2000pts Ultramarine for upcoming ITC Major

Paulinus

So I have an ITC major coming up.  Going to be playing hard mode with Ultras.  I have a few variants of this list that I have been practicing with. 

Nephilim missions and optimized terrain placement will be used. 

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [103 PL, 2,000pts, 3CP] ++

+ Configuration [6CP] +

**Chapter Selector**: Ultramarines

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) [6CP]

Detachment Command Cost

Gametype: 4. Chapter Approved: War Zone Nephilim

+ No Force Org Slot [2 PL, 35pts] +

Servitors [2 PL, 35pts]: Heavy bolter [5pts], 4x Servitor, 3x Servo-arm

+ HQ [22 PL, 395pts, -1CP] +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [7 PL, 135pts]: 2) Scryer's Gaze, 4) Storm of the Emperor's Wrath, 5) Psychic Shackles, Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Rod of Tigurius

Marneus Calgar [11 PL, 180pts, 1CP]: Adept of the Codex, Gauntlets of Ultramar, Stratagem: Warlord Trait [-1CP], Warlord

Primaris Techmarine [4 PL, 80pts, -2CP]: Forge bolter, Frag & Krak grenades, Grav-pistol, Mechadendrite, Omnissian power axe, Rites of War, Seal of Oath, Servo-arm, Stratagem: Hero of the Chapter [-1CP], Stratagem: Relic of the Chapter [-1CP]

+ Troops [16 PL, 340pts] +

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Incursor [84pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant [21pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades

Incursor Squad [5 PL, 105pts]
. 4x Incursor [84pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Occulus bolt carbine, 4x Paired combat blades
. Incursor Sergeant [21pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Occulus bolt carbine, Paired combat blades

Infiltrator Squad [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet [10pts]
. 4x Infiltrator [96pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades, 4x Marksman bolt carbine
. Infiltrator Sergeant [24pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Marksman bolt carbine

+ Elites [44 PL, 880pts, -2CP] +

Invictor Tactical Warsuit [8 PL, 160pts]: Fragstorm Grenade Launcher, Heavy bolter, Invictor fist, Twin ironhail autocannon, Twin ironhail heavy stubber

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 190pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

Redemptor Dreadnought [10 PL, 190pts]: 2x Storm Bolters, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon [5pts], Redemptor Fist

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 170pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin [30pts]

Relic Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, 170pts, -1CP]: 2x Twin volkite culverin [30pts]

+ Fast Attack [12 PL, 200pts] +

Assault Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL]
. 3x Space Marine [54pts]: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Space Marine Sergeant [28pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Thunder hammer [10pts]
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon [18pts]: Frag & Krak grenades
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Astartes Chainsword, Plasma pistol

Assault Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: Jump Pack [1 PL]
. 3x Space Marine [54pts]: 3x Astartes Chainsword, 3x Bolt pistol, 3x Frag & Krak grenades
. Space Marine Sergeant [28pts]: Frag & Krak grenades, Plasma pistol, Thunder hammer [10pts]
. Space Marine w/Special Weapon [18pts]: Frag & Krak grenades
. . Plasma Pistol & Chainsword: Astartes Chainsword, Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support [7 PL, 150pts] +

Eradicator Squad [7 PL, 150pts]: Heavy melta rifle [15pts]
. 2x Eradicator [90pts]: 2x Bolt pistol
. Eradicator Sgt [45pts]: Bolt pistol

++ Total: [103 PL, 2,000pts, 3CP] ++

Dreads and characters form the castle. Likely in the middle to push for Oath of Moment in most cases.

Seal of oath ensures something dies. 

Phobos units deploy to mid field objectives for early scoring. Assault marines are the back up. 
Invictor does it’s normal ultra shenanigans 

Only 3 CP to start but will possibly have 5 or 6 on turn 1.  Less if I rapid redeploy. 

So my main concerns.  Guilliman would be a good addition instead of Calgar but the points reduces other things obviously.

I’m only partially sold on the Contemptors.  Don’t get me wrong they’ve done good work for me especially with SOA. But not sure these are an include right now.  

Anyways.  C&C and or discussion welcomed.

Why only two plasma pistols on the Assault squads?  You can have three for free in a 5-man squad.

Might take a Phobos Lieutenant for Lord of Deceit to redeploy the Phobos units just in case.  He can also take the Seal of Oath, the advantage there is with the stratagem Inspiring Command extending his auras by 3” including Seal of Oath.

21 minutes ago, Black Blow Fly said:

If you drop one Contemptor you can take Roboute and you’ll have a lot more CP to start.

Yeah, that’s my other build.  But I’m not sure he’s worth it.  I’ve played it a few times and it has worked well enough with what I faced. 

So more CP,  G man buffs and melee abilities but lose 16 Volkite shots.  

12 minutes ago, CCE1981 said:

Why only two plasma pistols on the Assault squads?  You can have three for free in a 5-man squad.

Might take a Phobos Lieutenant for Lord of Deceit to redeploy the Phobos units just in case.  He can also take the Seal of Oath, the advantage there is with the stratagem Inspiring Command extending his auras by 3” including Seal of Oath.

