How are you finding the performance of your Kratos?

Yeah totally! My working theory is thus:

The Astraeus is 30 wounds and one target, whilst the Kratos and Vindicator Laser Destroyer is a two target combination totally 29 wounds.

555pts (for the plasma and Heavy bolter options) compared to 505pts for the 2 tanks (with additional Multi-melta)...

The Astraeus was part of a winning tournament list and I'd say the combination of the Vindicator Laser Destroyer and Kratos should in theory do similar on the table.

The Macro Accelerator Cannon is a big draw. Really powerful weapon for its utility. However, the Laser Destroyer is equally powerful against single targets for its impact and threat, taking some slack off the Kratos.

Edited by Captain Idaho

Yeah, Heavy Bolters and Volkite getting a bonus to AP makes them a lot more useful en masse, though I must confess I'd probably avoid the Heavy Bolters still since Volkite just seems like a better option.

And Lascannons love AP-4!

• 1 month later...

I hd a 2k game at the weekend using two Kratos and Guilliman and the tanks performed wonderfully. The pair of them held a flank on their own and drew alot of fire which saved a few of my troops for counter attacking 'da jumping' mobs and deepstriking stormboyz. In the end the Volkite Kratos suffered three wounds turn one which were healed by the Techmarine and the new lascannon and Melta Kratos was unharmed until the last turn when a suicidal big mek managed nine wounds off between shooting and combat.

I've no doubt against an opponent with more ranged (and accurate) antitank I'd lose one or both tanks early on. But they are great fun to play with so I'm not too fussed about the list not being very competitive.

Honestly sixes on the volkite Kratos is great, but it has enough high strength damage 2 shots that it can still mow down entire squads at a time with ease without generating a single mortal wound. The very low AP can be annoying when your facing an opponent with decent armour saves, but being able to stay in Devestator doctrine longer can help mitigate that. The high strength and damage 2 does mean it's a threat to vehicles and monsters as well. But to give the list some more high strength, high damaage teeth, the 2nd Kratos has 4x lascannons, melta blast gun and a pintle multi melta.

I'm runnng both of mine close to Guilliman to re-roll 1s to hit, with a Techmarine nearby to heal damage, tell one to hit on 2s, and carry seal of Oath around. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have only used my Melta/Lascannon one so far; it did ok. For me it was not amazing, but it was overall very decent. Vehicles have not been in the best spot in a few editions.

I hope most/all of the HH stuff makes it over to 40k, I really like the new kits and the ease of building most of them. The Kratos is in a good place where it almost looks and feels like a super heavy, but its not too expensive and doesn't have so massive a foot print that it's not easily playable. I like it.

My Dark Angels will have the Choom wagon because DAOT tech, and I hope it will deliver many wins for the Choom God.