2250 Iron warriors Subterranean assault (first list, help!)

spafe

Hi guys,

So I'm new to HH and a few mates are planning a slow grow force campaign. My aim with this list is to make a list that will be my 'end goal', and then each month I'll do a unit or whatever towards that, not worrying about the lower level points lists being suboptimal but helping with making the greater force.

With that in mind, here is my 2250 first pass of a subterranean assault list (love the concept of breachers and shrapnel bolters storming out of tunnels).

Heavy assault force:

Cataphracti Praetor, Warsmith, T/hammer

2 Iron circle

5 Cataphracti, reaper auto, 1 chainfist

5 Tyrant siege terminators

leviathan, 2 cyclonic melta lances

Tunneling assault force:

10 Breachers, 2 meltaguns, T/hammer, shrapnel rounds, termite, H/flamer

10 Tacticals, P/weapon (which one?, do I switch for a grav mace?), Plasma pistol, Shrapnel rounds, Apoc, artificer armour, termite, H/flamer

10 Tacticals, P/weapon (same question), Plasma pistol, Shrapnel rounds, Apoc, artificer armour, termite, H/flamer

Am I better switching to have the apocs with the power weapons and (or?) pistols and giving the sargs the AA to let them tank shots?

Any other pitfalls I've gone into? the aim is the heavy inf will be durable enough to suffer some fire while having a little replenishment from the warsmith (he can heal iron circle or dread right?).

It looks like a solid list to me. I may have misunderstood but you don’t want your apothecary tanking shots for the squad so give the sarge artificer armour. 

You might also need to think of a way to deliver your standard terminators into the fight. They’re pretty slow footslogging because they can’t run which doesn’t matter as much for the tyrants as they have good ranged output but the standard terminators need to be in combat. 

Yes thats what I was asking, initially I thought to have the apoc with AA and the squad sarg with the fancy weapons, but yeah, I will inverse the 2 so I can give shots to the tac sarge with his AA and use the apoc for power weapon and plasma pistol attacks.

I was thinking the termies would just march forwards tanking shots with their heavy armour, firing the reaper auto... is that not okay? They were mainly in there as another 'cheap' unit of 2+ save stuff, to bulk out the force that would be on the table and contribute to the target saturation of the heavy infantry before the mining force arrives. They';ve all still got combi bolters as well to help at mid range.

At that point level the terminators will certainly be able to March forward and take some shots, particularly as your opponent is likely to prioritise the tyrants and the leviathan. The main risk isn’t that they’ll die it’s that they might not reach combat in time to be valuable but if you’re opponent is coming towards you as well it’ll be less of an issue :)

The only thing to be wary of is overextending with the drill units. Your heavy force is largely quite slow so you don’t want the drill units to be too far from support for too long or the enemy will be able to ignore the heavy stuff and kill your scoring units before turning their guns on the heavy stuff. Other than that it looks a fun list and will certainly be a cool spectacle on the table which is my main motivation for playing so in a way it’s already won! 

For the terminators, I might recommend finding points for a Warmonger Consul in Cataphractii armor.  It's in the Legacy unit PDF download.   Gives himself and the unit he joins Deepstrike!

I should have bought three termites when I had the chance.   But instead I'm going from the sky with two Dreadclaws and a Kharybdis.  C'est la guerre.  

On 8/6/2022 at 2:40 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Gives himself and the unit he joins Deepstrike!

I thought.. that no unit was allowed to deepstrike if I took the subterranean assault thing?

On 8/4/2022 at 4:57 PM, MARK0SIAN said:

The only thing to be wary of is overextending with the drill units.

Cheers, I will bear this in mind, and no doubt mess it up several times before I get it right. But as long as thats in game tactics I need to learn rather than spending monies on 'wrong' models, I'm less concerned. Just didnt want to drop a load of cash into stuff that doesnt play well together or gel well within the rules.

7 minutes ago, spafe said:

I thought.. that no unit was allowed to deepstrike if I took the subterranean assault thing?

Oh that's true I think. I just meant for terminators to get around the Warmonger is a great choice. 

But if the termites can carry them that'll work, and you can instead join a Siege Breaker or other consul to them.