Thank you.  That’s why I posted lol.  I will fix the plasma pistol issue.   Phobos Lt is an interesting choice.  I had some something similar with a Phobos captain not long ago.   It may be redundant though.  The unit I will likely want to redeploy is the Invictor so I would be dropping the strat anyways.  But I guess LoD would allow the Phobos to go into Tactical reserve whereas the strat does not.  Food for thought. 

Calgar can be a true monster with an apothecary and might of heroes… his only drawback is the gauntlets inflict d3 damage - still I’ve had him carve through entire flanks including Custodes.

2 hours ago, Paulinus said:

Thank you.  That’s why I posted lol.  I will fix the plasma pistol issue.   Phobos Lt is an interesting choice.  I had some something similar with a Phobos captain not long ago.   It may be redundant though.  The unit I will likely want to redeploy is the Invictor so I would be dropping the strat anyways.  But I guess LoD would allow the Phobos to go into Tactical reserve whereas the strat does not.  Food for thought. 

Uriel Ventris is worth a look - really worth his points imo .

I wouldn't take Guilliman just now as the Seal of Oath largely makes up for it with the Core Dreads. The firepower from the additional Contemptor is quite useful for your list if you come up against fast moving opponents, or when you lose stuff.

I'd keep the Techmarine over the Lieutenant simply because you can use Wisdom of the Ancients if needed and the repairs are most useful on vehicles.

I've got little to add as the list is pretty good. In games, don't do what I often and forget to use Avenge the Fallen! For 1 CP you get Captain Rerolls on your army against a unit that killed something for the whole game, usable every phase!

It won't always be applicable for you since you're using Calgar but when the army is spread around the table it can be quite useful.

Edited by Captain Idaho

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished up the tourney.

I placed 39th out of 126.  And I was the only Ultramarine Army there.

Game 1- Blood Angels  WIN

Game 2- Craftworld      DRAW

Game 3- CSM Emperor’s Children LOSS

Game 4- Thousand Sons WIN

Game 5- CSM Emperor’s Children WIN

Game 6- Genestealer Cult LOSS

So WDLWWL.  Not too bad given that I wanted to break even on win/loss ratio.   Every single army  save for the thousand sons were armies I haven’t faced in 9th.  

Calgar was great.  His buffs were doing what they had too.  He did a number against TS Terminators in game 4 and managed to finish off Abbadon in melee in game 5 against ECs.

Tigurius kept getting himself killed.  I lost him in 3 out of 6 games for dumb reasons.

Incursors we’re workhorses getting me objective points in most games.

A note on WE MARCH FOR MACRAGGE.  I used it twice I got 12 points in one game and 8 in an other.  It’s situational but easier than it may seem to get.  I’m going to test it more. 

I used the Ultramarine specific psychic powers.  In particular was scryer’s gaze.  Getting that guaranteed CP was really helpful.

techmarine with rites of war was amazing and saved me so much by making the dreads and other core units OBSEC.

Overall was an OK showing considering I brought UMs. 

1 hour ago, Captain Idaho said:

Great set of results.

I too find our Librarians to be quite vulnerable and not that offensive to really impress me. Glad you enjoyed Scrier's Gaze.

How did the Assault squads perform?

So my list was modified from my original posted here.  Instead of two assault squads I only took one and replaced the other with a suppressor squad. 

as far as performance the AS squad was pretty good.  The free plasma pistols worked well at killing two wound models and the Sgt TH was a threat.  More importantly it allowed me to reach out to objectives or hit the center for oath quite nicely.  The mobility really helped.   I only deep struck once with them but it helped to get things like engage.

they also made for an excellent counter attack unit.  

I’d use them again for sure. 

That's great news. I think GW may have finally found a sweet spot for that unit, with a combination of cheapness, reasonable weapons, speed and objectives in the main rules.

How'd you find the Suppressors?

Edited by Captain Idaho

Suppressors aren’t terrible.  With UMs as you guys know they don’t suffer from any shooting penalties in the tactical doctrine. 

I pretty much had them in deep strike most games.  They were able to be decent at helping to dislodge a few back units.  The issue is that I faced so many armies with AOC.  The 9 auto cannon shots is really good but ap 1 has a hard time cracking marine equivalent. I may see if plasma  inceptors might do better. 

But at 90 points, able to use Transhuman and/or smoke (tbh I didn’t because of CP limitations) and much longer range than the assault marines they gave me a bit of flexibility.  

I’ll see what I can cobble together.

CP usage wasn’t terrible.  Starting with 3, getting 1 every player turn coupled with scryers gaze and adept of the codex meant I rarely felt too hard pressed.   Strats I found myself using most games was wisdom of the ancients, guerrilla tactics, trans human.  I used rapid redeploy a couple of times, re engage, tactical doctrine etc.   The typical CPs we would use.  Oh and I made use of defensive focus a couple of times as well. 

so if I was forced to use rapid redeploy for 2 CP, I would have at least 1 left, gain one on the turn so at least two to start.  Then on my turn I was guaranteed another 2 CP