How do you feel about Mechanicus?

Personally I think there’s something else going on, which is a concerted effort to make actual space marines food. Anything that was good at slaughtering MEQs wholesale in 1.0 has taken a hit from the nerf bat, and fair enough. The Horus heresy was about space marines so that’s what we should see on tables. 

This doesn’t excuse some sloppy errors like they’ve made with the armigers. And hopefully Castellax will be worthwhile now, even if they can’t steamroller people any more. 

Edited by Mandragola

9 minutes ago, SkimaskMohawk said:

Mechanicum were extremely strong in 1st, with cybernetica only being bad because they caught a nerf way back when castellax used to be 85 points and had scoring.

But ya, a lot of the rules writing feels reactionary. Scars and their bikes feel much weaker, mechanicum took a huge nerf as a faction, plasma nerf, blasts nerf, expanded rules disaster, etc...

Feels like one of the lead designers spent years losing to their friends better lists and tactics and instead of trying to improve, decided to ruin those units lol.

Definitely has that flavour to it doesn't it? 

I wonder if they'd then go on and reward VP for using new units they possibly created in one of the saddest ego-:cuss: moves I may have ever seen? 

They seem alot more balanced now. Much more comfortable with the idea of playing against Admech and Knights lists now, They still have a ton of crazy crap and seeing things like Thallax and Vorax get better is cool for everyone. Knowing that these are just the basic starter lists with expansions to come down the line is pretty dope... Still waiting on Skitaari...

Also noticed a few units that don't have models in the main book so maybe there's a plastic kit coming soon for them?

Yeah there is a definitely an ideology being rammed through this edition with all the subtlety of a coked up bull and nary a care for what it breaks on the way through. Space marines are a big part of the Heresy obviously but i think this is the wrong way to go about doing it, make the lists compelling rather than artificially nerfing the things you dont like.

Mechanicum have been a verrry popular second faction since the birth of official Heresy games, ive dont whole Throne of Skulls events playing against nothing but Mechanicum and there was just as much variety as playing marines.

I doubt we will see much expansion at the current rate, just hoping we do get the needed FAQs.

It reeks of neglect, something we had come to expect for 1st over the years, but is rather shocking for a "new" core game system that had so much time to get right. 

A few people of picked up on it, but it feels like certain things (new mechanics, marines, and some specific units) were directed to be desirable, which is where the playtesting got focussed. Everything else was low on the list and got rushed out. 

On 8/14/2022 at 11:23 PM, OttoVonAwesome said:

They seem alot more balanced now. Much more comfortable with the idea of playing against Admech and Knights lists now, They still have a ton of crazy crap and seeing things like Thallax and Vorax get better is cool for everyone. Knowing that these are just the basic starter lists with expansions to come down the line is pretty dope... Still waiting on Skitaari...

Also noticed a few units that don't have models in the main book so maybe there's a plastic kit coming soon for them?

You can field skitarii with the new book

All it takes is GW to drop a ‘we know there are some mistakes, we’re gonna work on some FAQ and Errata’ post and at least we know they’re acknowledging it. But the whole radio silence thing was really tedious coming from FW for several years without an FAQ nor any word of it other than ‘when we know you will, I guess?’

3 minutes ago, TheFirstKnight said:

All it takes is GW to drop a ‘we know there are some mistakes, we’re gonna work on some FAQ and Errata’ post and at least we know they’re acknowledging it. But the whole radio silence thing was really tedious coming from FW for several years without an FAQ nor any word of it other than ‘when we know you will, I guess?’

GW would never do that because then they'd be admitting they've done something wrong, which is very bad PR so they choose damming silence instead.

1 hour ago, Torbenos said:

I believe he's refering to the Secutarii Peltast Phalanx from the Titan Legions. They're given weapon options like arc rifles and radcarbines, which makes them just the literal skitarii miniatures. 

Well, technically Secutarii have different helmets and backpacks.

Edited by lansalt

5 minutes ago, TheTrans said:

And I don't know of thats a deliberate move or a stuff up. 

I think thays the biggest issue so far, the sheer amount of stuff ups are moving into 'maybe it's deliberate' territory. 

It seems deliberate, in that it was beyond easy to get a ton of scoring in 1st, and now you have to dedicate some FOC slots/points to it properly.

That being said, the missions kind of discourage scoring, so it's a bit odd. Player skill and collection depending, you can get away with a very minimal scoring presence and just go for a kill point build; just be sure to contest the objectives properly and you should be fine.

2 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

Welp, now we are in desperate need of more details about this conversation.

I know its probably not much help but ive transcribed most of it in the past on here, my memory isnt exactly what it was though but to summarise: 

1. The Skitarii in this era are not as widespread of influential as they are in 40k, they are largely concentrated on the Mars founded/controlled forgeworlds and are just a cog in the greater Taghmata system rather than the primary (non titan) ground forces of the Mechanicus. 

2. They do however, end up being very influential in the Adeptus Mechanicus and as that is (re)forming post heresy they and part of a push for a more regimented/regular/controllable AM military, this is aided by the Titan legions being a shadow of their former selves, the Cybernetica being viewed as widely pro-horus and the Taghmata system being so obviously unreliable.

3. So rather than loads of cool cults and mad scientists slotting together, which works well against outsiders but is horribly compromised in a civil war you primarily have Titan and Skitarii legions with remaining cool cults and mad scientists on the fringes a bit, essentially the 40k lists, which at the time were still two codexes (Im pretty sure) 

But given the obsessively conservative nature of the AM the Skitarii that do exist in are almost identical to the 40k versions, he did drop some hints that we would probably see conversion kits rather than whole models, but thats possibly us projecting :D But i do think the "Secutarii" range was originally intended to be Skitarii variants and got repurposed, especially as Titan guard did tend to be depicted more "barbarian" at the time. I cant be definitive obviously! 

Definitely not doing justice to it all though, Alan Bligh was usually very good at not spilling any company secrets or anything but sometimes you ask a question that triggers this... flood that shows just how much time and thought he put into things and as a similarly inclined nerd it was amazing to discuss with him. Something very few of his peers manage, or are allowed to talk about anyway.

6 hours ago, Altis said:

You can field skitarii with the new book

Ish, Secutarii arent Skitarii, its like saying you can play you Sisters of battle army using Anathema Psykana profiles, yeah its kinda the right shape but it would be nice if it was actually right.

*sigh* and yeah they should have line, thats the thing more than anything that screws them over.