‘Lack of’ Events…..

conscriptboris

Hey all,

This is probably UK focussed (as I wouldn’t know what GW does in other countries). COVID is gone as far as restrictions are concerned, yet GW is only throwing these rubbish online events.

pre-COVID ‘Black Library/Horus Heresy/W40k Weekenders’ were routine, not too mention Warhammer fest (formally Gamesday)

I don’t do tournament play (I’d suggest those who actually play tournaments are a minority faction), but I enjoyed lore events, and in person events to get involved with the latest lore movements, and models.

Are these dead? Will they ever be back? Is purely online better for the hobby? Anyone got any rumours on these?

Regards,

conscriptboris

GW still do official events. They did one at Warhammer world recently to celebrate the launch of the new Heresy edition. 

The problem is, for their events at Warhammer World there’s only a few tickets and they’re all snapped up in milliseconds (probably by bots) so your chances of actually getting a ticket are a lot worse than they used to be for events. 

If they return to holding Warhammer Fest at a bigger venue then you might have a better chance of getting a ticket. 

Either way, they still do events so hopefully you’ll get to one :)

GW has held multiple weekend events at WHW recently, in addition to regular tournaments and such since at least last September. 16/17 July was an event for the release of the new contrasts and 23/24 was a HH gaming weekend for the new edition, and there's a WHW 30k tournament coming up at some point in the near future (I recall some posts asking which ruleset they'll be using, 1.0 or 2.0).

Are you on their mailing list?

There you go:

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/whats-on/events/

20 hours ago, MARK0SIAN said:

GW still do official events. They did one at Warhammer world recently to celebrate the launch of the new Heresy edition. 

The problem is, for their events at Warhammer World there’s only a few tickets and they’re all snapped up in milliseconds (probably by bots) so your chances of actually getting a ticket are a lot worse than they used to be for events. 

If they return to holding Warhammer Fest at a bigger venue then you might have a better chance of getting a ticket. 

Either way, they still do events so hopefully you’ll get to one :)

I didn’t notice that event.

previously these events were over a couple or few days (making tickets more available). I’ve been keeping my eye out on WW website, didn’t see the one mentioned.

Conscriptboris

9 hours ago, Xenith said:

GW has held multiple weekend events at WHW recently, in addition to regular tournaments and such since at least last September. 16/17 July was an event for the release of the new contrasts and 23/24 was a HH gaming weekend for the new edition, and there's a WHW 30k tournament coming up at some point in the near future (I recall some posts asking which ruleset they'll be using, 1.0 or 2.0).

Are you on their mailing list?

There you go:

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/whats-on/events/

Mate, tournaments can be thrown out 10 a penny, I have organised many.

As per my original post, I was talking about weekend long events, with seminars, discussion groups etc.

These were routine pre-COVID, and arguably take more effort to generate with a smaller impact than a podcast (I see the temptation not to bring back).

I used to attend all weekenders (work permitting), if they are dead, seems my hobby will go the same way. I’m in it for meeting people, not watching a screen and waiting a week to click order (one way communication at the moment.

1 hour ago, conscriptboris said:

I didn’t notice that event.

previously these events were over a couple or few days (making tickets more available). I’ve been keeping my eye out on WW website, didn’t see the one mentioned.

Conscriptboris

In terms of weekender events that aren’t tournaments there haven’t been many (if any) for quite a while, it’s at least two or three years since the last proper heresy weekender for example. The in person Warhammer fest may have been spread over a couple of days but I can’t recall exactly as it’s been a while since I went to one. 

Prior to Covid they still did a fair few single day events like New Years Open day etc where you could meet people and sit in seminars. I’m sure they’re keen to get back to those kind of events when possible. 

You’re also better checking the Warhammer Community website for any event rather than the Warhammer World one and they sell most of their tickets through eventbrite. 

That’s fair, I do check every now and again, the lack of news considering these are announced 3-6 months out depending on the size seems to imply nothing of Pre-COVID note will be happening prior to March 23.

I have noticed in the US some big ‘Festival’ type events have occurred with GW in attendance, but these have been organised externally to GW.

Fingers crossed for 2023!

conscriptboris

As above they are doing events again, but the ticketing side of it is a complete shambles - they need to get that sorted.

For the Horus Heresy event, I had 2 devices of my own, plus my wife on her iPad, and also my friend who I planned to go with - all of us trying to get tickets, but no joy.

There was a thread on here about it, and a lot of other members experienced the same issue trying to get the tickets.