recons, as the latter can actually score. 

This might work. It’s true that for anything else they lose out to recon squads, pretty badly. A 4+ save in a game where there are cheap AP4 guns around is a big problem. Not being Line is another really huge problem. I can’t really see myself using them. 

On 8/6/2022 at 1:39 AM, Gorgoff said:

I guess the only viable way to use them is as a flanking unit with melta bombs. Movement 8 should help to charge whatever they need to and that's it. Kill that pesky Scorpius behind that hill.

that is how I was building my units for...yEEt that melta bomb on the new tanks and see if they make it to the next turn and do it again if they can

1 hour ago, Capitano said:

that is how I was building my units for...yEEt that melta bomb on the new tanks and see if they make it to the next turn and do it again if they can

Which models will you take?

On 8/11/2022 at 11:23 PM, Gorgoff said:

Which models will you take?

I was going to use the Goliath models from Necromunda and put scout tops on there and use those weapons as the weapons for the scouts

This guy has done amazing work and it seems to fit better then the old scout models they currently have...

2022-08-13.png