Centurion Devastator or Centurion Assault Squad?

Maggotlord

After AoC rules, assault centurions really seen some tournament play. They can't receive <core> related buffs from characters, but could be revived by apothecary as normal. 

Comparing with other "bulky shooty walking stuff", like paragon or obliterator, raw power of shooty centurion is just toooo weak. I don't even mentioned battlesuits…

3 hours ago, XeonDragon said:

Bigger and tougher than Aggressors. More shots (and potentially higher strength/AP shots) than Terminators. More wounds than both. Worth a look. 

Tougher than Aggressors, true although you would take 4 Aggressors for the points of 3 Cents. More shots than both, that's true, but no buffs.
More wounds base, yes. But for the same points - not really. In a 180-205pts area (depending on loadouts) squad of Cents will have 12 wounds, Termies - 15, Aggressors - 12.

1 hour ago, CCE1981 said:

There are ways to buff them.  They just lack core.  Soulwarden would still give them a 5++.  I think there are ways to make them work just gotta find them.

As for buffing - I meant damage output buffing. Soulwarden and Narthecium auras will work as will Veil of Time, Psychic Fortress and Shield of Sanguinius psychic powers. Also Sergeant can be given Master-crafted for one of his weapons and that's I the only damage buff I found (I'd happily take it for his Siege Drills)

Their main strength is persistence - number of wounds, 2+Save and AoC mean a dedicated AT weapons need to be directed against them and even then it's not guaranteed it will be possible to wipe the whole squad. And if thy are not killed outright, a single raise from the SP brings back 33% of the unit.

I'm not saying they are bad. Siege drills attacking at S10 and -4AP and 3D (4D if you master-craft the Sergeant) are scary on their own. Especially since Cents are not the only thing in our army that wants to get to grips with the enemy. They also can turn-off overwatch/cause some MWs with a strat (only Infantry/bikers).

Edited by Majkhel