Declaring charges and resolving them

Gorgoff

On p. 160 it says that all Charges are announced and rolled first, then reactions are carried out.

P. 182 says that the next charge is only announced when all models of the first unit have been moved.

Suggested solutions?

I suspect this might be some overthinking on the Editor's part the exact quote on pg. 160:

During the Assault phase, the Reactive player may react when any enemy unit declares a Charge targeting a unit they control. Once the Active player has resolved all Charge Rolls, whether successful or not, but before any models are moved as part of either a Charge Move or a Surge Move, the Reactive player may choose to expend one of their Reactions for the phase...

The key phrase here is "resolved all Charge Rolls, whether successful or not", the implication being that there may be more than one Charge Roll. However, per pgs 180-182 each Charge is explicitly resolved before declaring the next Charge. My thinking is that the wording for Charge Rolls on pg 160 is structured like that to account for re-rolls of charge distances - ie. you have one Charge Roll, it's unsuccessful but you re-roll, so that's another Charge Roll to resolve. 

2 hours ago, Brofist said:

Going one by one is easier, but in my last game the sequence mattered. You should do them all at once as it can impact the combats.

What happened in your last game?

10 hours ago, stretch_135 said:

I suspect this might be some overthinking on the Editor's part the exact quote on pg. 160:

The key phrase here is "resolved all Charge Rolls, whether successful or not", the implication being that there may be more than one Charge Roll. However, per pgs 180-182 each Charge is explicitly resolved before declaring the next Charge. My thinking is that the wording for Charge Rolls on pg 160 is structured like that to account for re-rolls of charge distances - ie. you have one Charge Roll, it's unsuccessful but you re-roll, so that's another Charge Roll to resolve. 

Yes, that is it. Thanks.

15 hours ago, Cactus said:

What happened in your last game?

We were trying to get the game finished (it ran a bit late) and I declared/charged the wrong unit first. I then couldn't get a possible critical charge off to wipe the one squad sitting on the objective with two melee units. As such, the squad survived and scored the winning objective at the end of the game.

So it was a 'models in the way' problem then? If you had resolved them in a different sequence I guess it would have worked out how you wanted. I was curious if there was a fundamental difference that produced some strange skewed outcome.

Anyway, I'm certain now that the bullet points on page 180 are the intended way (completely resolve the unit's charge move and reactions before moving on to another unit). I just can't believe that is a mistake that slipped through editing and the odd plural usage on page 160 is not, rather than vice versa.

1 hour ago, Cactus said:

So it was a 'models in the way' problem then? If you had resolved them in a different sequence I guess it would have worked out how you wanted. I was curious if there was a fundamental difference that produced some strange skewed outcome.

Anyway, I'm certain now that the bullet points on page 180 are the intended way (completely resolve the unit's charge move and reactions before moving on to another unit). I just can't believe that is a mistake that slipped through editing and the odd plural usage on page 160 is not, rather than vice versa.

TECHNICALLY, a jump pack unit ignores all models and terrain. But we were running late and so we couldn't waste time arguing the situation. Just that if I charged first with unit A, I could have allowed unit B to mop up the one scoring unit while unit C charged something else without getting in the way.