Catachan Super-Heavy List Feedback

librisrouge

Hoping for some ideas to refine this list. The basic idea is to have 3 baneblade variants and then as much infantry as I can to chump block and take objectives. I went with Jungle Fighters for more shots on the ranged weapons and rerolls from Harker.

Any feedback is appreciated…

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [29 PL, 550pts, 6CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [6CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points) 

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Catachan

+ HQ +

Primaris Psyker - Nightshroud, Psychic Barrier, Warlord

Primaris Psyker - Nightshroud, Psychic Barrier

+ Troops +

Infantry Squad - meltagun, Vox-caster, and sergeant: Boltgun, Power sword

+ Elites +

Sergeant Harker

Tech-Priest Enginseer

++ Super-Heavy Detachment -6CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) [80 PL, 1,450pts, -6CP] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost [-6CP]

Regimental Doctrine: Regiment: Catachan

+ Lord of War +

Baneblade - Sponsons

Shadowsword - Sponsons

Shadowsword - SponsonS

Couple thoughts

you have no infantry officers. This is very bad for Catachan infantry supporting superheavies because you can’t move move move and you can’t use burn them out to turn off cover. Cut the engineseer, one infantry squad and change one primaris psyker to an astropath, who can also turn off cover, and you have 110 points to get an officer and a chimera. The officer inside the chimera can let you score inflexible command on your superheavies if they are within 12 of the chimera, and putting an infantry squad inside the chimera and putting the chimera right on the front of your Deployment Zone 12” away from a no mana land objective lets you do Special Orders on that objective turn 1 by getting out 3”, normal moving 6”, then being 3” away from the center of the objective.

also you are running two shadowswords which will benefit the least from catachan doctrine, only rerolling a single d3 for shots among 3d3 shots. If you want to stick w catachan I’d recommend hellhammer instead. 

8 hours ago, casb1965 said:

Not sure about the benefit of taking Primaris Psyker over Astropaths.

They may know 1 extra psychic power but they can only cast one per turn and you can't cast the same power twice in a round, so no Nightshroud on 2 units.

They also won't blow themselves up with one bad perils roll. :D

Not sure the infantry officer in a chimera works for vehicles and inflexible command...think it makes a distinction, as officer and vehicle officer are two different KWs. But don't have my book here right now.

But regardless, having an office is never a bad call. Orders are just too god.

Edited by sairence

1 hour ago, sairence said:

They also won't blow themselves up with one bad perils roll. :D

on a 1 in 18 chance of perils with d3 damage the odds say both the Astropath and the Primaris die on the 2nd perils roll so the extra wound doesn't help. 

14 hours ago, Diagramdude said:

Sairence, there is no “VEHICLE OFFICER” keyword, just VEHICLE and OFFICER that combine together. So a Chimera gaining the OFFICER keyword becomes a VEHICLE OFFICER because it was already a VEHICLE.

You can check the Tank Commander datasheet to confirm

I stand corrected on the keyword existing. :)

So its just the Nephilim secondary that's kinda borked, because it does actually call for the VEHICLE OFFICER kw...which doesn't exist. There's also technically no mechanic for combining two separate keywords to make a new one in the current ruleset. So, apart from the lack of clarity on how it treats reserves and embarked units, we have this as an additional problem. Happy days. XD

Just now, sairence said:

Borked edit

Edited by sairence
Messed up reply

On 8/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, casb1965 said:

Not sure about the benefit of taking Primaris Psyker over Astropaths.

They may know 1 extra psychic power but they can only cast one per turn and you can't cast the same power twice in a round, so no Nightshroud on 2 units.

The idea is to take the instead of the officer to save points. A primaris psyker is cheaper than an astropath and a company commander and I wanted as many bodies as possible within the point limitations. Of course, I can take an astropath instead of the techpriest (who was mostly there to fill out the remaining anyway) and replace the primaris with an officer there. It would allow me to snag some orders, at the least.

Sairence keywords have been additive the entire edition. It works just like any other additive keywords. Think of all the rules you've read that refer to CADIAN INFANTRY or ASTRA MILITARUM VEHICLE. It's not written CADIAN, INFANTRY or ASTRA MILITARUM, VEHICLE etc. So a model qualifies as a VEHICLE OFFICER if it has the keyword VEHICLE and OFFICER. Only tank commanders have both native to their datasheet, but all transports become VEHICLE OFFICERS once an infantry officer embarks. 

I took this list to a RTT this weekend. I swapped the techpriest for an astropath. The hope was to work in Psychic Interrogation as a viable secondary. It was a mistake. The techpriest or an officer would have been much, much better. More often than not, the astropath sat there and did nothing.

I faced off against two knight lists and a death guard army and encountered all of the flaws I figured I would:

• Not enough firepower to kill fast enough (you've got 1 turn to meaningfully diminish the enemy).
  • Not enough bodies to take objectives (guard squads evaporate if looked at by almost all things).
  • Secondaries were very difficult to accomplish. The IG ones just aren't very good, imo, unless you build the army specifically for them.
  • Fitting three baneblade variants into a deployment zone is very difficult and often leaves you vulnerable.

I did, however, get to see some strengths:

• My psychic powers helped me pick which super heavy they'll be shooting. Both of them make a tank too difficult to kill, so they avoid shooting that one.
  • Shadowswords are sexy as hell and I'm somewhat tempted to take three. The main gun can reliably delete tough units as long as they don't get swingy invulnerables.
  • Heavy bolters do work and I love them.
  • Overwatch + Defensive Guns is fun for the whole family.
  • Meltaguns are definitely worth it on the infantry squads.

I ended up going 1-2. Knight shooting is no joke and I didn't do enough against one list before he got to go and starting making me pick up tanks. The 2nd knight player was different. I got a bit lucky and killed him fast enough to take the advantage. The death guard boxed me in and I ended up tabling him with most of my army still intact but he was too far ahead on points by then.

My biggest take away was that I really need to work on earning points in primaries and secondaries.