Falling Back with Jump Packs

NemoVonUtopia

I have had a couple of games where my Raven Guard Dark Furies failed a moral test and my opponent said that they should fall back 3d6". I disagreed and looked through the rulebooks and did not see anything in the moral section nor in the jump pack wargear that would indicate that they would not fall back 2d6" like all other infantry. Since this has come up multiple times I would like to check if I am right or am missing anything.

An additional jump pack question, is there any reason why the jump packs could not be activated when disembarking from a transport like a storm eagle? 

On the Falling Back question - the rule is "Fall Back Moves are 2D6", unless a rule specifies otherwise" per page 192. Jump Packs set the Movement Characteristic to 12 for the duration of the turn, and gain any other benefits of a M characteristic of 12 per page 163. There's a specific callout that this includes a bonus to charge distance, but nothing about falling back distances.

In the previous edition Jump Pack units would Fall Back 3D6", so maybe check your opponent hasn't assumed this is the same.

13 hours ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

I disagreed and looked through the rulebooks and did not see anything in the moral section nor in the jump pack wargear that would indicate that they would not fall back 2d6"

In this instance, your opponent has made the claim, and the onus is on them to find the rule that says 3d6! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, NemoVonUtopia said:

I have had a couple of games where my Raven Guard Dark Furies failed a moral test and my opponent said that they should fall back 3d6". I disagreed and looked through the rulebooks and did not see anything in the moral section nor in the jump pack wargear that would indicate that they would not fall back 2d6" like all other infantry. Since this has come up multiple times I would like to check if I am right or am missing anything.

An additional jump pack question, is there any reason why the jump packs could not be activated when disembarking from a transport like a storm eagle? 

Activated how when disembarking? Like a charge?

Yes, but only if you declared the storm Eagle was hovering and not zooming that turn.

Zooming means you have to move at least the full movement characteristic,  and you can only move uo to half your move if you want to disembark.

Additionally the hover subtype states its how passengers embark and disembark.

51 minutes ago, NemoVonUtopia said:

Yes, to get the bonus to the charge and to move more than 7" when disembarking. Could a storm eagle move 9" then a unit disembark 12" from using jump packs then charge with the bonus from having 12" movement.

On 8/16/2022 at 2:58 PM, Altis said:

Activated how when disembarking? Like a charge?

PG 163 of the core book.

There is no mention of additional fall back distance on falling back under the jump pack section, therefore the fall back range is 2D6 UNLESS your jump packs variant has a special rule that says they do.

Edited by Misterduch