I'm looking for a short story.

Bit of a long shot, but I'm wondering if this rings a bell with anybody here.. 

I remember reading a 40K short story years ago, may have been in a White Dwarf or something. It was about a kid on an Agri world who stumbles across a dreadnought chassis and started talking to it. The kid would go back all the time to sit and chat with the Dreadnought and it eventually turned out to be a Chaos Dreadnought, possibly Death Guard.. 

Does that ring any bells with anybody else? 

I've never been able to find it since but it has always been stuck in my head..

Nurgle_Dreadnought_ml.jpg

++ FOUND IT!! ++

Turns out it was the short story 'Warped Stars' from the Deathwing Omnibus of short stories. 

The thing I thought was a dreadnought was actually a possessed 'Iron Man' Artificial Intelligence from the Dark Age of Technology! (It was like two decades ago that I read it haha!) 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, aa.logan said:

I can’t help, but that story sounds either really familiar and/or absolutely incredible.

I found it with some help on Facebook. It was a short story called 'Warped Stars' which can be found in the Deathwing short story anthology. 

The thing I thought was a dreadnought was actually a possessed Iron Man AI from the DAoT haha! (Like Urr-025 from Blackstone Fortress!) 

In my defence, it had been like two decades since I read it haha!

I remember that story. It is told with Ian Watson's usual body-horror approach to Chaos. Funnily enough, despite being around 30 years old, the story still fits quite well in the current setting. Witches being tortured, a population kept in general ignorance, Inquisitor, Marines and a Squat (Votann). It was a fun read.

3 hours ago, fire golem said:

How did it hold up?

It was good. I enjoyed it! 

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I remember that story. It is told with Ian Watson's usual body-horror approach to Chaos. Funnily enough, despite being around 30 years old, the story still fits quite well in the current setting. Witches being tortured, a population kept in general ignorance, Inquisitor, Marines and a Squat (Votann). It was a fun read.

It was really good. Still holds up well. I think they edited certain bits from the originals here and there through the anthology to fit into current lore a bit better though.