Hi from an old guy

Hi everyone, Mike from Kent in the UK here returning to WH after far too many years for my liking.

I first started playing when my son was 10 and I was 39, he played the Blood Angel Space Marines and I was the Orks. Time marched on, we both got older and after selling our gear I thought I had seen the last of the hobby.

So, imagine my surprise when my now 35 year old son asked me, his 64 year old dad if I “fancied getting back into warhammer”

I obviously said yes so we purchased an Elite edition starter kit meaning he is back representing his beloved Blood Angels and I am now building a Necron army.

We popped into our local Games Workshop in Maidstone and picked Gary’s brains and within 30 minutes it was as if my son had not been away, I on the other hand felt like they were talking a different language mainly due to owning a 64 year old brain now.

I will do my best but it’s obvious I am in a minority at my age and bound to struggle but the enjoyment I get from building and painting the figures as well as the terrain will far outweigh any struggles I have with the 9th edition and Codex.

I will no doubt have a ton of questions going forward so can I ask in advance you be gentle with me :thanks:

Mike

Welcome back to the hobby! Awesome to see someone still gaming and enjoying in their 60's I'd hope to be the same! On the plus side, regular mental stimulation like gaming is shown to stave off degenerative disorders, so play 40k for your health! 

The 9th ed ruleset is kind of overwhelming at first, personally I'd just start with the space marine and necron codexes, and the rulebook, and ignore any additional FAQ/rules changes from there until you're more comfortable with the game. Forget about stratagems entirely until you're comfortable with the core rules.

The game's not all that different to previous editions, have fun and share you models/journey getting back into the game with us! 

Edited by Xenith

Thanks for the welcome Nemesor, Wulf I am looking forward to getting stuck in again.

Xenith, thanks for the welcome, I like your suggestion re playing 40k for my health, I shall tell my wife that when she questions my latest purchases.

Spot on re the rules book and Codexs, that’s exactly the route we decided on.

The Elite box set has seven missions in the rule book and each mission introduces new characters as we build and paint them so we should have a good base to start from when we buy the bigger books.

Welcome Mike!

I think its great that you and your son are back in the hobby, great choice and a good excuse to spend time together too. My son is 7 and he's slowly starting to take an interest.

When 10th edition comes next year, apparently the rules are getting a big refresh so everyone will be on the same page anyway.

Hey @Bilirubin, nice introduction story!

I am also a Mike from Kent though closer in age to your son (+10ish years).

I'm not longer in The Garden, is the shop still in Pudding Lane? It was the only GW store I recall from when I was first in the hobby back in '91.

Have fun with your Necrons! My son likes the look of them from watching a Kill Team battle report the other day.

11 hours ago, Cyrox said:

Welcome Mike!

I think its great that you and your son are back in the hobby, great choice and a good excuse to spend time together too. My son is 7 and he's slowly starting to take an interest.

When 10th edition comes next year, apparently the rules are getting a big refresh so everyone will be on the same page anyway.

Oh great, I spend the next 12 months learning the 9th and then the 10th come out. 

I am running out of time :biggrin:

10 hours ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

Hey @Bilirubin, nice introduction story!

I am also a Mike from Kent though closer in age to your son (+10ish years).

I'm not longer in The Garden, is the shop still in Pudding Lane? It was the only GW store I recall from when I was first in the hobby back in '91.

Have fun with your Necrons! My son likes the look of them from watching a Kill Team battle report the other day.

Hi Mike, yes the shop is still in Pudding Lane and very busy. They did have a large GW in the Bluewater centre but that has been closed.

There are also a few independent shops dotted around Kent selling 40k so that is handy as well.

On 8/11/2022 at 5:28 AM, Bilirubin said:

The Elite box set has seven missions in the rule book and each mission introduces new characters as we build and paint them so we should have a good base to start from when we buy the bigger books.

Welcome back, Living Ancestor.

I saw how you were talking about painting.  In case the shops haven't mentioned it, there have been innovations in new speedpaints and techniques to make that aspect of The Hobby easier, faster and, imho, more enjoyable (rather than being a chore).  It's GW's Contrast paints and new Shades in particular, here's a sample from we were able to get our 1st hands-on, all of this was done in minutes (as so many players wanted a go we would take a painting spot for 15 minutes, then let someone else have a go):

gallery_57329_13636_9456.jpg

I'm not presuming anything about anyone's painting abilities, this is just a general heads-up for everyone returning to The Hobby, because it's been like a godsend.  Everything here was just 1 coat, the lot done within around 15 minutes.  I later went back to these models and finished them up, but saved an incredible amount of time.

Thanks for joining us here on Bolter & Chainsword, sharing the above because it's something that's just happened in the past 3 years.

Hi N1SB and thanks for the tips.

The one thing we have both noticed is the improvement in the paints and tutorials on how to use them. 25 years ago we were applying gloopy paint far too thickly and hoping for the best.

Now it’s all about shades, contrasts and dry brushing. I have selected a paint style for my Necrons based on a suggestion from YouTube, my son is still making his mind up.

I have just sprayed some Necron Warriors with a base coat of Leadbelcher in readiness for the detail work so I will take some pictures and post them on here as things progress.

Hi Jolemai,

No forums don’t seem to be his thing, he prefers to trawl the internet looking for snippets of information. I have tried to persuade him but nothing yet.

However I prefer to come to one place and take advantage of all the pics, tricks and info.

Its probably for the best, we don’t want another Blood Angel on here do we :biggrin:

Thanks for the welcome Orange Knight, I am already getting stuck into the Necron threads, plenty to keep me busy there.

Also thanks to KnightsofSigismund, yes good shout re the 10th however as you say we are getting some games in just to get back into it.

”36 and older” maybe I could set up a veterans league.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back! I will say, while 64 might be older than the typical warhammer player, you are probably younger than the typical historical wargamer! You will likely be able to get back into it easily! 

Warhammer just released the Horus Heresy, which has rules which are closer to those you might remember, though it's mostly a Marine on Marine affair.

I hope I get to play Warhammer with my daughter one day!

Thanks for welcome guys.

Marshall Mittens, good point re the age, it is what it is at the moment. I am just enjoying the entire experience of being back in the world of 40k. We are building and painting more than playing at the moment but the games we have played have been okay if a little limited. 

It’s certainly a good way to bond with the kids so good luck getting your daughter into it.

Brother Lunkhead, sounds like we have something in common, long may it continue.

Edited by Bilirubin

Welcome back! As I'm sure you'll have noticed, the models are a bit different now, in terms of detail and assembly! (I started in the mid-90's...)

There's lots of good information on the internet in terms of painting - from beginner stuff, right up to advice from Golden Demon winners (GW even has some tutorials on YouTube). If nothing else, modelling and painting may help with relaxation and fine motor skills :smile: (if you need an excuse for having toy soldiers around :tongue:)

Thanks Firedrake, I have to be honest and say I am not overly impressed with the new push fit models. Despite making adjustments I have still had to fill some gaps with Milliput on the Necrons Warriors.

I am certainly finding the building and painting relaxing as well 

13 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

That's a shame about the gap-filling being needed :sad: (I have a 10 of them in my "to be made" pile, so it's good to know) Normally the push-fit models go together well, although sometimes the "pegs" need to be shaved down a little.

Let me know how you get on, it could have been down to me but I did trim the pegs and look at other options but I was concerned if I went too far the arms may not fit. I have started a thread in the Necron section which is going to show me painting the warriors in stages.