Knight House 2k List for Tournament

librisrouge

Next month my FLGS is participating the in the champs tournaments and I've decided to pick up a ticket. I'll be taking my knights because they're the only army I'll have fully painted by then and I don't feel like playing with a 10 pts handicap. Now, I've not played knights since the new book came out but I'll be trying to get in a few practice games. Here are some limitations that I am imposing on myself:

• Imperial Knights only
    • I didn't get into this army to play the diet Adeptus Titanicus
  • No armiger swarm
    • I'm fine using them but I don't like the 7+ lists. Feels wrong, somehow.
      • This almost certainly means 3+ questoris knights are required
  • I'd like to work in a FW knight....
    • ...but without crippling my own chances (so probably not.)

Here is the list I'm currently considering:

House Hawkshroud (I just love their trait)

Oaths: Defend the Realm and Lay Low The Tyrants

Starting CP: 2 CP

Knight Crusader (Warlord) - Rapid-Fire Battle Cannon, Stormspear Rocket Launcher, Endless Fury, and Blessed by the Sacristans

Knight Errant (Knight Baron) - Monarchsward and Ion Bulwark

Knight Galland (Knight Barron) - Landstrider

Armiger Warglaves x3 - Meltaguns

Armiger Moiraxe - Volkite Veuglaire

Battle Plan:

The errant acts as a bodyguard for the crusader, allowing him multiple turns of sending firepower down range while the two of them move to wherever they need to go. One armiger can use the errant to get an almost certain first turn charge, if the situation calls for it. The warglaves and gallant will pressure the enemy as needed, using their speed to get where they need to go and help to ensure the charge is successful. The Moiraxe is there to provide more anti-light firepower. A few opponents around here like to drop numbers and I worry about having enough shots if I go up against them (plus its VOLKITE!) It'll like be the crusader's bondsman for as long as possible.

Ideas and thoughts?

If you're going with a YOLO Gallant to rush forward, I would definitely invest in giving him Sanctuary. Big Knights in melee without an invun often have a sad time if the opponent gets to hit them. What FW-Knights do you have available? If it's got the Questoris kw, you're good on CP, and if you're only bringing 4 Armigers missing out on the Bondsman stuff isn't that bad.

I also wouldn't sleep on the Herald upgrade. Slapping a 4++ on two Armigers and the sending them forward with Advance and charge can be extremly annoying and I'm not sure Monarchsward is going to do much, if you're launching a Gallant forward anyway.

Also think about your Oaths. Lay loaw is a powerful buff, but can also be pretty punishing on the honour points. If your secondary plan involves Honour the House (which it should) that can swing against you quickly. And with Knights its really hard to regain momentum if it starts going against you.

Personal experience, I've tried the 3 big Knight builds a few times and always struggled a lot with making it work. My list now is a Crusader/Errant/5 Warglaive/2 Helverin Freeblade list that's been putting in serious work. But I've seen good results by other people with your type of list as well, so maybe I've just played it wrong. :D

I can certainly understand the frustration with the direction of the current Knight Codex. My 2000 point army is one Gallant, one Paladin, one Crusader, a Cerastus Castigator and one Armiger Warglaive. I don't dislike the Armiger models as all but I didn't ask to play Imperial Squires, the Codex is called Imperial Knights! :tongue:

Seriously though, I just played my first game with my Knights against my friend's maiden voyage with his Chaos Knights. The extra models really did help with his board control and I was eventually tabled by his force, though I gave him a pretty big repair bill. His Tyrant just harpooned most of the Knights I had and his other Knights picked them off piecemeal.

I used the Knight Baron stratagem to give my Castigator the Blessed by the Sacristans warlord trait and farmed for mortal wounds. It worked okay but the weapon itself was fairly lacklustre against other Knights. His sword did a fair bit of work though.

9 hours ago, sairence said:

If you're going with a YOLO Gallant to rush forward, I would definitely invest in giving him Sanctuary. Big Knights in melee without an invun often have a sad time if the opponent gets to hit them. What FW-Knights do you have available? If it's got the Questoris kw, you're good on CP, and if you're only bringing 4 Armigers missing out on the Bondsman stuff isn't that bad.

I was thinking the same thing on the way into work this morning. I'd forgotten about Sanctuary, which is weird because it was one of my favorite relics in editions past and how it is better than ever. I'll almost certainly be spending a CP to give him that.

I'm severely tempted by the magaera and styrix. I've got both but I need to get around to painting them. I'm thinking of writing up a list with one or both and seeing where it takes me.

I also wouldn't sleep on the Herald upgrade. Slapping a 4++ on two Armigers and the sending them forward with Advance and charge can be extremly annoying and I'm not sure Monarchsward is going to do much, if you're launching a Gallant forward anyway.

Herald is tempting as heck. I'm sadly low on points without dropping anything. I'll be trying to be a practice game or three in before the event. If Monarchsward doesn't help, I'll almost certainly be swapping it out.

Also think about your Oaths. Lay loaw is a powerful buff, but can also be pretty punishing on the honour points. If your secondary plan involves Honour the House (which it should) that can swing against you quickly. And with Knights its really hard to regain momentum if it starts going against you.

I'll have to bear that in mind. I've been the target of Lay Low a few times now, so the power of the ability is tempting. I'm leery of its potential to subtract honor points but I'm hoping that being House Hawkshroud will help me a bit if it just makes it more difficult to earn points.

4 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I can certainly understand the frustration with the direction of the current Knight Codex. My 2000 point army is one Gallant, one Paladin, one Crusader, a Cerastus Castigator and one Armiger Warglaive. I don't dislike the Armiger models as all but I didn't ask to play Imperial Squires, the Codex is called Imperial Knights! :tongue:

I'm absolutely going to have to remember that phrasing; it captures my sentiments precisely. Armigers are great and all but they should be the support elements in the codex, not the other way around. 

4 hours ago, Magos Takatus said:

I used the Knight Baron stratagem to give my Castigator the Blessed by the Sacristans warlord trait and farmed for mortal wounds. It worked okay but the weapon itself was fairly lacklustre against other Knights. His sword did a fair bit of work though.

The Castigator with Blessed was the first thing my mind went to when the codex dropped. At least until I realized how unwelcome it made FW knights. Glad to see I'm not alone.

I really hope they try harder to integrate the FW Knights into the rules. Having my Castigator running around painted up as the Princeps of my House but playing second fiddle to some guy in a Questoris Knight is a bit sad. All the times they have deliberately stated certain rules only apply to Questoris or Armiger models seems to suggest that they were purposely leaving Dominus, Cerastus and Acastus out of most of the codex mechanics. I can understand massive Acastus Knights being locked out of some stratagems and buffs due to their power but the Cerastus Knights sacrifice a carapace weapon for starters, they are barely faster than a standard Knight now. I might get some more Warglaives and possibly a Dominus Knight but I will most likely keep my Castigator handy for a while just because I like the model so much. 

• 2 weeks later...