Lord Question - Skulls in the Age of Darkness

What do skulls represent in 30K? Why does Imperial iconography always have skulls? Is there a meaning behind the skull?

I remember watching a Vox Cast with Jes Goodwin years ago. He was talking about skulls, stating that the skulls on armor and terrain represent the Emperor. I don’t remember if he was just talking about 40K but that’s how I remember it. Why would a skull represent the Emperor in 30K? Isn’t the Emperor’s symbol an eagle’s head with lightning bolts?

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Sons of Horus keep golden skulls of some enemy's. Probably makes sense to have some skull stuff.

Deathguard have a skull for a badge, and generally are called the DEATH Guard. So they probably would like skulls too, a bit, for iconography because of their badge and the skulls classic association with Death. 

Dark Angels have classically used the Angel of Death, in the form of the Skeletal Grim Reaper, as a symbol. A Skull could be easily Justified for them. 

Space Wolves like wolf skulls to decorate their fur suits.

I'm sure there are other examples that make sense, lore wise, for skulls as well. 

The winged skull is the Imperialis and a symbol of the loyalists during the heresy, not all marines.

Skull heraldry or even skull collecting is a common as muck military thing, though thankfully the latter is rarer these days :D It symbolises death and it really doesn't need a deeper meaning :D 

That's how I remember it as well, Loyalists had the winged skull as their campaign badge and the traitors had the Eye of Horus which I think dates back to the original Space Marine epic game.

Jes did say 40k skull icons represent the Emperor sat on the golden throne so it did throw me a bit when I saw them becoming more prominent on the new praetors in the starter set. 

I've just been assuming they are some form of campaign badge/honour marking. Maybe recognition for an impressive kill or a sign of having taken, and survived a serious injury in the line of duty.

30K kits have way fewer skulls on them than 40K minis. Compare the number of skulls and purity seals on the Mk.VII kits to the largely unadorned Mk.VI for example.