Crisis Suit Army Advice?

General Strike

If I was just running 1 or 2 squads of Crisis suits, I would probably go for Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle and Shield Generator. The weapons are both very meta-relevant and have decent range meaning you can use the suits to take Objectives without compromising their firepower. Battlesuits are durable but given the amount of firepower with AP-2 or better, Shield Generators are a good way to protect your investment.

Having said that, if you are using multiple squads, you can probably afford to mix it up a bit. Generally, I try to avoid bringing weapons on my Elites that I can get elsewhere in my army so I don't often bother with things like Burst Cannons but if your army is built around Suits, you may want to consider something for thinning the hordes. Putting a Fusion Blaster and Cyclic Ion Blaster on a suit gives you something short ranged that can Manta Strike in and threaten vehicles or heavy infantry.

Broadly speaking you will be looking at about 200 points per squad so your 6 squads will be 1200 points. At 1500 points, a couple of HQs will not leave much for Troops (although you could run a Vanguard detachment). At 2000 points you have a bit more breathing room and can probably run a proper Battalion.

I was thinking for my three squads of regular crisis equipping them with a burst cannon, Cyclic Ion Blaster, and Shield Generator. For the bodyguards I would do Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, and Shield Generator. I plan to run them as Farsight Enclaves, so Farsight, a Commander, and a Fireblade for HQ. Then 3 Breacher Teams for Troops. What do you think? 

Sounds like a lot of fun to play. The low model count may challenging and you may struggle against things like Knights without some big guns around but it definitely has potential. There are nearly 100 T5 wounds behind 3+/4++ saves in that list. That alone will take a lot to chew through.

The points on the Crisis are kinda crazy now but unfortunately they are the best unit by leaps. My list has 2 units of 5 cuz im weird about units of 3. One unit is my longer range unit thats usually on the board with Missile Pod, Shield Gen, 2x Plasma. And 2 Shield Drones. Thats 430pts

The 2nd unit is the deepstrike, in your face, absolutely must kill something unit with Shield Gen, Flamer, 2x Fusion. Also a unit of 5 and also 2 Shield Drones. 405pts.

Overall ive never liked CIBs due to their hurting themselves for worse firepower then a Fusion provides. And the range is strange vs what they do. 

3 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Overall ive never liked CIBs due to their hurting themselves for worse firepower then a Fusion provides. And the range is strange vs what they do. 

CIBs are basically there to kill MEQs. They can potentially kill 3 times as many as a Plasma rifle (albeit with the risk of overheating). Marines are a relevant part of the meta and you will need something to deal with them. CIB is not the only tool for this but worth considering.

16 hours ago, Karhedron said:

CIBs are basically there to kill MEQs. They can potentially kill 3 times as many as a Plasma rifle (albeit with the risk of overheating). Marines are a relevant part of the meta and you will need something to deal with them. CIB is not the only tool for this but worth considering.

The only thing that makes them okay at killing marines is having more shots. The dmg per shot and ap are worse then both Plasma and Fusion even while overcharged. Thats mainly why I dont like them. Your risking MWs on yourself for more shots that are still not as good as the other two options. And with AoC that ap -2 becomes -1 making them even worse while Plasma and Fusion are sitting pretty at -3 still.

A CIB will kill on average 1.25 Marines when overcharging (assuming target in the open and no modifiers but with A0C).

A Plasma Rifle will kill on average only 0.34 of a Marine under the same conditions which means the CIB is roughly 3 times as efficient vs 2 Wound models.

Now that is not all there is to it. If you are facing 3 wound models like Gravis or Terminators then CIB performs significantly worse. Also the CIB has shorter range and risks causing MWs on your own unit. However I would argue CIB is a good choice for a Bodyguard unit with a Crisis Commander to apply his ability to reroll 1s. Unlike Imperial plasma guns, an overheat causes 1 MW rather than killing the firer outright so the risks are moderate and managable.

Yeah Gravis and Termi popularity has gone up quite a bit. The reroll 1s is an important factor there. In my list I use a tanky Enforcer who hangs out with the Plasma unit or Ion Riptide as ranged firepower while the Fusion acts as the deepstriking melta unit

Edited by Malakithe